[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Smokin_CacheTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 07:17:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

td I am in the Houston area now, but make frequent trip back home to see the parents. I know (should say dad knows) a few people who live scattered out along 16 on the way from Searcy to Heber Springs. Next time I am home I am going to see if any are close to this location and if they have ever heard anything. I am pretty sure one of them who now lives in his dads house lives just a mile or so from the 305/16 intersection. I have been to his house a few times.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg81332.html#msg81332

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 02:55:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

one thing i have found very useful in research, and im not sure how much of the info would be online for White County Arkansas, but try doing a deed search for Mr Boggs...
in some other stuff i am researching in Texas, I have been able to pull document numbers for recorded deeds from the mid 1800's

this would, at the very least, prove if a j. boggs owned property there,  and at best, you could locate the actual homestead.

if not online, you can probably get the records at a local courthouse, but again, most of this will depend on the county, and what they have on record.

best of luck, keep us posted, sounds like a great one to search out!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg92966.html#msg92966

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 08:09:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the tips!! With the way work is going I will be luck to make it back home before Christmas!! I picked up this hobby (habbit) this year because they were supposed to be limiting overtime very strickly this year. But so far it ain't lookin good for the rest of the year. If there was something there as publicized as this is I have my doughts on if would still be there, but if it is I dought it is going any where any time soon.
Well I am in Arkansas on other business, but I am going to try to get some pictures of where I set the waypoint today. I will post what I get.
I am here in Arkansas on other business, but I am going to try to take some pics of where I have pinpointed the Boggs' place to be. I only have a very limited amount of time and it's Sunday so I won't be visiting the courthouse this trip. I will post what ever I find. Wish me luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg110219.html#msg110219

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 11:06:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

very cool, always nice to set foot on a potential site! congrats on that part, and good luck to you!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg110602.html#msg110602

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 08:18:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

It will have to be a trip to the court house to find the old home site. I have a pretty good idea from looking at aerial photography (It comes in handy to know the guy who photographed the entire state all my life or at least until I graduated from high school) from the '70s up where there was a cedar patch with an old structure near, but there have been a least two new homes built in the area since the story was written. I had about ten minutes to drive the road. I did not stop to take any pictures and there were really very few cedars in the area now. Nothing really to take pics of except the progress that has went on since the article was written. I will be going back in November and I am going to try to plan some extra time into the trip to do a little research.
So I have been search old land records. I have a better idea of where the old house was. I am pretty sure there is a new house sitting where it once was. From the old photos I have found at this time I don't believe the old garden to be covered up. I guess I will be knocking on their door before to long to see about permission to hunt.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg113396.html#msg113396

Offline davidmthomas
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 05:43:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Is the John Boggs lind your are looking for part of the land that holds the Boggs graves where the family is

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg186207.html#msg186207

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 05:53:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am not sure where the family cemetery is. I have drawn the original plat on an aerial photo. I thought I posted it on here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg186544.html#msg186544

Offline mikethomas55
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 03:52:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been hunting the Boggs place for the last two years on and off with an etrac. I have hunted all around where the old cabin was, the old well was, and the barn was. I haven't found anything but trash. There is so much that has been deposited over the years the trash is hard to get past.
The old road ran in frount of the house and  and on the other side of that is a small field but even with the etrac you get hats every step nearly. Behind where the house was is a  large field that was used to plant cotton in years past and is no a hay field. I haven't found anything in it but iron, tin, etc.  I can't figure out where the garden might have been. Would it have been in the frount of the house or behind it. Close to the well and barn or not.  A storm blow over most all the ceader trees.  The pushed them all up and burned them years ago.  The owner of the land said after the burned them they found a silver dollar in the ashes but nothing else. I want to go back and look again I don't know where to start. Shocked

Posted on: April 08, 2014, 03:47:37 pm
I found the family cemetary. It is grown up badly but you can still read the head stones. It is in a patch of woods.  The family cemetary and the boggs home place are some miles apart.  Back then as the crow flys it might be  2 or 3 miles.  Now the gas companys have wells by it and you have to drive  probely 8 miles to get from the old home place to the grave site. Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg274642.html#msg274642

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 07:27:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well Mike this is what I would do. Figure out where the front and back porch were then get a lawn chair and set look around for awhile. Folks then and now like to relax and look at their work. Look for plants that are not native to your area. I once found a old home site that several others had spent years looking for by finding some iris's blooming out in the middle of nowhere one spring.

Grid out the area in 100 or 1000 ft squares then hunt and re hunt each area till all the metal is gone, after the first round you should start finding better stuff but you have to clean out junk first   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg274650.html#msg274650

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

970.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 01:48:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Glad to see someone is still looking for this. I haven't researched it in a long while. Mike I drive by it every time I am home hoping to do as Seldom says and look for odd place plants growing.

Seldom I is great to see you still on here helping everyone out!

I just sold my E-trac last week. Fixing to buy an XP Deus I do believe. I travel every week now and it should be much easier to get in the suitcase.

Mike I would love to meet you up there sometime and do some hunting or just exploring and discussing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg276673.html#msg276673

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: