[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline davTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm new here and have a real (sort of) treasure story, and can even point you to the property on Google maps. However, it wasn't cool to go there 35 years ago and I have no idea whether the present owners have any idea about the history of their land, or whether I should post the location on the Internet.

The legend of Jean Lafitte's treasure

There are lots of legends about Jean Lafitte and possible treasure sites. I know of one because I lived but a few hundred yards away. Around 1968 a couple guys were diving in the bayou and came up with a sword from the muddy bottom. A few months later, after some cleaning and verifying (by whomever, I don't remember) someone dated the sword to the same period.
Until I hear more about the ethics involved, I'll say only that it was in Southwest Lousiana, and the bayou in question was far from prying eyes during the time of Jean Lafitte.

We kept our boat on the same bayou, and I've done a little diving in the same spot, never finding anything. In those days, there was a very large alligator living nearby who was a frequent visitor to the dock, and as such it wasn't a popular swimming hole.

Just across the bayou was the rumored treasure site of Jean Lafitte. All of the locals new the story, but there was some disagreement as to which part of the bayou, and which high ground the treasure was buried on. The story went, many treasure hunters had dug holes all over the properties in question until the owners became angry and ran them all off. All I know is where the sword was found. **edit** I also know the location of the supposed treasure site, and it appears to be the same large property today, with a single house and driveway.

Wikipedia Link to Lafitte:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Lafitte

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20997.msg139871.html#msg139871

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:26:07 pm by dav »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:33:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like it's time to have a Chit Chat with the new owners!

Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20997.msg139873.html#msg139873

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:44:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dav all our story' s are legend or rumors. If you state its private property then its up to the searcher to get permission to hunt. All you are doing is telling what you know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20997.msg139879.html#msg139879

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline davTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:00:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well since you're a mod here goes.

Zoom in on Lake Charles Louisiana and find Giovanni St. It ends at what now looks to be a large modern marina on the left if you were driving down the street. That bayou is the one, and those woods across it is the place. The sword was found just south of the end of the street where there is a little loop in the bayou with what appears to be a tiny island in the middle of the loop.

I tried to get a lat-long coord of the exact spot but don't know how. If you can tell me I;ll show you exactly where the sword was found.

As you can see, that is a large wooded property with a house at the end of a long driveway. From where the house is, all the way down the driveway, and all over those woods is the place. It's surrounded by development now, it used to be a mosquito infested bayou complete with alligators and snakes, and you had to step carefully when you went into those woods.

Posted on: January 26, 2011, 05:58:20 PM
it was right between dry land and the tiny island in that loop.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20997.msg139887.html#msg139887

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: