[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline larbuckle
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 09:00:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/08/19/forrest-fenn-wants-you-to-find-his-treasure-and-his-bones.html

here is a good article to read but im with you texan at 79 it cant be that far into the mountains. in this article he says he wants to die next to the treasure so who ever finds it will also find his bones. kinda creepy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg231343.html#msg231343

Offline Connecticut Sam
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

366.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 02:00:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

I had heard about this story on another website, great story.  I am from Connecticut and interesting in any true stories about treasures in Connecticut.   farmboy61@att.net

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg246704.html#msg246704

Offline Plasmalupus
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 12:54:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I find it odd that the most important part of the poem is almost discarded trying to chase the clues as to the location.  I have posted the "answer" to the location on the Youtube video.

Apparently, I am no longer allowed to post on the official Forrest Fenn website blogs....they only want the Kool-aid drinkers.  You really need the book to understand what I have to say.

Please Register or Login

Forrest Fenn's Hidden Treasure Chest---full of gold coins and nuggets

The "why" is rally tantamount in understanding Forrest Fenn, what he did, how he did it and the BIG why?   The poem/book has be likened to a riddle wrapped in mystery inside an enigma and is actually three stories in one.   First and foremost, it's a love story, 2nd it's a great treasure "story" and 3rd.... it's designed to get people off their butts and out "there" searching, digging, probing, hunting in and about the lands that actually belong to US!  But are managed, controlled, administered and overlooked by a bunch of bureaucrats that would keep us out and off of our land. 

There are clues in the book that suggest that the whole treasure story is just that.... a story.   

In the very beginning of the book there is the story of the lesson he learned from his father.... about not telling the "whole" truth.  In life that is actually a very valid lesson, but in a court of law not telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth would be the moral if not legal equivalent of a lie.  "Sam Harris" has an excellent book on lying that you can download off the net.   The gist of what lying technically is, and this is where we get the " what is is" from the Clinton years.....  is to intentionally mislead others when they expect honest communication.

In the book there is the story of finding a French grave marker in Nam.  The French Indochina war ended in 1946.   The "curved epitaph" on this marker was in English?  The actual epitaph is attributed to an "American writer" that died after the French war was over.   Then having been in the USAF and a Vietnam veteran, does anyone really believe that Forrest could actually get a chopper to take him into "Indian country"  just for an unauthorized look see just because he felt a bond with a waterfall in the jungle?  Again, a great story but not honest communication IMHO.

Then we have the fact that Forrest Fenn was "busted" by the FBI in 2009 for basically being who he really is first and foremost.  "A collector of indian artifacts."  A big time "sting" operation with informants, people wired and recording.  Some would call him a grave robber or at least a purchaser of illegally obtained goods, part of a "ring" of people that deal in these things.  Since it's a felony to even pick up an arrowhead on "our" property...aka, BLM, Forrest Service, Wilderness, National Park or any government land for that matter, it's fairly easy to violate the numerous laws that cover the subject.  If you pick it up and sell it to me they we both in big trouble!  News articles say he has not been charged but they came with a swat team of agents from the alphabet soup agencies, armed with a search warrant and took his stuff.  Investigation still ongoing as of this writing... & "three" suicides too boot.  I wish I was making this up but reality trumps fiction.  Funny how not a word of this is mentioned on the "Thrill of the Chase" sites.

I find it hard to understand the hypocrisy.  Less than 150 years ago the US government was still trying to tame the West and wipe the indians out and bury his culture, his remains and any evidence of his life in the ground.   Swept up in the trail of tears and off to the reservation to be subjected to the white mans broken treaties...    Killing them was not a crime but a just and manifest duty and now this same government says picking up an artifact is a felony?   Wow...we have come so far. 

Oh wait…. & then there is this….for those that like music after a long hard day of adventure and fun.   It has to be from one of Forrest's favorite albums... Kenny Rodgers-Eyes that See in the Dark

Please Register or Login

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DeWkUzycZw&noredirect=1

Please Register or Login

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ls_Za-iv4o

enjoy

Posted on: February 04, 2013, 12:21:05 PM
There is a picture in the book “Thrill of the Chase” as well as on the internet that shows the mystical bronze Forrest Fenn Treasure Chest. The lid is raised and the chest is “full” of gold coins, well at least one half to three fourths full of gold coins. There are also more nuggets and coins scattered around the base of the chest.

Then there is another picture that shows the same chest with the area around the base picked up and the nuggets and coins inside the chest filling it up even more.     Cheesy

Given that we have stated testimony that the chest is 10 x 10 x 5, if we assume the sidewalls and base are one half inch thick bronze, we have a 9 x 9 x 4 inch area. Therefore, if we calculate the gold volume to be 3/4 full and factor in a random stacking factor of (75%) for round coins which have .7854 the area of a square, plus lost space due to random positions, another ~(15%) we have a gold chest content that weighs:

9x9x3 / 1728 x 62.4 x 19.32 x (.75 +.15 ) = 101.7 pounds

This is ~5 times the weight of the claimed 20 troy pounds of gold.

20 Troy pounds of gold takes up a volume of 23.62 cubic inches.

The volume of a 9 x 9 x 3 rectangle gives us an area of 243 cubic inches.

Even if we were to triple the volume of the 20 troy pounds, to 72 cubic inches, to account for air space, stacking and .900 fine gold purity, it would not take up the first inch layer of the floor of the chest!

Even if every coin (256) were a double eagle and there were 10 of them in a stack, to make the stacks one inch high, there would only be 26 stacks of coins a little bigger than one inch in diameter, about one tenth the volume of the chest.

There is no way that these photo’s are an accurate depiction of the golden treasure claimed to be in the chest. This is not rumor….just statement of fact.

Then there is this....... straight from the Joseph Smith Book of Mormon story.   Forrest Fenn likes to stick with what works and has created a "treasure" religion of faithful followers.

Joseph Smith Receives the Gold Plates....... Shocked

At length the time arrived for obtaining the plates, the Urim and Thummim, and the breastplate. On the twenty-second day of September, one thousand eight hundred and twenty-seven, having gone as usual at the end of another year to the place where they were deposited, the same heavenly messenger delivered them up to me. Joseph Smith—History 1:59

Seventeen-year-old Joseph Smith went about his usual duties on the farm the morning after Moroni had visited him three times during the night. "But he was tired and weak."  Lips Sealed   His father, who was working with him, could see something was wrong with Joseph and told him to go home. (See Joseph Smith—History 1:47–48.)

So why is it that I must go

And leave my trove for all to seek?

The answers I already know,

I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.   Lips Sealed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg250140.html#msg250140

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

185168_406034926112853_1749305043_n.jpg
treasurechest2.jpg

Offline exconsonite
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 07:30:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Could the olive jar containing the manuscript or autobiography be under the treasure? Also not all the treasure is solid gold.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg251238.html#msg251238

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 09:21:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting post Plasmalupus thanks for posting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg251297.html#msg251297

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline AaronRam
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 11:49:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just got turned on to this whole Forrest Fenn thing.  I am of the mind that he is probably not making it up.  I am not sure that I am the sort that can figure something like this out but I always root for the under dog.  I hope someone here gets it.

That being said, what I know so far is that the poem is supposed to have 9 clues and a 10th (the treasure is over 5000 ft) was given on the Today show.  It has been said that the treasure is north of Santa Fe in the Rockies... perhaps as far north as Alaska.  I am not buying that it would be THAT far north.  My thoughts are that it is probably in NM.

I agree that it is not submerged.  The wax seal could be to keep out humidity and other intrusions.  He seemed to be planning for this treasure to go unfound for possibly 1000s of years.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg252885.html#msg252885

Offline Connecticut Lovejoy
Copper Member

Banned
Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Xterra
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 03:38:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Tongue  I do no believe the story, but who cares, I live in Connecticut.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg263134.html#msg263134

Offline rwidacki
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Estonia

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 04:02:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have good news but you must reply to MY e-mail. sorry, that's the way it has to work

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg273827.html#msg273827

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Up
Jump to: