[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline joejoeTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« on: September 25, 2010, 05:42:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I live on an island in the caribbean with a history of pirates.  (Still going on, but not gold these days).  What would be recommended to use? Should I get a "gold" detector off ebay (being patient) or are there others that can work just as well? I would like to search more in a gold mode, as I'm looking for the big bucks one time! Or would another type work just as well? Any recommendations would be great, I'm still sifting through threads to find info, also.

Thanks!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg117396.html#msg117396

Offline richsls
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

JoeJoe.....This is a complex question!
Do you think the gold is in a strong box?  in a bag? How deep do you expect the cache to be?...all questions you need to research!   Undecided
Maybe a Magnometer would be a better choice, or a 2-Box Detector, rather than a 'Gold detector' with limited depth!... Let us know and perhaps we can help!  Wink

...best...Rich

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg117403.html#msg117403

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 11:26:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

The old people tell of a spot where a sailboat came down about 40-50 years ago and they were winching something aboard. When the fishermen came up to the boat, they stopped winching, gave the man a beer, chatted a while and the fisherman left. Afterwards, when the sailboat left, they found a deep hole up inside the land a bit. Two of the old men that like the treasure stories have died in the last two years, one of cancer, one of his young girlfriend got drunk and stabbed him with a knife. They were always after me to go search, but you know how it is. Never got to it and now they are dead. Maybe they will come to me in a dream, but I can't wait on that!
   I actually have two pulse 8x units, but they are shot. One I burned up the batteries by overcharge and they leaked on the curcuit board and then exposed to the salt air because the cover was cracked open while in storage for 2 years. Got that one off ebay used. Always had some sort of problem, I just chalked it up to jealous spirits. The other is also not working, though it is in much better condition but I cannot find anyone to look at it down here, and I'd have to somehow get it back to the states and give it to fishers, but they want 150 dollah just to look at it. Man, business is slow right now and the wife has got sharp eyes! Any recommendations for that?
   They had a couple pirate forts out here, and one of the areas is uninhabited. Also a place where they used to get water. There are also stories of the older generations that buried their "trinkets" and then died. Some had gold coins and jewelry. And a couple stories of gold caches that broke when they were scraping out and putting in a road. A couple found a gold coin here and there when it rained, but they think the rest was reburied.
    I've only heard a couple people have come down with detectors, and this was many years ago. I figure the stuff they have these days should be decent. The ground here is highly mineralized with iron(volcanic), drop a magnet and it instantly covered. I am new at this, but if I can't get my pulses operational, I'd rather look for something that can discriminate well and still go deep. 
    I was thinking of something that can go down to at least arm length, as digging a deep hole to bury stuff is not that easy (done it myself), and then the thing you are buring takes up that much more room. Who knows what it is in? Could be an iron box (someone once showed me a piece of iron that looked like it may have been a piece of a square lid with the flor de leis stamped on it. It was found down on the beach edge, but never any treasure. But I don't really feel like digging up ever peice of nail I find, I did that alot with the pulse.
    Ok, I'll go check about these two boxers and see what they are. Ok, maybe you can see what I may need a bit clearer now. Thanks Pray
   Looked at these two boxers. They look good! Anyone know where I can find a used one? They don't seem to be as available as the coin shooters. Ebay empty. I'll check the threads if anyone here recommends a certain one or other..... So far, of accidental caches found out here, they've been in clay jars, though there is a legend of six brass kegs buried in a certain area.....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg117484.html#msg117484

Offline tesoro dog
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

tf-900
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 05:52:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

JoeJoe!! Try a tf-900,, you can find em at Kellyco Metal Detectors,, only thing it lacks is a depth meter!   Florida,,,  PS. I know what you mean about jealous spirits,, been there!! HA!!  td

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg117534.html#msg117534

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:22:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, someone told me about them, and some of the deeps seeker PI of 1x1 meter. They both look very good, a few bucks but cheaper than a lot of the very good handhelds. Anyone else use them? What was your experience? Pros and cons? It's like a next level. Ain't lookin' fer pennies this time!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg117593.html#msg117593

Offline kent13
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:58:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Do u have any old maps, or good relaiable stories, about the treasure there. most deep seeking detectors dont do good near the ocean.. there are lots of interferences from mineralization, and water. look for one that has good discrimator, for gold. That is hard to find. like to chat u in person, pmbb1ken@yahoo.com thanks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg118155.html#msg118155

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 11:26:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Someone has been helping me, and showing me the bulgarian manufacturers. Mikron has some good ones, a proton that goes a few meters, doesn't disciminate. Around 400 EUROS.  Where I am not too much habitation in some good spots with "historical" value, stories and legends here and there. And clear spots just to look, because sometimes you just never know! The place is not too big, not like cuba or something.
   Mikron also has a stinger 2, this does have dicrimination, both with a 1x1 meter coil. It is around 1400 EUROS and the dollar is not so strong right now, but still way cheaper than popular brands. I saw somwhere else a manufacturer called rex I think, they had a listing of around 1100 euros with some sort of discrimination or id and lots of other fangdangles.
   These deepers sound pretty good, the tf-900 also sounds good, but may not travel as quickly nor offer discrimination or id.  I don't want to dig down 5 feet for a cannonball. It would still be cool, but I can't be making giant holes everywhere and attracting attention! They'll think I'm buring or retreiving sacks of illicit substances!
   The water able is about 10-20 feet down in many places near the sea, though they say fresh doesn't affect it as much, soil is heavy in iron, just drop a magnet. The ones I've listed are said to do well in heavy mineralization. In order to get them I'd have to put out my hat at my friends doors. And sell them old stories that cannot be proven. But just think of the payoff. Chaching! Looks like I may have to save for a bit.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg118156.html#msg118156

Offline tesoro dog
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

tf-900
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 07:05:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

JOEJOE! the tf-900 discriminates! It should only pick up non-ferrous metals,,, ie,,, gold and silver,, Luck Amigo!  td

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg118222.html#msg118222

Offline kent13
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:58:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Joe Joe many people dont really know how difficult the soils are on the islands around the world. mineralized clays, black magnetic sands, and other minerals. many machines will get poor result in those condtions. If those machines worked like the manufacture leds us to believe there would be a lot fewer treasures out there. If u find a treasure that is very shallow the machines are good, but deeper it is a problem. Good info and lots of luck can carry u a long way. do u mind telling us what island u are on. thanks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg118292.html#msg118292

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 12:33:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hmm.. I am afraid to tell which island I am on, until I bust up with some booty!  I don't want to run my mouth too much and the next thing you know someone brainpicking my sources! But somewhere in the western caribbean, between the bay islands and panama. I still haven't come up with any better than the PI rex machines for the price.  I was also looking at the tf900, would be great to have a data logger, but then the price is higher than these PI machines I mentioned. Like I said, I'm really only looking in the first few feet, maybe down to five or so, I don't think much would be further down, unless things were hidden down in a well. I don't have any black sand, lots of red clay and iron in the soil. Someone was down with a whites 1 or 2 the other day, but it didn't seem to be too bad. Found a coin from columbia. I once found a gold colored coin in a tidal pool and it looked like a finger and  thumb was in the water. I rubbed my eyes and looked again, and even knowing that it must be grass, it STILL looked like a pointing finger. So humoring it, I looked to see where it was pointing, and about 7-8 inched in front was this small golden coin the size of a dime. Pretty wild. I couldn't beleive it. After I picked it out of the water, I looked at the finger, and then it looked like a normal piece of seagrass. Unfortunately, when i went to the city to get it checked, I showed it where we were staying and left it on the table by accident. When I remembered and went back, it was gone. Kinda sucks, but the story is still cool. But it just whetted my appetite. It was not a super old coin, from around the 1920's of the country I'm in. But now I want more! Lots more!!! muahahahahaaha! Business is slow, need some bucks in the coffers.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg118323.html#msg118323

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: