[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline texpertTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 02, 2009, 03:27:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

does anyone know where 26 miles north of the southern tip falls

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7652.msg47624.html#msg47624

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:13:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

For those who do not know the story here is some info,, first i have heard of this story myself intresting ,,

In 1847, John Singer was in Port Isabel. He was on another of his adventures, traveling the waters of the Gulf of Mexico ? this time his wife, four sons, and a hired hand were along for the ride. This would turn out to be a trip that would be remembered forever by the Singer family. Not long after they left the harbor at Port Isabel, sailing a three-masted schooner known as the Alice Sadell, the family started to encounter some bad weather. Although not an experienced seaman, Singer had traveled the region before and he was of the opinion that the storm would soon blow over. But as the winds got stronger and the waves begin to crash over the vessel, he decided that he must somehow make it to shore. The squall helped him with that decision, and the huge waves promptly lifted the boat and smashed it onto a deserted island.

The family spent the night in the ship?s cabin and the storm had ceased by sunrise. Singer, along with his hired hand, explored the narrow island where fate had cast them. And after some discussion they came to the correct conclusion that they were on Padre Island ? a narrow strip of land which extends some 100 miles, along the coast, from the Mexican border to Corpus Christi.

Singer and his group were not the only ones who had wrecked at this place. It seems that over the years dozens of Spanish vessels, while transporting gold and silver from the rich mines in Mexico, had found themselves in the middle of violent storms which blew the crippled ships onto Padre Island. Many of the ships sank offshore and the tide would wash the wreckage onto the sandy beach. Many stories were told of pirates burying vast amounts of gold, silver, and other ill-gotten gains under the sands of Padre.

The Singer family had no idea that there might be a fortune buried under their newfound residence. Fact is, they soon fell in love with Padre Island and decided to make it their home. And when a rescue vessel finally came for them, they refused to leave and instead went to work to build a life in this tropical paradise.

They used the wood from the shipwreck to fashion a frame house and crude furniture. Mrs. Singer planted seeds and raised a garden. John made a small boat to travel back and forth to the mainland. He purchased cattle and had them delivered to the island. They fished and harvested other food from the sea. You might say life was going great for the Singers ? but that was all to change when the children came across some Spanish coins during one of their beachcombing endeavors.

John and his family went on to find more gold coins and eventually they came across a wooden chest containing about $80,000 in jewelry and coins. According to legend, the Singers continued to find pirate?s treasure and John became highly successful in the cattle business. Singer decided to keep the bulk of his loot in a large sand dune which he named ?money hill? ? the story goes that he would go to his secret dune and retrieve money when he needed it. Other accounts say that he also buried another cache between two small oak trees.

With the start of the Civil War, John Singer?s fate changed again ? and when Yankee gunboats appeared off the coast of Padre Island, he decided to move his family to the mainland where they remained until the war ended, four years later.

When Singer returned to the island, he found his house had been torn down by the Union sailors and used for firewood. He also discovered that the place had been hit by a hurricane and when he searched for his ?money hill,? it was nowhere to be found ? the storm had changed the entire landscape of the isle, as well as completely destroying the two small oaks that he used for landmarks.

The story of the John Singer?s treasure ended in 1877, when he passed away. It is said that he died a pauper with no funds whatsoever ? a far cry from the riches he had enjoyed while living in his Padre Island paradise ? and today?s treasure hunters are still searching for his lost gold.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7652.msg47631.html#msg47631

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 04:51:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Texpert and Outback;
If I remember correctly 11 Spanish galleons went down there in the same hurricane. Out of the 11 , correct me if I am wrong, only 4 have been found. Singer story is interesting too.
FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7652.msg47638.html#msg47638

Offline Muttpuppy
Copper Member

I clean up well, when I clean up
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher f2
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 11:14:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

What a fun story! Good luck to whomever finds it (or who already has perhaps?)!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7652.msg48323.html#msg48323

Offline kendavid
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 03:22:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here's a link for a little more detail if anyone is interested. The link also has a map of the island.

Please Register or Login

Singer Treasure

Go man go! Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7652.msg48496.html#msg48496

KD

Offline maturemike
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

485.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro DeLeon Whites MXT with a Sunray prob
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 07:01:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You gotta love a good treasure story like this.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7652.msg49894.html#msg49894

saving the past, today for tomorrow

Offline saoirse
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Spectrum XLT
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 07:05:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

South Padre Island is only 34 miles long. The southern part (about 5 miles) is developed real estate, hotels, shops, etc - after that is undeveloped for the most part. You might just want to take the causeway over from Port Isabel and drive south on State Park Road 100 to Channel View Rd and take it to the southern tip of the island (only a mile or two). Then set your odometer to zero, turn around and drive north for 26 miles - then you are there. It's not as if there is a street and number to say it's at this address, as it is mostly beach and not developed. If you have a GPS system, you might be able to use that to calculate about where it is. I can't remember but there may be actual mile markers on the road, which would make it much easier for you. I know there are some mile markers at the National Seashore and North Padre Island, but I can't be sure about South Padre Island.  Sorry, it's been many years since I was there.

One other suggestion, although I have no idea of your research, you might consider finding a map from the mid 1800's of Padre Island and compare it with a current map to see how much the island has changed. There have been several very horrific hurricanes between then and now, which have made some very significant changes to the island - as the Singers found out after just one. Check the weather & tides before you start out, watch the people on the beach (they can't hear you driving up because of the ocean roar). Oh, yeah, you can drive and park on the beach once you get past the developed part.

While you are down there, if you decide to visit to the National Seashore -1) leave your metal detector in your hotel or the Rangers may seize it, as metal detecting equipment is not allowed in any National Park - even in your trunk! 2) Watch your speed! The limit is much lower than you'd think like 45 MPH or something strange. The only speeding ticket I ever got - a Federal speeding ticket!  How bad is that?

Good luck with your quest.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7652.msg55524.html#msg55524

Offline ackjosy
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

still looking
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 04:16:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You can also use the free Google earth,it has a  tool for measuring feet/yards/and miles. also you can zoom in and research the area before you go. hope this helps ,,Joe from Montgomery Texas 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7652.msg135567.html#msg135567

Offline LeRoy Silver
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1431.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

One good story there. Makes me want to go look

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7652.msg135571.html#msg135571

Offline ackjosy
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

still looking
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 04:43:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

yes me to,  but I still have not bought my first detector yet, a small budget of $ 300.00

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7652.msg135576.html#msg135576

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: