[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline growdudeTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

470.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 07:50:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There is evidence the Spanish were in the area pieces of armor and partial helmet have been found but the story is that the Indians attacked the Spanish while moving gold via mules while headed towards Florida where the gold was to be shipped to Spain the Indians were supposed to have hidden the hold in a cave in the area I'm searching so I don't think the markings are Spanish but Indian markings leading to the cave I have also found a rattlesnake carved into a bluff beside a stream in the same area .the cave was found in the 1920s and a few bars recovered but the finders were never able to locate the cave again .the men who found it said there were several hundred small bars still in the cave.

Posted on: January 02, 2012, 06:59:37 PM
I want to thank everyone for the replies I have been looking for this for 20 years I have done lots of research and leg work. I started out in a valley that the story pertained to but recent evidence has me searching in the next valley over I think I have been looking in the wrong place and so has everyone else.I have recently found more markings and there are numerous caves in the area the fold is not just stacked in plain sight in the cave it is hidden but in plain sight at the same time the Indians were very clever. Someone could walk right over or by them and not know it. I'm currently trying to contact a native American society seeking help with the markings. I'm well equipped with detectors pulse and vlf and looking into gpr. Im not new to treasure hunting and have found a few caches. Paid for two new vehicles with my finds.this seems to be a site with a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,34710.msg210408.html#msg210408

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 02:35:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

growdude, I think that contacting a native American society is a good move with the following caveats:
1) make sure you are dealing with descendants of tribes that would have been in the area when the markings are likely to have been made (i.e. when the markings would have been approximately the height that you could comfortably make them yourself).  Native Americans are not and never have been a homogenous group.   Just because someone is "full-blooded" Cherokee, doesn't mean he or she is going to understand the meaning of signs and symbols used by the Hopi or the Blackfeet.   For that matter, the meaning of a lot of signs and symbols has been lost over the last 100-150+ years within the same tribe (and meanings are frequently made up just to get the questioner to go away)

2) the "Spanish" Helmet, the morion and/or the cabassett, were used by most European countries during the same time that the Spanish were using them.....so the presence of that type of helmet does not automatically mean the presences of Spaniards.  (Although if it is a helmet and knot something else like a battle-axe, then it at least refers to Europeans).

3) If your arborist is correct, then that potentially puts the carving into the period that Europeans wore that type of helmet.   However, if the sources everyone else cite are correct and the maximum age is 300 years, the tree is too young to represent something viewed at the time of the carving----But that does not preclude an "old" man from carving the images as a record of things he had witness as a youth (or even of a person recording something they had heard from their father or grandfather).

4) If the tree is in Alabama, extreme west Georgia, or Florida the possibility of it's representing what you hope it represents increases as Alabama and Georgia contain known Gold producing areas and the panhandles of both Alabama and Georgia was included in the territory claimed and "administered" by the Spanish at the time.

Good luck.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,34710.msg210974.html#msg210974

Offline growdudeTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

470.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 02:35:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you.I am already looking into contacting a native American society .thanks for your response very helpful.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,34710.msg211043.html#msg211043

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: