[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Goldminer
Copper Member

I love THunting
Thank you5

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

746.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 01:56:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This might be of some interest. Back in the late sixties, a few members of my salvage company heard of a possible treasure buried in the upper Keys area of south Florida. They found the area, and searching with a two-box detector, located an anomaly in a swampy area adjacent to a beach. After digging down a couple of feet, a box was located in watery sand. The box was too heavy to dig out of the hole, so lifting equipment was sent for. While the wait continued, the box began to sink into the sand. The diggers began to frantically throw sand and water out of the hole to keep up with the sinking box. The more sand and water removed, the deeper the box went. When the lifting equipment did finally arrive, the box was too deep to touch with probes. The area was also too swampy to bring in heavy machinery, and as far as I know, that box might be in China today.
Bill

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1332.msg12374.html#msg12374

Him thief him friend of him last Guinea
  Him kill both priest and friar, oh dear.
    Him cut de t'roat of piccaninny
      Bloody, bloody buccaneer!

Offline crowsnest1
Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 02:58:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Goldminer,
Thanks for the story, the location sounds good, for possible Treasure, also the initial depth it was buried.
Sounds like the water table increased overtime, and as soon as they started to excavate, the status quo was disturbed and the Quick-sand effect set in.
I know its' after the fact but, in construction, a coffer dam of sectional concrete manhole rings around the hole would have enabled the team to pump out or keep pace with the water.........................like you say, probably a lucky Chinaman somewhere!

Best wishes kevin.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1332.msg12382.html#msg12382

Offline Goldfinger
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug 2
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 07:31:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Goldminer
This might be of some interest. Back in the late sixties, a few members of my salvage company heard of a possible treasure buried in the upper Keys area of south Florida. They found the area, and searching with a two-box detector, located an anomaly in a swampy area adjacent to a beach. After digging down a couple of feet, a box was located in watery sand. The box was too heavy to dig out of the hole, so lifting equipment was sent for. While the wait continued, the box began to sink into the sand. The diggers began to frantically throw sand and water out of the hole to keep up with the sinking box. The more sand and water removed, the deeper the box went. When the lifting equipment did finally arrive, the box was too deep to touch with probes. The area was also too swampy to bring in heavy machinery, and as far as I know, that box might be in China today.
Bill

The same thing happened in Missouri in the late 50's. An attempt was made to recover a supposed "knights of the golden circle" cache from a site near a river. They brought in all kinds of heavy equipment but the sides kept caving in and they couldn't pump the water out fast enough. It was in sandy soil - typical for  the area. They had to give up after countless attempts

Steve.

Steve

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1332.msg12432.html#msg12432

Offline CDMakaKvM
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett MH-5 ADS & White's 5900Di Pro/SL
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 05:36:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A heavy cache of gold for instance might settle a few inches near a river bank.  The same cache buried in the high desert won't settle any.  In soft sandy soil it will settle a little more every time it rains hard or for a long period.  That same cache in red clay soil such is in many states would not settle much at all.  If the hider buried the cache in soft soil, but placed a large flat rock below the cache, then it wouldn't settle that much or if the cache was buried in rocky soil, it wouldn't settle much.  So you see, there are too many variables to consider when searching for any cache.   I won't go into how much overburden is covering the bedrock.  That's just another factor to consider.  How far a cache will settle sounds like a simple question with a simple answer, but actually it is not.  I guess that's what makes cache hunting such a long shot.   But that also seperates the haves from the have-nots.   Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1332.msg12578.html#msg12578

Offline grumpy968
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 01:00:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would have to agree that how far it will settle, depends on the soil it is buried in.

This holds true for coins as well, the older the coin the deeper it may be.

Earl

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1332.msg22527.html#msg22527

Offline mudpike
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 07:04:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I wonder if this holds true here up north where you have the freeze & thaw cycle.
In some areas the 'frost line' might be close to 3 feet. An old timer told me that
anything in the ground will constantly be moving up & down after each freeze &
the thaw in the spring. I can't guarantee it, but I have found some fairly newer
coins inches deeper than some older ones. What do you think?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1332.msg22554.html#msg22554

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

Offline oRo
Silver Member

Gold is where it's left behind.
Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

1190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Infinium VibraProbe
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 04:29:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gravity, anything heavy will settle until something firm is reached. With the ground breaking down because of the freeze thaw cycle it makes it easier for heavy objects to settle some more. Here in the mountains every time it thunders it goes down anther inch. If old items are above new items than the ground has been disturbed, plowing, digging by man/animals, water flow or the old items were lost after the new ones. If your old timer was right then there would be no geological record of historical layers, just a random mixture of everything going up and down before it eventually covered over by yet more debris. I have found things that have popped out of the ground though after a freeze, so this would confirm the lifting at the surface anyway. I like the old timers theory though, because if you wait a few years even sites that are heavily detected out will have more coins after they are lifted up by the freeze.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1332.msg22573.html#msg22573

Offline d.p.swing
Copper Member

just do it!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett2500
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 03:19:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

here in  vt i find that to be true also  we go back each year to find more coins that come up with plowing and the frost = dp swing

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1332.msg27058.html#msg27058

Offline bob1953
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ads7,gtax550
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 06:41:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Rider  small cache s  and coins do sink, but the soil does have a n impact.  Here in southeastern Ohio we have a dirt/clay soil , so things  dont settle as much.. coins 100+ years old usually are 6" or less.   small caches , 1gallon or less, are usually 24" or less.  i would imagine sandy areas , fl,ga and so on do settle much more. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1332.msg32241.html#msg32241

Offline mudpike
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 05:25:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I believe that the freeze & thaw cycle here in the north does constantly cause some soil upheaval, and because of that
not everything just works itself deeper & deeper. Possibly anything intentionally buried below that 3 foot frost level might
work itself deeper, lost objects might just stay within that freeze & thaw zone of soil.  My humble opinion.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,1332.msg32627.html#msg32627

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: