[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 30, 2011, 06:18:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Treasure tale keyed digging in East Texas Piney Woods
By W. T. Bock
Reprinted from Beaumont Enterprise, Saturday May 15, 1999.

NEDERLAND?Texas has always had its share of that breed of mankind, whom one author labeled "Coronado?s Children." A century ago, every shellbank bordering Sabine Lake or its tributaries had its own legend of Lafitte?s buried gold, but less well-known were the treasure tales of the piney woods.

Most of those stories had their origins in days when Spanish mule trains brought gold and silver from Mexico to Natchitoches, La., to trade for bolts of cloth and hardware. The pack trains were often preyed upon by American bandits, hid out near Sabine River.

One such tale (Galveston News, October 2, 1891) told of the excavations for a cotton wharf at Stark?s Landing, south of Newton, in 1867, where "...the diggers unearthed a deposit of 214 pounds of silver bars..."

In 1897, W. S. Glenn of Palestine, Texas, discovered an aged letter in his grandmother?s trunk, which read in part as follows:

"...Nolan?s Trail, November 17, 1816-On this trail a deposit was made in 1813 by a band of 12 of us, who were captured by Jackson?s Cavalry. Nine of us were killed, and three of us who were captured could either go in the fight (Battle of New Orleans), or stay in prison. One of us died in prison, Perkins was killed in battle, leaving me as the only survivor.

"...The deposit was made by a clear-running stream, under a waterfall, with a high backbone ridge on the east bank. The first capture buried there in April, 1813, was twelve jack loads of silver, and in October, 1813, thirty mule loads of Spanish gold. We captured 5 other small lots in between, which we buried in the same place... John E. Fletcher." (Galveston Daily News, April 21, 1898)

Glenn remembered such a creek on his grandfather?s farm, east of Neches River, where Glenn was born, and where stones of a mill pond, a part of an ancient water mill, still stood. And there are passages in H. S. Thrall?s and H. Yoakum?s histories of Texas that appear to corroborate some of Fletcher?s story.

Since Fletcher?s letter appeared so authentic, Glenn succeeded in convincing others and in organizing a stock company to search for the gold, its officers including four railroad, express company, and bank executives of Palestine. They raised $5,000 to employ diggers to excavate the site.

Glenn?s crew dug from May until October, 1898, at which time the company funds were exhausted, and officers of the stock company chose to abandon the search. It is believed that Glenn?s treasure-hunting enterprise was the largest ever conducted in Southeast Texas.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22494.msg158640.html#msg158640

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
71%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:10:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Piney Woods were renown hidey holes for ne'er do wells from the United States before and after Texas joined the union.  I'd think there would be quite a few possible stashes in there....but this is a story I don't recall having heard before.   Sounds like we could have fun with this one.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22494.msg158747.html#msg158747

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:43:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

diggin up old wounds i see!
joking...still trying to do some sniffing around on this one...where has the time gone!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22494.msg160228.html#msg160228

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by foolsgold
diggin up old wounds i see!
joking...still trying to do some sniffing around on this one...where has the time gone!!

Don't know where you been and don't say drinking beer etc LOL
Good to see you

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22494.msg160245.html#msg160245

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 05:32:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, good to be seen, and back on here, even better

Been doing my share of the beer drinking!, must admit...

just busy with work, traveling the highways and byways of Texas, got jobs all over the place, thank God!

definitely been missing this place, reading what i can when i can on here, but the research has hit a wall, hoping to knock that down soon, and get back after it.

One good thing about all my driving, (besides the fact i like to drive!)it keeps the interest of the backwoods sparked!

cant pass by a place without wondering about the history of it...whether its a small town, or just an old abandoned farm house...seen plenty of those lately. 
have a couple of jobs on the wonderful 'man-made' lakes here in Tx, always wonder what all they covered up when damming them too!(no pun intended, but it works!)

will be glad to get some fresh input on this one though, thanks for the post! hope to be seeing more of yall again soon
thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22494.msg160256.html#msg160256

Offline scallywag
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 03:48:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think Glenn's expedition was looking too far North and a little too far west.  Nolan Trace crossed the Sabine river at Burr Ferry I think.  I have been looking at this for 10 years and I think I have a good spot to look.  More to follow......

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22494.msg211565.html#msg211565

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:51:23 pm by scallywag, Reason: said south meant north »
Offline hoytts12
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Chrome 41.0.2272.96