[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bhunterTopic starter
Copper Member

8018593332@vzwpix
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Landstar Bounty Hunter, Fisher Gemini lll 2-box, Colt .44
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:59:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

We should not pass up the opportunity to look for the Royal mines of the spanish.  The nice thing about the royal mines is that the spanish left the entire road map etched in the mountains themselves.  There are hundreds of them.  On a recent trip to visit the relatives in Oregon I counted 6 of them from Winnemucca north to Lakeview Oregon.  Hwy 140 
   Just have to look for a U shape on a mountain.  These were meant to be seen about 10 miles away.  As you get closer to the range marker you will see 75% of the time, 3 points on a rock or ridge.  An excellent book on this is Monument markers by Charles Kenworthy.  The info around the "U" will tell you which way to find the trail.  Although they made 2 paper maps, one to Mexico City and the other to Spain, the carvings on and new shapes created in the rocks would lead you to the mine.  Around early 1700 a massive set of earthquakes shook north america and caved in many of the mines causing the King of Spain to make a new rule.  Every royal mine was to have a parallel mine about 15 feet away as a rescue mine.  I like to call them the dummy mines.  When the spanish left the area in the fall they would carry all they could and store or cache the rest near the entrance of the mine and seal the entrance.  The dummy mine was left open, because there wasn't anything in it.  Someone stumbling onto the dummy mine could enter it and see that it was all played out, not realizing how close they were to a wealthy cache.  In 1810, all the Spanish were called back to fight in the spanish/mexican war.  All gold, silver etc. were cached in the entrance and sealed, many believing they would return after the war.  The war lasted 15 years or so and only the mexicans returned who had any knowledge of the mines.  I've found a two box metal detector is an excellent tool as its relatively inexpensive and can penetrate 20 feet into the ground.  All you have to do is find the dummy mine, and then detect around it for the real McCoy.
     With the economy of today lets not waste anytime thinking about it -- let the Hunting begin.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8506.msg53158.html#msg53158

Offline bhunterTopic starter
Copper Member

8018593332@vzwpix
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Landstar Bounty Hunter, Fisher Gemini lll 2-box, Colt .44
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:24:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the spanish usually cached their tools near the mine also.   I've been known to leave some shovels hidden near my work area so I'm not dragging them back and forth, the spanish were no different, although one tool they used for a lever was a steel rod 10-14 feet long and could lift a 2 ton boulder.  That one stayed no matter what.  Also, I've read many miss leading replies to those who find a triangle of spanish marks.  Another rule was no big X on top  of the cache so they would create a triangle of markings and you go to the center of the 3 marks and start digging.  Don't measure the length of each of the sides, add em and go trasping off into oblivian on the longest side.  Its much simpler than that.  There are traps they set also, like don't pull out a small rock thats holding a BIG one from falling on you.  Be sure to take some time to study the area, let your inner gut tell you the conditions.
     And Good Luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8506.msg53161.html#msg53161

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:19:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting post - esp about that steel rod. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the read. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8506.msg53191.html#msg53191

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: