[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline AlexTheKidTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I do not own one yet
« on: December 02, 2010, 03:09:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I live in Lowestoft in england in a county called suffolk its not a massive place but im wondering does anyone know of anyplaces that have storie of a possible cache or something close?
It is an old fishing town which had some involvment with the war if you dont know of any places praps you could tell me how i would find out Cheesy thank you
i will inclued a map of lowestoft.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19708.msg129487.html#msg129487

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

images_lowmap1.jpg

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 03:31:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello, Alex.

First, welcome to THunting.com.    Could you do yourself and everyone else a favor by going to our New Users Introduction board and posting a short introduction (doesn't have to be very personal.....just enough to say hello and to give the people a wee bit of your background)?   People are a bit more willing to respond if they know a bit about the person they're talking to, or at least know the person is willing to follow the community standards.

Second, the very best way to get on the trail of likely caches is to dive deep into the history of your area and especially of it's eccentrics.   I'd suggest spending as much time as you can reading the old accounts of your town or accounts written by your local history group.  Also make a habit of reading OLD newspapers (local if possible, but the London Times will do if you can't find any old newspapers published in your area).....you want to look for accounts of serial robberies in the area and of people who either came into or lost a lot of money rather quickly (either is often a sign of possible cacheing). 
       Use the search function at the top right corner of the page and you'll pick up some more tips while you wait for more responses.

BA in Arizona

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19708.msg129488.html#msg129488

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I do not own one yet
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 03:34:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello
i will do that straight after replying to this
and thank you for your reply i will have a nose about some of the history Cheesy thank you

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19708.msg129489.html#msg129489

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 03:40:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Welcome from Texas.

Sutton Hoo near Woodbridge, Suffolk, England, is the site of two Anglo-Saxon cemeteries of the 6th century and early 7th century. One contained an undisturbed ship burial including a wealth of Anglo-Saxon artifacts of outstanding art-historical and archaeological significance, which are now held in the British Museum in London. Other sites before then had already produced significant finds, but many had been looted.

Sutton Hoo is of a primary importance to early medieval historians because it sheds light on a period of English history which is on the margin between myth, legend and historical documentation. Use of the site culminated at a time when Reinwald, the ruler of East Anglia, held senior power among the English people, and played a dynamic if ambiguous part in the establishment of Christian rulership in England; it is generally thought most likely that he is the person buried in the ship. The site has been vital in understanding the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of East Anglia and the whole early Anglo-Saxon period.

The ship-burial, probably dating from the early 7th century and excavated in 1939, is one of the most magnificent archaeological finds in England for its size and completeness, far-reaching connections, the quality and beauty of its contents, and for the profound interest of the burial ritual itself. The initial excavation was privately sponsored by the landowner, but when the significance of the find became apparent, national experts took over. Subsequent archaeological campaigns, particularly in the late 1960s and late 1980s, have explored the wider site and many other individual burials. The most significant artifacts from the ship-burial, displayed in the British Museum, are those found in the burial chamber, including a suite of metalwork dress fittings in gold and gems, a ceremonial helmet, shield and sword, a lyre, and many pieces of silver plate from the Eastern Roman Empire. The ship-burial has from the time of its discovery prompted comparisons with the world described in the heroic Old English poem Beowulf, which is set in southern Sweden. It is in that region, especially at Vendel, that close archaeological parallels to the ship-burial are found, both in its general form and in details of the military equipment that the burial contains.

Although it is the ship-burial which commands the greatest attention from tourists, there is also rich historical meaning in the two separate cemeteries, their position in relation to the Deben estuary and the North Sea, and their relation to other sites in the immediate neighborhood. Of the two grave fields found at Sutton Hoo, one (the "Sutton Hoo cemetery") had long been known to exist because it consists of a group of around 20 earthen burial mounds which rise slightly above the horizon of the hill-spur when viewed from the opposite bank. The other, called here the "new" burial ground, is situated on a second hill-spur close to the present Exhibition Hall, about 500 m upstream of the first, and was discovered and partially explored in 2000 during preparations for the construction of the hall. This also had burials under mounds, but was not known because they had long since been flattened by agricultural activity. The site has a visitor's center, with many original and replica artifacts and a reconstruction of the ship burial chamber, and the burial field can be toured in the summer months.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19708.msg129492.html#msg129492

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I do not own one yet
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 03:56:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

thank you for the interresting info i will also research some stuff about that area to  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19708.msg129586.html#msg129586

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 05:19:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello AlexTheKid

There might not be hidden Hoards of treasures in your area, not at least newspaper records of it. However It may be of interest for you to save a read the following newspaper story dated from 1910.

It tells of Lowestoft suffering from coastal erosion and mention whole parishes have fallen into the sea. It might be worth while searching along the coast at low tide on the beaches for relics on theses former towns washed away by the sea.

Who know you might even find a treasure or two?

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19708.msg129590.html#msg129590

the west Australian tues 13 sept 1910.jpg

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I do not own one yet
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 07:20:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

im sure going to give this a read!!
Thank you

Posted on: December 03, 2010, 06:55:49 AM
Ive Also found out that lowestoft has had Viking influence and the battle of lowestoft took palce there on 13th of june 1665.
A fleet of more than a hundred ships of the United Provinces commanded by Lieutenant-Admiral Jacob van Wassenaer Obdam attacked an English fleet of equal size commanded by James Stuart, Duke of York forty miles east of the port of Lowestoft in Suffolk, England. The Dutch were desperate to prevent a second English blockade of their ports after the first was broken off by the English only for lack of supplies. The leading Dutch politician, Johan de Witt, ordered Van Wassenaer to attack the English aggressively during a period of stable eastern winds which would have given the Dutch the weather gage. Van Wassenaer however, perhaps feeling that his fleet was still too inferior in training and fire power to really challenge the English in full battle, postponed the fight till the wind turned in order to seek a minor confrontation in a defensive leeward position from which he could disengage quickly and return without openly disobeying orders. His attitude would cost him a sixth of his fleet and his life.

On 11 June Van Wassenaer sighted the British fleet of 109 ships carrying 4,542 guns and 22,055 men; it consisted of three squadrons. James himself commanded the van, the squadron of the red flag; Prince Rupert of the Rhine commanded the centre, the squadron of the white flag and Edward Montagu, 1st Earl of Sandwich commanded the rearguard, the squadron of the blue flag. The Dutch fleet of 103 ships carrying 4,869 guns and 21,613 men had no less than seven squadrons: the first (from the Admiralty of Amsterdam) commanded by Van Wassenaer himself in Eendracht; the second commanded by Lieutenant-Admiral Johan Evertsen on Hof van Zeeland; the third (from the Admiralty of de Maze) commanded by Lieutenant-Admiral Egbert Bartholomeusz Kortenaer on Groot Hollandia; the fourth (the Frisian fleet) commanded by Lieutenant-Admiral Auke Stellingwerf on Sevenwolden; the fifth (from the Admiralty of the Northern Quarter) commanded by Vice-Admiral Cornelis Tromp on Liefde; the sixth (the Zealandic fleet) commanded by Vice-Admiral Cornelis Evertsen the Elder on Vlissingen and the seventh commanded by Vice-Admiral Volckert Schram on Wapen van Nassau. The reason for the large number of squadrons was that the smaller Dutch admiralties ? and the many new flag officers recently appointed by them ? insisted on having their own squadron; the Admiralties of Amsterdam and the Maas (i.e. Rotterdam) then split their fleets to make squadrons of equal size to those of the smaller fleets.

Both national fleets could only be so large by employing armed merchants: the English used 24 of these; the Dutch twelve, some of them enormous Dutch East India Company warships, specially brought over from the Indies. The Dutch also had activated eighteen laid up warships from the previous war.

thats just some of it ill add the link and a portrait so anyone who knows about ships can see them and maybe say what they might of been carrying.
(i do know that it is in the wrong topic but its just some infomation i have found out)

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lowestoft

Also i will put a link of my grandfather who died in the WWI

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crisp

His Son might of buryed something and it would be interresting if anyone knows of anything like that
thank you
(sorry if ive gone off on a big ramble haha)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19708.msg129606.html#msg129606

800px-The_Battle_of_Lowestoft,_3_June_1665_-_Engagement_between_the_English_and_Dutch_Fleets_by_Adriaen_Van_Diest.jpg

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:41:25 am by AlexTheKid »
Offline LeRoy Silver
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1431.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 09:34:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Kid looks like you have your ducks all in a row. Im sure that we all have had visions of treasure when we were young. To see you show this interest gets me fired up. As a kid you may have an advantage by being young and people might say go ahead and hunt lad. Keep up the attitude and save you money to buy your equiptment. Good Luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19708.msg129620.html#msg129620

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I do not own one yet
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 09:56:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Man  Grin i hope i can afford the equipment in the future but ill just have to stick to pot luck and backgardens for a while till i can string something together thank you for looking at the posts

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19708.msg129627.html#msg129627

Offline LeRoy Silver
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1431.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 10:24:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

My Pleasure to read your posts. Keep your head up and good things will happen to you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19708.msg129640.html#msg129640

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: