[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge RunnerTopic starter
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:51:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

G'day folks, I thought I would post this because Power is a big part of RV's, Camping, Detecting and as A Tool which that I have come to appreciate a lot lately due to one Detector I have and in the past I use to use them when working on Building sites where there was no AC power,

My main concern is the One of my detector only runs for about 4 and a half hours So If I want to continue Treasure hunting or Prospecting I need a small Inverter, I like that Detector but still no one has come up with a better battery system apart from the one I built my self and once the voltage drops so does the depth and being able to change batteries  mid way through the day Is a bonus, and buying the inverter is a lot cheaper than buying a few of the rechargeable batteries which will loose power over the hours while sitting in my back pack/

When buying these inverters you need to buy one that has the power rating that is about 20% more output than you biggest item that you need power for, I started off with a 300 watt model that has a surge rating of 310 watts, Now to most that may seem small but I have managed to power the factory chargers for my Dewalt and Makita Cordless tools for months at a time, A Unit with this rating will plug straight in to your Cigar Lighter socket in your Car/Truck with no ill effects and they have an Auto Cut Out at around 10.8 volts so you always have enough power to start you Vehicle, Don't turn your nose up at inverters of this size because you will be surprized just what they can do, I recently bought a Detector that has a bit of a thirst for power So I always keep this 300 watt inverter close to hand either under the seat or in my Detecting back pack,

The for bigger jobs I bought an 800 watt model that had a Surge rating of 2000 watts and then I bought A 1000 watt model with a surge of 2500 watts purely because I wanted to run a Microwave Oven, So I swapped the 800 watt model with my brother for a 600 watt model that Surges to 1500 watts, so now I have an Inverter for different needs,

For 90% of your needs you can and will get by with one of the smaller Inverters, and due to the simplicity of the smaller models you won't have to hardwire them into your Vehicle which means you can swap it from vehicle to vehicle, The other Benefit of the smaller models is you don't have to try and find a mounting place where it will be safe and so will your loved ones

In these picture you will see the Black model is the 300 watt inverter and yet the 600 watt inverter is actually smaller than the 300 watt model, Both of which have a single AC outlet, And the Larger 1000 watt has AC Double outlets,

Another thing to consider when buying inverters is that they Draw  power even when nothing is plugged in to them the small one can draw about 0.100 mah and the 1000 watt version can chew between 0.400mah to 0.900 mah when they are left on with no load connected, So buy wisely and use wisely and where applicable make sure you EARTH them from the connector on the back either to the car/trucks Ground or if using them out side using a metal spike going in to the Ground And always remember to switch them off or unplug them when not in use.

Good Luck

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62757.msg310548.html#msg310548

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

484.jpg
485.jpg
486.jpg
487.jpg
488.jpg

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 08:52:07 am by Ridge Runner »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 44.0
Firefox 44.0

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 07:58:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have a whole box full of 300 W   Invertors around here some place.   I worked at a wire harness factory for a spell .  Every time they had one take a dump because it needed a new battery they would chuck it out and buy a new one.  LOL      

I use to Rewind Microwave Oven Transformers to make them.  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62757.msg310550.html#msg310550

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 08:52:19 am by homefire »
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:33:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

I bought the 1000 watt inverter because of the microwave, The problem lies in the advertising it was supposed to be 7 or 800 watt well that was the output power when I got it home and read the manual it says it needs 1000 watts to power it and now I may get a bigger one and be done with it, I have been looking at 2 to 3000 watt models but I am just sure whether to go that big but if I only use it when needed and not as a main source of power just for the High powered items I think it will be fine,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62757.msg310555.html#msg310555

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 44.0
Firefox 44.0

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 08:54:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Micro wave are power suckers for sure.   I'm more of a camp Fire and time kinda person.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62757.msg310556.html#msg310556

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 02:44:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
Micro wave are power suckers for sure.   I'm more of a camp Fire and time kinda person.   

I got the microwave for the camper and it is good for when I am in places where they don't like you lighting fires, I worked out that they are a cheap way of heating food when you are on the move and fuss free.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62757.msg310570.html#msg310570

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 44.0
Firefox 44.0

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 03:00:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Flame O NNNNNNNNNNNNN

Posted on: March 20, 2016, 02:53:12 pm
 Got into a Spit with the Kind Lady Ranger one time.   They had a fire Restriction .   I had the BB-Q  IN my van.  doors open.  Told me to put it out.  Brats half cooked I Kinda told her to Piss Off.  I had the BB-Q in the  Van cooking.   WTH ?   I Won that Argument.  

In New Mexico your car / Truck or RV is a extension of your home.   You can have a Gun under the front Seat.  I could have a Camp Fire in my home.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62757.msg310574.html#msg310574

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:04:18 pm by homefire »
Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 10:53:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
G'day folks, I thought I would post this because Power is a big part of RV's, Camping, Detecting and as A Tool which that I have come to appreciate a lot lately due to one Detector I have and in the past I use to use them when working on Building sites where there was no AC power,

My main concern is the One of my detector only runs for about 4 and a half hours So If I want to continue Treasure hunting or Prospecting I need a small Inverter, I like that Detector but still no one has come up with a better battery system apart from the one I built my self and once the voltage drops so does the depth and being able to change batteries  mid way through the day Is a bonus, and buying the inverter is a lot cheaper than buying a few of the rechargeable batteries which will loose power over the hours while sitting in my back pack/

When buying these inverters you need to buy one that has the power rating that is about 20% more output than you biggest item that you need power for, I started off with a 300 watt model that has a surge rating of 310 watts, Now to most that may seem small but I have managed to power the factory chargers for my Dewalt and Makita Cordless tools for months at a time, A Unit with this rating will plug straight in to your Cigar Lighter socket in your Car/Truck with no ill effects and they have an Auto Cut Out at around 10.8 volts so you always have enough power to start you Vehicle, Don't turn your nose up at inverters of this size because you will be surprized just what they can do, I recently bought a Detector that has a bit of a thirst for power So I always keep this 300 watt inverter close to hand either under the seat or in my Detecting back pack,

The for bigger jobs I bought an 800 watt model that had a Surge rating of 2000 watts and then I bought A 1000 watt model with a surge of 2500 watts purely because I wanted to run a Microwave Oven, So I swapped the 800 watt model with my brother for a 600 watt model that Surges to 1500 watts, so now I have an Inverter for different needs,

For 90% of your needs you can and will get by with one of the smaller Inverters, and due to the simplicity of the smaller models you won't have to hardwire them into your Vehicle which means you can swap it from vehicle to vehicle, The other Benefit of the smaller models is you don't have to try and find a mounting place where it will be safe and so will your loved ones

In these picture you will see the Black model is the 300 watt inverter and yet the 600 watt inverter is actually smaller than the 300 watt model, Both of which have a single AC outlet, And the Larger 1000 watt has AC Double outlets,

Another thing to consider when buying inverters is that they Draw  power even when nothing is plugged in to them the small one can draw about 0.100 mah and the 1000 watt version can chew between 0.400mah to 0.900 mah when they are left on with no load connected, So buy wisely and use wisely and where applicable make sure you EARTH them from the connector on the back either to the car/trucks Ground or if using them out side using a metal spike going in to the Ground And always remember to switch them off or unplug them when not in use.

Good Luck

basically also the same principle as a Stepped-up & Stepped-down transformer, just lower voltage/wattage/amps than what we used on the railroad...

Good stuff there John,
Now I need to get and build my own RV to go out west with....I'm thinking Colorado, detecting, panning, and then digging gem stones.

Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62757.msg310621.html#msg310621

Best Regards,
Jim

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 06:36:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

well Jim they are almost a necessity when it comes to going off the Grid prospecting even more so depending if your going out there for a week or so, Like I said one of my machines can do to a pack of Batteries what GD can do to a nice Rib eye or fillet steak  in no time,

Only difference is my detector don't need a Beer to wash it down,  Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62757.msg310643.html#msg310643

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 09:56:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
well Jim they are almost a necessity when it comes to going off the Grid prospecting even more so depending if your going out there for a week or so, Like I said one of my machines can do to a pack of Batteries what GD can do to a nice Rib eye or fillet steak  in no time,

Only difference is my detector don't need a Beer to wash it down,  Shocked

Yep sounds good there John, I can see the need for a few of those going out on the range for awhile, or just like you mentioned, going off the grid....A necessity for sure!

lol....That's it, we're going off the grid....
Reminds me of this TV commercial here in the US for "Little Caesars Pizza"... Grin

Please Register or Login

Hey anybody got $5.00 I can borrow?

Cheers,
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62757.msg310648.html#msg310648

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:00:37 pm by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 05:09:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well folks I am still trying to sort this thing out, So will all the above I am going to go with 2 or 4 X 135 Amp batteries purely because of the weight and the fact I can split them in to 2 banks of 270 Amps, One will be powered by a 100 watt Solar panel and the other will have either a 22" wind generator @ 46 watts per hour MAX or a 36" wind generator rated @ 262 watts per hour,, The only problem with the 36" is mounting it along with making it easy to take down when on the move, But I will also buy a 1000 watt petrol/Gas portable Generator that has a built in 5 Amp charger, I use to have one with an 8.3 Amp charger built in but in a moment of madness I sold it. Undecided

I am still going to add another folding 100 watt solar panel so then I will have 2 in total, but these wind generators have got me bugged the 22" Costs £339.00 and the 36" costs £579.00, The power difference is about 6 to 1 for less than 50% extra but it is the Mounting of the thing that is the problem, I might go with the 262 watt / 36" version and worry about how I am going to deal with mounting it etc later.

J

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62757.msg313157.html#msg313157

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: