[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline FlakyNuggetTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

115.00 Gold
View Inventory
rdlycar
Awards

Garrett AT Gold, Coinmaster Pro
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:11:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

There is a Native legend in the aria of British Columbia that I live in(Kelowna). Ill quote some info I have found on the subject below, and add to it here as I find more. It is an interesting tale, that to me seems quite plausible. Here is part one.

Although history books tell us that the Similkameen Indians first contact with White men was with the fur traders around 1811 (David Thompson) there is convincing evidence to the contrary. Local Indians oral history tells of White men with strange helmets wearing armor & riding "elk". Horses were unknown in this area at the time. They set up camp near the Indian village (present day Keremeos). Apparently it was a large party & they stayed quite a while. Native history places this event before the mid 1700's. An argument broke out with the Spaniards killing several Indians & taking others as prisoners. They pushed on through the Okanagan Valley and set up North East of present day Kelowna. In 1863 the remains of a 36 foot x 75 foot log structure was in this area that was judged to be over 100 years old. The natives certainly did not build structures like this & neither the Hudson Bay Company or the North West Compamy established a post in this area. It seems likely that as the Spaniards wintered here they built it for the men & horses. After a miserable winter they returned the way they they had come & camped near Keremeos Creek. The Natives were aware of their return & attacked while most were sleeping killing them all. The Chief determined that they were bad luck & ordered every thing buried. This burial place is known as the "Lost Spanish Mound". It seems that some items escaped the burial. There is a Spanish sword of that era given to the Penticton Museum by a Native woman & reports of a Spanish helmet found in the Ashnola River near Keremeos. West of Keremeos there is an Indian rock painting depicting mounted men with helmets & standing figures chained together at the neck. There are also dogs with large mouths & bared teeth guarding the prisoners. This was practised by the Spanish with prisoners in Mexico. There is more circunstantial evidence of this event but I have gone on to long.

I would like to hunt down the location of the alleged Spanish camp.  Anyone have any insight into the types of locations Spanish explorers would have setup? Might be a good starting point.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38592.msg237712.html#msg237712

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

HEDLEY_302a.jpg

Offline jhd
Bronze Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, AT Pro, F75, Propointer, large industrial magnet on a rope.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:35:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have never found anything associated to a story. Im sure it happens. The real stoy is not always as written. I have not seen any Spanish mounds, but some mounds of other design.

Spanish trails excite me. I spend a lot of time on them. What I find is there is different types of camps. Some high, some low. Some will say a number seven marks a camp. Since I hunt camps, I have found most places has a number 7 in one form or the other.

If the Spanish had time to set up a proper camp you will be able to locate it several ways. The problem with Spanish sign is you need a beginning of the trail to know your on a Spanish site. Spanish signs with out a starting point is just a rock.

Monuments are usually high. They will look in the direction of the camp. The monument wont be by itself. So telling which monument is looking at the camp is a puzzle. I have found the use of hoyo's, small sight holes in rocks very helpful with this. But the direction the eyes are pointing will do for most stuff.

You are dealing with several hundred years of water and erosion. You have trees now that may have not been there. The Spanish was there for Trade, so find out what they were trading and see if you can find a few clues there.

Things to look for would be animals carvings or sculpture. Any monument that does not have at least one other carving is most likely just a rock. A few of the animals include, turtles, birds, and snakes. You may also see things like Bells, or hearts. Now diamonds and circles, they also may be included.

Definately look for a large monument, up high. I like to approach from the south. Dont try to read anything into the signs, I feel that's mostly nonsense. You just dont know till you get the whole trail mapped out. Also dont dig monuments or markers. You most likely will dog in the wrong spot and destroy the marker.

The mound you are looking for is a grave. It should be treated as such. I have a working email and phone number to my state Archy to report such finds.

If you find anything, dont take pictures with a gps or cell phone and post online. Crop your pictures and try to use a tripod. I dont know the laws there, but best to keep quiet till you do if you find anything.

The hunt is the best part for me. I look forward to your post.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38592.msg237713.html#msg237713

Offline FlakyNuggetTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

115.00 Gold
View Inventory
rdlycar
Awards

Garrett AT Gold, Coinmaster Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:02:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Came across an excerpt from a book, where the author recounts his experience regarding his search for the Spanish Mound.  its a good read, and it has added a couple of clues to my search for the Spanish settlement.

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.ca/books?id=WysmnAHeQ7QC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=bill+barlee+spanish&source=bl&ots=PbDTg-ybhW&sig=LhxtzbWvyb4MVS6b8Aw_sVdafUY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=47C5UIP5GK33igLTvoHIBw&ved=0CE0Q6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=bill%20barlee%20spanish&f=false

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38592.msg237779.html#msg237779

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: