[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Rick104Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

286.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI,Fisher Gold$trike and Coin$trike, Garrett GTI 2500,Minelab Eureka Gold, Pioneer 505
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:33:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

anyone ever used one of these coils for the 2500? And with any success, is it easy or difficult to use? any info would be much appreciated.
 Detecting Welcome Hello

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11138.msg71335.html#msg71335

Offline Carolina Au
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTI2500, Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:14:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have one.  Mixed results. In some spots the detector would just start making a flutering sound.  I attribute it to rust from old trash barrels that had been there years ago when we burned trash, but I could be wrong on the exact cause as gravel had been brought in for a parking lot.  A few yards away the problem disappears.  There is nothing there as it was land I know the history of.  That spot was excavated in undisturbed soil.  There were no signs of prior disturbance of the soil as it was the same consistency across the whole area.

But the same detector with another coil does not signal there.  But with even more coils it get the fluttering sound.  I have a 4.5 inch round, non-imaging scorcher coil, a 10 inch elliptical non-imaging scorcher coil, a 10 inch concentric imaging coil, and a 12 inch concentric imaging coil.  What it boils down to is the imaging coils cause the fluttering, and the non-imaging scorcher coils do not signal at the trash barrel site.  But none of the coils except the Treasure Hound coil will detect the steel plate at septic tank.  It will but only with a weak signal. 

The unit will barely detect a 1 foot square piece of perforated steel plate at a depth of about 3 ft.  I put the metal over the cleanout hole of a septic tank to aid in finding it for future cleanouts.  I do not know if a solid sheet of Iron (such as a old chest might be made of) would signal better.  I do not know how it would do on a jar or a can of coins.  I am not quite as pleased with it as I thought I would be, but I am beginning to suspect the detector itself is due for a tuneup.  The detector was a used one,  but the coil was supposed to be new.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11138.msg75865.html#msg75865

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:45:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Carolina Au, before you consider sending the detector in for a "tuneup", try resetting it to factory default setting first and see if that makes any difference.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11138.msg75874.html#msg75874

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Carolina Au
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:16:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried that numerous times.   It did seem to work better at the default setting but not like I hoped for. 

I also tried decreasing the sensitivity and I tried adjusting the ground balance up and down on the scale.   There are some other indications of problems I have encountered at various times with it too. 

The Treasurehound coil, from what I understand, is not supposed to be influenced by smaller targets, particularly at or very near the surface.  The system should not even detect such small things as rust flakes scattered around in an area.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11138.msg75876.html#msg75876

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 03:30:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry that didn't help. The only thing I can say with regard to your situation is that the rust particles from those trashcans may have sank into the soil over time and created a "halo" effect. Though they are small particles individually, if you get enough of them in close proximity, it can cause the machine to detect a false target.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11138.msg75879.html#msg75879

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Carolina Au
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 03:37:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

That may be the case, but it is disconcerting at best.  But I am still considering a tune-up.  There are problems that sound similar to a problem described in the Garret forum section where targets were identified and a depth indicated, but falsely.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11138.msg75881.html#msg75881

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

286.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI,Fisher Gold$trike and Coin$trike, Garrett GTI 2500,Minelab Eureka Gold, Pioneer 505
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 02:47:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome I just received my treasure hound GTI 2500 coil today and had no problems or fluttering with my unit, it is the 2500 that is causing your problems mine use to do the same thing except the voice would go bezerk and repeat the same word over and over again at the speed of sound, it was very unstable Garretts wonderful QA and QC, I had to send mine in 4 times but Garrett finally got the detector repaired correctly! thats what I would call bad troubleshooting, probably some ITT Tech goofball that barely knowes the difference between a zener diode and  a pico fuse, I am an Electronics Tech and have done alot of troubleshooting down to component level, got off my train of thought, it does sound like your unit is in need of a Garrett bench testing session, I noticed Garrett does not really  troubleshoot there detectors they just shotgun the parts, meaning they replace parts until it works properly, when I walked around with my treasue hound coil it was very stable with every step and all of my targets were solid hits no falseing Detecting I am really glad I bought mine, now if I could just find some meteorites with it Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11138.msg76186.html#msg76186

Offline Carolina Au
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 03:20:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

I also read somewhere where Garrett stopped making the earlier version with the voice depth/target ID/treasure talk due to some problems related to the voice id.  The units they make now aren't quite like the original ones.  That also leads me to suspect the detector itself.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11138.msg76192.html#msg76192

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

286.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:17:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Shocked I sent mine in to them for repair with the stipulation that they send my original unit back to me, there talking 2500 has been around for ten years, it is probably the software they use, I am not sure but they may be using an EPROM for the 2500 features, once mine was correctly repaired I have had no more problems with it...... Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11138.msg76288.html#msg76288

Offline howard44mag
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab sovereign gt, garrett gti2500,whites classic id,bounty hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 06:45:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi rick ,just received mine yesterday. have not been able to try it out cause the last three times i have had a day off it has stormed. will try it on monday if it is nice. will let you know how it works. howard

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11138.msg79534.html#msg79534

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Work in progress 001.jpg
Work in progress 002.jpg
Work in progress 003.jpg
Work in progress.jpg

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up