[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 12:09:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

random thoughts...

Seems like if they had enough interest to gather a vault full of bars floor to ceiling we would have evidence of it in the cultural objects like the Aztecs and Mayans of the southern part of the Americas. I'm not terribly familiar with that culture so perhaps there is, but all I remember seeing reported are common useful items from a hunter gatherer culture. Utilitarian was more valuable than shinies, cause shinies didn't feed the bulldog.

If the Cherokee culture didn't value the objects I can't see any reason for them to go to the monumental effort to hide and guard it. Most especially to sacrifice "spirit warriors" who would be important to the welfare of the tribe, not to mention have families, loved ones etc. I'd guess the bones belonged to whoever left the treasure there since they never came back for it that we know of.

Another interesting thought is were any cultures of that area using red ochre in burial ceremonies? Red bones....

There are some news stories of stuff being dug up mostly in the 1800s of stone coffins supposedly from an earlier culture but none of those stories has physical evidence to support it to my knowlege. Most are thought to be creative journalism, but perhaps not all were? If it was from an earlier culture though I would think the cave would be shunned since most native cultures seemed to be superstitious or at least respectful of the dead. Although the story does say that no one but the two natives who took the trapper to the cave knew of it. They were apparently comfortable with it's origins since the chief was willing to give it away. (not sure I buy the whole marry my daughter story though)

So I agree with you Seldom, throwing the fantastical aside it's likely a later origion than Desoto, but the question is who in 1700ish would have wealth of that nature and size, and who would leave it lying about? The list of suspects can't be too large can it?

Given the mention of spanish armor I would think galleon salvage would be most likely. Unless there is a good reason to believe the area could support a very rich mine it had to come from outside. Still it's a long way from the beach...

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22802.msg162781.html#msg162781

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: