[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline whitt459
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter   and tesoro
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 02:20:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello  i think i would try a drill hole to find out how deep too dig

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17833.msg114989.html#msg114989

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 03:28:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You're being given some good advice here. A two box unit will pick up the top layer. You can't punch through to the lower layers until after you clear off the top stuff. Thus, excavation is the only option. Good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17833.msg115174.html#msg115174

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 03:57:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Guys

Paul if I were you I'd dig that old bike up probably will start up too with a little bit TLC and gas.

Hotstone best way is a front end loader get rid of the dump then a detector you can always replace the dump if you want to but I think the main thing is are you sure that the cash is there or is this an assumption? be pretty stupid removing a dump to find nothing there.

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17833.msg115181.html#msg115181

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline HotstoneTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Norway

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 05:47:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That would be stupid yes.

I've been reading around and thinking a bit. I wonder if not a magnetometer would pick up the anomalies that's created. Say maybe 8-10 guns bundled together would disturb the magnetic field much more than the rest of the iron trash randomly littered there.

I have the possibility to hire a Schonfeld magn. if I drive some hours to Oslo, but it seems a little sensitive, would beep consatntly on the magnetic trash, I guess. So this makes me believe that some datalogging and imaging software would be necessary, scan the area and dig the largest anomalies of magnetic field.

See there are plans for building such things here that are probably better for the purpose than the one I can hire. But I think I would persinally really overachieve if I managed to put together one of these kits and make it work.  Maybe I could hire someone  on this board to do it ?

So would a magnetometer be a possible way to go, so I dont have to move truckloads of stone and maybe find nothing ? Idea

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17833.msg116959.html#msg116959

Offline Orcaman
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher 1236 X2
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 11:51:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Hotstone. I think it all comes down to the maths and figures. How much money and time are you prepared to invest without the wife kicking you out the house?! It would be great if you can take and post some pictures so we can all get a better understanding of the site.

Apart from using some TNT that may upset the neighbours why don't you try your local heritage office/historical society to join the party? In that way you'd have more access to archives and they may-should help with financing the operation. I would start finding out the cost to hire a small Bobcat-front end loader for the day and they can help with the rental. 'Eat' away from the sides and down I would think. Keeping in mind that if there are old weapons there that you would need to declare these to the authorities, I would think.

On another angle contact a small documentary film company...'Military detectives' could be a good ringer? Get funding and then sell to Nat Geo or Discovery Channel. They would do their own research and have MASSIVE budgets. Get back to me if you need some assistance with this.

Now go get some pics for us! Rider

Cheers and HH

Orcaman Victory

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17833.msg117000.html#msg117000

You only live once, make the most of it!

Offline HotstoneTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Norway

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 06:37:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Neeh, I used to hide behind a tree when the principal filmed in the school yard ages ago, so I am not much for a film crew. Hardly I think anyone would be interested in finding a handul of rusty guns, value +/- 1000$ either. Be lucky if the local newspaper showed any interest.
I'm pursuing this more of curiosity, affection value,  a challenge in the spare time.

I have not or will not spend a lot of money (don't have) or time on this. Just found this forum and then this came to my mind again, see if I could find any insights.

Now there's a pic attached, I have photoshopped out the farm implements, horizon and houses. but it is in or around there, if it is still there. Could be under the bushland too.
 Probably only a tracked excavator would do there or good old manual labour.

Those locally acknlowgded history buffs around here care for nuthing but 17th century porridge recipes and stuff like that. Anyway on caches like this there is nothing filed, but the word of mouth. Of course we tell the police Police what we find, but most of this would most likely pass as antiques (blackpowder), free for anyone to posess. It's not so very strict here as in Uk iex, especially not on long guns.

Now, I don't think I would be allowed to remove this filling just to see if there is anything in or beneath it. Maybe someday if the stone were needed for construction, but all in all, this village has a serious surplus of rocks.  It would be better for me if I could make it probable by some measurements and data that there is a spot with something down there worth digging up, narrowing the area. Now some have been a bit disappointed that my detectors couldnt see trough this pile and thereby rendered it useless for the money, but that's a bit harsh I guess.

But I am a bit curious on this magneto/gradiometer device. See these english spake sensors and kits. See there is an output on this sensor. Could not some instrument be attached to this ? Don't know if I can build these kits. But could I not dutctape this sensor to a piece of wood, power it by a battery, and attach some measuring device to the Output ? I was no good with soldering on these cards and stuff when in high school Idiot, sp I must keep it damn simple or outsource it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17833.msg117155.html#msg117155

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

cacherois.jpg

Offline Orcaman
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher 1236 X2
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 12:25:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi again..well it certainly looks quite steep on the slope. I don't know much on the attachments for the gradiometers but maybe, if you say you can get one then it may be the route to go. We all like to tinker so it may be worth looking at making one if you enjoy that sort of challenge, you could always ask for a little help when it comes to the finer points of soldering. Check Youtube for this maybe.

As for the porridge recipes, erm...you can keep that thanks:)

Cheers and HH

Orcaman Victory

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17833.msg117176.html#msg117176

You only live once, make the most of it!

Offline pro2ajay
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 04:41:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I heard of a couple cases of civil war rifles that were dumped into the swanee river to avoid capture by union forces

Posted on: November 05, 2010, 05:40:50 PM
as well as some kegs of "payroll"

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17833.msg124450.html#msg124450

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 04:47:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

pro2ajay, every conflict has those stories----almost always involving the losing side (or at least the side that was beating a hasty retreat from a battle in that particular area).  The challenge is finding out which of them are true and which aren't....but that's where research, especially into original resources (or at least as close as you can get), comes in and separates legends into flights of fancy or true facts or a combination of both.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17833.msg124451.html#msg124451

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: