[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline spanishgold1Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If Forrest was doing this to sell books, he would have the book at amazon, the internet and everywhere else in the world to purchase.  He is a 82 year old man with Cancer, who is giving one small bookstore in his town his support by giving them the exclusive business to sell the book and hopefully get people to purchase other books.  Proceeds are going to help find a cure for cancer, and not in Forrest pocket.  If he were younger, yes, what a great marketing ideal to sell books, but he isnt.

All he is getting out of this is the fame and the story that will be told.  As Forrest  has said,, if someone finds this in a hundred or a thousand years what a story it will be.  That alone will tell you that this is not easy task to find.

So I wouldn't say he is doing it for the money.  He is doing it to raise money for cancer, to help out a local town bookstore, for his own fame so that he will not be forgotten, and to give people the thrill of the chase in looking for treasure as he as his whole life. I have not left 2 million dollars hidden, but I have put modern coins in places that maybe in 200 years some kid will find it and have a thrill, and wonder who lost it, just like you have that feeling when you find a old coin.
 Forrest has money, and the last thing he needs as he is going to be dead soon is money.  He just wants to be remembered.  If you read his experience in the war when he come across the mass cemetery of French soldiers, he really presses the point,  here are brave men who no one knows their story and I found them and there is not story to tell.

Ok, I got the serious side out of me so let me put that aside now and lets find the treasure! Finally there is a real story and not fiction or facts that have been distorted down from generation to generation.  If there are any arm chair treasure hunters that live too far away to look for the treasure i would love to exchange thoughts..  Like I told one very nice man who I have chatted with.  If I find it, you can choose any coin you want out of the box..... but  you might want to buy a lottery ticket, because both are a long shot, but its fun to get other peoples opinion on the poem.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg214054.html#msg214054

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:01:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Spanishgold1 , I think its a genuine treasure hunt. The book isn't super cheep , but its also not super expensive Cool

Im happy to help with your quest. Just got a fair amount of things going on at the moment... and havn't got a copy of the book yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg214094.html#msg214094

Offline larbuckle
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 12:51:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

ok here are some links the first oneis a guy also looking for the treasure and blogs about his trips to new mexico and other places
the second one is forrest's website yes the treasure is very real and with out the book i dont think you will be able to find it.

its not about the treasure its all about the thrill of the chase but having a little gold in your pocket dosent hurt things lol

Please Register or Login

http://lummifilm.wordpress.com/

Please Register or Login

http://www.oldsantafetradingco.com/

Smiley

Posted on: February 23, 2012, 12:48:02 AM
oh and the book is only like 35 dollars from the store in santa fe plus shipping

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg214103.html#msg214103

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 12:38:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

I bought the book and all I can say is what a beautiful book, and paper he used.  He spared no expense.  Second when I read the book I was not thinking about the treasure, but thinking about my life.  He speaks his mind and writes like he is their telling you a story.  My good friend didnt like his style of writing but I did.  Im reading it again but this time with the intent of finding clues or ideals that he has given, but the first read was to learn about this guy and what a great simple life he had that turned out successful for him.

Be careful what you read on line, or what you see or read from news reports.  Forrest is very skilled in using words that put a meaning in your mind but means somethings else. For example, the news reporters talked about how he buried this treasure for someone to find.  Forrest never said he buried the treasure..  he said he hid it...later on he even corrected the reported in another interview and said I never said that I buried the treasure.. I said I hid it.   So that doesnt mean that its not buried, because he never denied it either,  he just said he hid it.  It also said hear me all and listen good.
So with your research hear him and listen good.

So like I said, anyone that is to far away, but want to help with their thoughts, it would be appreciated.  My 11 year old daughter overheard us talking about the poem and one passage we were thinking what is he trying to say, and she came up with a great clue......  out of the mouth of babes!!!   It may or may not pan out on this one clue but the point is that it was something that I didnt see or think about but she did, so I am looking into it.

Finding treasure or should I say in my case looking for treasure is fun but doing research and not watching t.v. at night is real enjoying.  I am learning so much about history and areas that I didnt even know about.   " the thrill of the chase"

Send me a line, I would love to hear from you guys far away.  For once there is a treasure in my back yard, and not back east where there is a lot of history and treasure to be found.  I live just to far away to go back east, but in my back yard, and I know the county really helps.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg214193.html#msg214193

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 05:32:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gday all, I go to thinking the treasure was somewhere up north, the part about the warm water turning cold ??   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg214259.html#msg214259

Offline wuzneme
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 08:40:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
LOL  He's going to make his money back and then some selling books if anyone ever finds it.

Please Register or Login

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margie-goldsmith/over-1-million-in-buried-_b_822894.html

Hi
i having not read the book either and only been looking at homefires link, i thought i might have a little play with the poem.

what if the poem is actually a short story. by mixing the 6 paragraphs you get a story, with some stuff only a local would know.

part 5 becomes part 1
part 1 becomes part 2
part 6 becomes part 3
part 2 becomes part 4
part 3 becomes part 5
part 4 becomes part 6

so why is it that i must go, as i have gone alone in there
and leave my trove for all to seek?
i can keep my secrets where the answers i already know
and hunt of riches and old
i`ve done it tired and now i`m weak
so hear me all and listen good.
begin it where warm waters halt
your effort will be worth the cold
and take it in the cayon down not far but to far to walk
if you are brave and in the wood, put in below the home of brown
i give you title to gold.
from there its no place for the meek
if you have been wise and found the blaze, the end is nigh
look quickly down, your quest to cease
there`ll be no paddle up your creek
but tarry scant with marvel gaze
just loads and water high
just take the chest and go in peace

looking at it this way it could suggest a canyon, but you can`t fully get down and need to find a trail (blaze) but need to be careful, enjoy the beauty, but don`t hang around as ther aint no way back if your in the water. suggesting it may be on a  ledge, out of sight from above and below.

just my tuppence worth. still gonna get the book though. sounds like a remarkable character, and to go hide it at his time in life (respect)

Posted on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:36 PM
having just written the above i went for a random search,

Please Register or Login

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2261145.shtml

nice to see the bear house, perhaps your ment to put in and say hi before you venture further, just incase you get lost? (health and safety an all that)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg214277.html#msg214277

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 01:40:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

wuzneme... a very interesting take on the poem.  Its always interesting how different people can see things.  This is why the fourm is is great.

Forrest said that in order to find the treasure you have to follow the poem in order.  He said that with in a interview.  BUT.... with that said...  in Forrest's book he writes.    My father always taught me.. "you should tell the truth but not all the truth"  That makes things interesting because it just add to the difficulty of his poems.  He also said that many works he uses are not in the dictionary, and when he does us a word, he stretches the meaning of the word.  Again difficult to figure out his poems.  He also said occasionally its wise for he fox to dress like the hound.

But I will study what you have written.  I cant take discard anything, and you had an interesting take.   

As I watch the news coverage and I have seen pictures of people in the river looking for the treasure.   I can tell you that its not in the river and its foolish to think so ( in my opinion).  If I can get some responses on why they think its in the river or why it isnt, I will tell you why its not in a river.

Once again thanks for your post.  Very interesting take.  So the question is  what Forrest said, that you must follow the clues in order to find the treasure,,, or was that part of his telling the truth but not all the truth.  We just don't know.    North of Santa Fe is a large area to cover.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg214292.html#msg214292

Offline wuzneme
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 05:08:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

hi spanishgold1,
it was just a quick thought , something to play about with,like the punctuation in places suggests it could make different sentences.

even the wording...like part 5 last line. "I`ve done it tired now I`m weak" does not sound/look right.

as for the start of a line with "And" do poems have the same rules as sentences. Like not starting a new sentence with And.

anyway, it would be nice to see how you get along with it.

good luck in your hunt

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg214296.html#msg214296

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 02:13:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i have some appointments with some professional poets here where I live.  I was going to talk to them about the same thing, that is.. the grammar in poems  I don't think that their are any grammar rules in poems.  I could be wrong, but many poems i read I don't understand.   have you tried to read the old testament in the bible.. WOW..  A different way to speak for sure, but there are many meanings with the way they speak.

When he said "Ive done it tired and now Im weak".... I took that as  I went and hid the treasure in some remote location.  Remember its a place where he has even said that maybe in a 100 or a 1000 years if someone finds it what a find and a story it would be.   As an old man of 79 or 80 he went and hiked into the mountains and did it and it must be a tiresome journey, and now that he has finished it he is weak.  So I thought that was a clue that it is a journey, but a journey you can do because if a 80 year old can do it then you can.

I can find the direct source but I am trying to locate it so it is hear say, so take it with a grain of salt.  I had read that he did the treasure in 2 journeys.  Now that makes sense... Think about a 80 year old guy carrying a 42 lb treasure, in addition to food and water.  It just wouldn't happen as far as my opinion.  But it did it as he said Ive done it tired and now Im weak.   
When I was in Peru I hiked for four days on the hardest hike and journey i had taken, and if i were a poet, i would of said it the way he did.. I done it tired, and now im weak, which was exactly the feeling after I completed the 4 day journey.

Im waiting for another response on why the treasure is not in water from other treasure hunters which everyone thinks is in the water before I give my opinion.  I wanted an Open discussion.   I was talking with a man from Iowa, that we send messages back and forth.   A nice man which one day I would love to find the treasure.  He had some good thoughts as well, which I rules out some of them, but that isn't the point.  As you talk together the synergy gets your brain working and sometimes in the middle of the night it just hits you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35117.msg214329.html#msg214329

Offline larbuckle
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold