[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 08:01:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes I think you right i've been doing lots of searching to see what I can find

AU

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg190483.html#msg190483

Offline joejoeTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2011, 10:36:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Lots of good stuff here. I think many will read these posts with interest.
  Shortribs- Is there anything special that separates a professional coil from a homemade one? If I have basalt rocks and red clay, will the tdi with homemade 1x1  remain relatively undisturbed?
  Or is it better to get the professional dedicated model, instead? Some of the few I was looking at was the vega, megapulse, and a couple others. If they are about the same that would certainly influence my final decision.
   I looked at the DIY project kits and they are crazily cheap.
  Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg190535.html#msg190535

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2011, 12:17:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Its really reasonable to make a pulse or a pulse head if u can solder and know schmatics.  I cant read schmatics worth a darn but had a buddy that was a whiz at it so I got everything done for nothing.I would say that even tho some pulses are real high priced not all would be real real deep. The one I bought from A&S here in the states (california) for 300$ some time back was a bargain now they want 600$ Really if u want a deep pulse get a used minelab gold machine they sell for like 3-800$ here and they got about 15 heads that will interchange and u could get someone to make up a 1x1 for u for about little to nothing.The coil in a 1x1 is like a cb cable and put it in a plastic piece of pipe.Some one here on the forum maybe u said someone makes a 1x1 but didnt say if that was in UK or USA.The bad problem is the ones big K sells are marked up 100% and if u are close to france or germany or Bulgaria etc the pulses are reasonable over your way.If u are looking for caches not over 4ft down then i would think any pulse with a 1x1 head or a 24x24 head would go that deep. most of my caches that I have been fortunate to get out was only 3 ft down one being in a dirt basement wall (gal of half dollars) and a gal of nickles under a store wooden floor (1ft) My first cache was a rotten saddle bag full of money from a bank robbery near me some 30 yr ago,some one got most of the money and left the rotten saddlebag  hung in the side of a dry creek bed as they were still etched in dry ground had to pull them out of dry bank and they fell apart from being rotted and water and sun .

Posted on: August 10, 2011, 12:01:24 PM
Not mentioned is I use an l-rod and camera and an mfd some of the times. Seems to help me and narrow it down. I also have a map dowsed of the area if possible to narrow down the time and area to look in.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg190550.html#msg190550

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2011, 01:07:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hmmm.. I was sure it was 1x1 but when I went to check it was something like a 19x22 square. Made by a fellow named llamar Cannon on the ac-geo site. How did I think that? I was positive-I'll keep checking. Though maybe I'm getting dyslexic or just plain nuts.
   What is your opinion on a used tdi? Pretty much the same? I would be here in the states on trips. Have you had experience with the logger units? Worthwhile or just a waste of money?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg190554.html#msg190554

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2011, 02:37:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a cache hunting friend in kentucky that has a logger and likes it . I haven't used one yet,having fairly good luck with the camera and l rod and mfd. U could probably use any 1x1 pulse head on most any pulse detector. However as I mentioned they are NOT that hard to build (1x1).I just sold my TDI as to get the smaller one (TDI sl).The gentleman u mentioned would most likely make u up a head or cable and all u do is stringthe cablet thru the  plastic pipe.Myself I don't start a cache site hunt without having someone picture or map dowsing it first. My MFD allows me to picture dowse my cache site anyway with the sx-70 film and camera. My only problem of 40+ yrs is have run into ghost at some sites and that throws me off a little.

Posted on: August 10, 2011, 02:31:50 PM
I don't believe the 19x22 head is deep enough for 3ft or deeper items unless they are very large (5 gal barrel) Minelab has a 36in I believe or grab a 1x1 from off another pulse and try it thats your best bet.If u are looking for 1or 2 foot deep then the 19x22 might work but not on a small item like a pop can.Hop all this helps as it took me time and expence to figgure out the combination.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg190576.html#msg190576

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by shortribs
I have a cache hunting friend in kentucky that has a logger and likes it . I haven't used one yet,having fairly good luck with the camera and l rod and mfd. U could probably use any 1x1 pulse head on most any pulse detector. However as I mentioned they are NOT that hard to build (1x1).I just sold my TDI as to get the smaller one (TDI sl).The gentleman u mentioned would most likely make u up a head or cable and all u do is stringthe cablet thru the  plastic pipe.Myself I don't start a cache site hunt without having someone picture or map dowsing it first. My MFD allows me to picture dowse my cache site anyway with the sx-70 film and camera. My only problem of 40+ yrs is have run into ghost at some sites and that throws me off a little.

Posted on: August 10, 2011, 02:31:50 PM
I don't believe the 19x22 head is deep enough for 3ft or deeper items unless they are very large (5 gal barrel) Minelab has a 36in I believe or grab a 1x1 from off another pulse and try it thats your best bet.If u are looking for 1or 2 foot deep then the 19x22 might work but not on a small item like a pop can.Hop all this helps as it took me time and expence to figgure out the combination.

Yes, it helps me out ALOT. Do you beleive the tdi with 1x1 is enough for my needs? Right now I'm looking to get something of good quality, will be sufficient, but not too much over the top. Looking for a cache(s) and looking to scan large areas quickly before someone sees me. You use terms I am not familiar with, such as MFD and l rod. (Trying to find the 'I' key, I found it is an 'L' key) I tried that a couple times and it did bring me to a certain area. My friend who has experience aslo did it and took him to two spots. I've not tried the map.
  On the site the fellow says "it is a lot of work to build one of these monsters", or something to that effect. Hah.
  I think I can relate to the ghost business. I've already told them I am not interested in their stuff so please do not break my stuff. And if I DO accidently find something, I promise to leave some behind to have something to watch over. I'm pretty certain it was them that broke my last one.
  Your posts are enlightening, thanks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg190579.html#msg190579

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 05:56:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I believe u could find a used body mount pulse in your country,as ther are a few over your way that u could buy used or reconditioned for a fair price. If u have been on the geo tech forum u can see where they have pulse kits and if u cant read schmatics then u could have some one on the forum make up one for u. The TDI probably would not be your best price as I assume u r in the UK.So I would think u could pick up a good pulse used  in your country better than I could here.In all honesty I believe that if the pulse that may not be as deep as a higher price one, u could get a bigger head 1x1 or larger and  cover some ground.My self I just can't look for a site without having it dowsed or have good cause to look in a certain spot and maybe haveing it dowsed by 2 different dowsers.as u have some good dowsers over their. I don't know of a way to quickly look over a cache site . Its just time consuming. Thats why I use a dowser to knock down the time element. We have a lot of national forest here in the midwest usa and I have 3 caches in the forest but its jail time if they catch u detecting in their. so I have to go else where. We had a civil war here some 150 yr ago and there is money buried all over.

Posted on: August 10, 2011, 05:39:43 PM
JJ About the coil I don't think there's too much difference in coils just in the pulse detector itself. As u know pulses ARE affected by mineralization just like VLF detectors only not as bad.That being said some pulse models have measures (pots) to help with the mineralization I don't know which make of pulse is best!!!! The cheap one I had from A&S Has a 40x40in head so that suited my need and u can inter use some pulse heads with different makes which helps out a lot.I like a 30 or 36in head Round on a pulse as they are light and can cover some ground. Just wished I lived near the ocean for pirate sites. I live in Missouri (midwest) and have a lot of civil war sites here and jesses james type caches.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg190599.html#msg190599

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fishers pulsex
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 06:17:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Maybe you were talking to RR in the previous (1st) post? I wasn't sure. Do you think your old tdi with a 1x1 could handle my conditions looking for buried loot?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg190600.html#msg190600

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 06:30:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes  I believe any pulse with a 1meterx1meter coil would do anything u wanted. It would have depth and u have access to many heads,The 1x1 coil isnt my favorite but the 36in is Most pulses have got POWER beond belief.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18156.msg190604.html#msg190604

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

290.00 Gold