[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline toleary34Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:56:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My family owns a cabin between price and duchesne utah.  about fifteen miles from our cabin is the famous castlegate mine.  butch cassidy and i believe two others went to the small mining town of helper about five miles form the mine.  based off of what i have read they dressed themselves as horsemen passing through town looking for people to challenge the speed and agility of their horses, while in reality they were casing (studying) the town, it's people, and the way the miners got their payroll.

The mine never leaked out information as to when the train carrying the payroll would be arriving, other than blowing the train whistle a couple of times as it pulled in on the rails at the actual sight of the mine, to signal the miners that the payroll had arrived and for them to come collect what was rightfully theirs.  Butch cassidy and i believe two others went directly to the mine and waited for the whistle of the stopping train to be blown, and the money to be unloaded.  The payroll officer and another gentleman were carrying the sacks of money and silver up a set of stairs to the payroll office when Butch and the others unmasked and armed, put a pistol barrel in their backs and told them to hand over the silver.

The one man dropped his sacks of silver and ran away, the other put his hands up and handed over the loot.  The bandits made a mad dash, with the bags of silver and and tossed some of them to and accomplice on a seperate horse.  the area was crowded with stunned miners coming to recieve their pay.  one of the bandits horses took off running as he climbed on and the rider fell.  another bandit raced on horse back to catch the horse that had the silver on it and eventually caught up with it as the horseless rider ran down the street to escape the mob and get to his horse, which he eventually did.

Rifle and pistol fire broke out, but the bandits were able to make a clean get away.  This is based off of the history i have read and have studied, however this is were legend comes into play.  One legend says that one of the sacks had broken and the silver coins had been strewn about on the ground for a considerable distance as they made their escape, and i do believe that in a history book that i read, it in fact mentioned that the string of silver thrown from the horses galloping away did in fact happen, but i don't want to write about it as being fact without knowing that is exactly what i had read.

Another historical fact about the outlaw group known as the wild bunch is that with every robbery of bank, train, or payroll office; they in fact would have relays of fresh horses to change out and make a hastier get way.  Now this ties into a legend in which it is said that a pair of their horses were in fact trained like trail mules or horses, to return to a certain point.  Butch Cassidy and Matt Warner, another famous outlaw in fact met racing horses against eachother, and traveled the land racing their hosres against others before they turned to full blown banditry by robbing the Montipellor bank in Idaho; they were deffinately men who cared for, and trained horses to perform to the best of their abilities.

The legend says that they had trained horses to return to a certian point, so they went to a rally point, switched out with fresh horses, loaded the silver onto one or two horses, slapped them ont he butt, and then let the horses return to where they were trained to go, while the outlaws headed of in their given direction or directions to head off a posse.  When the mine was robbed there was no way for them to alert the lawmen in Price Utah other than to disconnect the steam engine from the rest of the train and go as fast as they could, down the rails through Helper Utah and down to price blowing the whistle to signal and alert the people and lawmen that the mine had been robbed.

If i remember correctly, by the time the train got to price and posse was formed the bandits were to far ahead, and had headed to a god forsaken place int he desert known as robbers roost or towards the Colorado border and the lawmen after a short chase actually called the hunt off and went home.  The legend goes on to say that the silver that had been loaded onto the horses had infact been burried somewhere by the outlaws that had eventually met up with those horses.  The legend also has it that they burried the silver right where my cabin sits in utah.

If anyone else has any information on the legends that involve the payroll and silver from the Castlegate mine robbery, please let me know.  you can be assured that i'll be out at my cabin with my metal detector this summer every chance i get. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13700.msg86688.html#msg86688

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:03:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting story.  Got to love those Wild Bunch leads.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13700.msg86689.html#msg86689

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: