[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline wiser
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 09:11:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

I wish we had stuff that old here in the States!  Cry

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2659.msg33673.html#msg33673

Offline tyler
Bronze Member

me
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 06:27:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

i wish it to is stuuf that old just randomly spread or concenrated like near houses or what.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2659.msg33953.html#msg33953

Offline everywhere
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites & fisher& garrett
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 07:31:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

cristian ,where are you from, my vacation is coming up & ill be in centeral europe for several weeks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2659.msg35289.html#msg35289

Offline farmdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2085.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 10:44:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Christian, Thanks for sharing that, that's really interesting!

I gotta admit that's the first thing I've heard about an arrowhead being found in Europe. Please take into consideration I'm a newbie into artifact hunting and not well educated on artifacts.  Smiley But anyways......... it got me thinking about something. I just came back from a state park here in Minnesota that apparently has lots of Native American artifacts. It firmly stated on the parks brochure that any "finds" should be given to the park officials so everyone could enjoy them later on.

Now, here's my concern for everyone reading this. Especially all you state archaelogists and DNR officials that may be reading this. I can guarantee you this is a concern by anyone involved in a find whether it is on state or private property. First off, let me acknowledge that I am a firm believer that such an extroradinary find, whether it's a arrowhead or full intact Native American bowl, etc., should be made available to the public to see instead of being in a persons sole possession.

However, I know that most people would be skeptical about whether their find, once given to local authorities, would end up being made available to the public. I have to admit, although I didn't find anything (I wasn't even looking) I was fishing  Grin .........Caught 2 bass and a walleye for all you fisherman out there that were curious! So...... anyways........ If I had found something, I would of gladly turned it over.  However, I would have liked seeing some sort of guarantee by the park or state firmly stated within that park brochure that says that the public would have seen it and that I would have been given credit for the find etc.

To be honest, my real concern is that such finds are being made and people are not reporting them, because they believe they will make more money on the "black market" or whatever it's called, or that they could be giving a huge chunk of future cash over to the gov.

The reason I say this is because, sadly, I've heard of these sorts of finds ending up collecting dust somewhere in a University storage shed or ending up in someone else's collection, even ending up in professional archaelogists personal collection...... which I hope wouldn't happen, and I hope was nonsense told to me......but it really makes me wonder......... So......... for all you DNR officials or archaelogists reading this....... just something to think about......

Please tell me what guarantees are out there that I should trust you that my possible future finds will end up in the public eyesight or at least end up giving me recognition for such finds?

I'm not looking for you to just "tell me" that they will be acknowledged who found them, etc. I 'm looking for proof, written in actual laws etc. that guarantee me it.  For all of you that think I'm taking this too far...(I don't believe I am, like I said earlier I 'm  just a newbie with some concerns).....anyone that finds anything that is thousands of years old needs reassurement that they will be acknowledged for their extraordinary finds, regardless of where they are in this world, before they turn it over to the respective "authorities".

Recognition, as well as at the same time a museum having the opportunity to acquire it is very important for anyone with a find and half a heart to turn it over. I understand it's a state park, and no matter what the laws were, "I", would have turned anything over I had found regardless. However, I'm not so sure I could say the same about others. I apologize if there are laws and policies out there that I speak of and am not aware of. But I have looked....... and found nothing! If there are, please put them out there so the public can find them........easily, for example in those state park brochures that tell the public to turn over any finds.

I apoligize for making this long, but I believe it's a serious matter that needs talking about. Please, anyone that has any thoughts or anything to contribute do so!

Cheers!,

farmdigger!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2659.msg38567.html#msg38567

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 12:05:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by delfaver
Just wondering, does anyone ever donate relics to a museum or something like that?  Or loan it for display?

If you do that here, tha stuff becomes gifts to
family and friends of tha museum employies.

If not, it becomes part of their private collection
or is sold.

There are exceptions. But that seems to be tha
norm.

They come and ask for tha stuff too, if they
know ya got it.

Then they act like metal detectorist are grave
robbers.

I documented a couple of finds with Arkansas
Archeological Survey.

If I got anything they want, they will have ta
take it,

Tabdog

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2659.msg38569.html#msg38569

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by wiser
I wish we had stuff that old here in the States!  :'(

My oldest Arkansas find is 8,000 to 10,000 years old. It
was found on private property with tha property owners
permission approx 35 years ago.

{alt}

Ya just got ta hold yur toung right,

Tabdog

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2659.msg38570.html#msg38570
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/dcb1265/5-20-9-1.jpg

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:19:52 am by tabdog »
Offline farmdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2085.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 12:21:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Tabdog,

I saw that find you have posted there earlier. Truly an awesome find! It's sad that we can't trust local museums, but oh well, hopefully I'm wrong, and someone will post on this thread and convince me otherwise. I know of some good places I will be hunting soon that will have the potential for some finds. Maybe If i find some good ones I'll start a museum where people can contribute and will be given recognition for their finds and the public will be able to enjoy them. In a perfect world......... can't be too much to ask can it?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh??? Happy Hunting!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2659.msg38571.html#msg38571

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 12:39:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by farmdigger
Tabdog,

I saw that find you have posted there earlier. Truly an awesome find! It's sad that we can't trust local museums, but oh well, hopefully I'm wrong, and someone will post on this thread and convince me otherwise. I know of some good places I will be hunting soon that will have the potential for some finds. Maybe If i find some good ones I'll start a museum where people can contribute and will be given recognition for their finds and the public will be able to enjoy them. In a perfect world......... can't be too much to ask can it?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh??? Happy Hunting!

I hate tha way things go sometimes. But, I try to not
worry about things I can not change.

But, I will buck when these holleyer that thou museum
freeks start goin on about bull crap.

We, in this area are saving history by diggin it up.

If we did not, developement will distroy it.

If they do not distroy it museum folks will distribute
it anong their customers.

They complain about us,

that is like tha pot callin tha soap dirty,

Tabdog

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2659.msg38572.html#msg38572

Offline farmdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2085.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 12:51:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

I agree, I know of some sites that I will be askin about digin in and hope they say yes, if not there is no doubt they will be strip malls and cookie board cutout houses in half a dozen years on top of those could be relics put in a museum. Hope they say yes Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2659.msg38573.html#msg38573

Offline atomic_swing_stick
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

275.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Safari with Sunray X1 probe, EXcelerator 16" EQ2, EXcelerator 10" x 14" EQ2, EXcelerator 8" concentric, EXcelerator 4.5" x 7" EQ2, Coiltec 15" WOT,   Garrett ACE 250, Sniper 4" coil, 6" x 9" standard coil.
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 08:34:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow! Now thats a find! so how do you determine the date/era of something like that? How are the municipalities towards metal detecting in Europe?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2659.msg45749.html#msg45749

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: