[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gholaTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:32:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Figured I drop this here to attract some old timers. Got two an xt and a 286. See how many bites turn up. Also a dual 5 1/2 drive ibm xt.

How many remember playing the banana toss game?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25547.msg177932.html#msg177932

Offline cache
Knight
Silver Member

NOT INGAGING IN IGNORANCE IS WISDOM
Thank you123

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4335.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow's,  X2, X2 and X3
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:44:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Careful who your call'in "old timers" as your only as old as ya feel my freind. Sad thing here is I feel older than I am?? Grin Whatsa  banana toss game?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25547.msg177935.html#msg177935

Always set your detector knobs on high dedication, higher devotion and at the highest persistence

Seconds Of Madness   Monster Munch   Military Snow  
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:54:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It was a old basic program. Two gorillas standing on buildings you would type in trajectory and power. (If I remember that right.) and take turns trying to get each other. They had a few other programs I can't remember. One was for figuring out payments on loans. You know you were an early geek when you were thrilled when dos 5 made it out. And weren't sure about windows 3 when it made it out.

Almost forgot hers a screen shot of it.

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_%28video_game%29

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25547.msg177939.html#msg177939

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 02:44:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

I designed and built my first computer using an 8080a which I replaced immediately with a Z-80 when it came out. I had two 8 inch floppy drives and didn't even need a hard drive. It was an S-100 bus behemoth with enough space between the bus connectors for all of my wire wrapped boards to squeeze themselves in. It ran on CP/M and I worked with a fellow named Gary Kildall on his version of MP/M which he provided me once over a long lunch in Scottsdale, AZ. Gary was the author of the very first multi-tasking operating system MP/M.

In 1981, I installed a 10 Megabyte hard drive into the system after I wrote the drivers for it. Hand coding and recompiling the operating system was called hacking back then and you either became good at it or suffered obsolescence. Nobody wanted that.

I tried CPM-86, Bill Gates' first offering into multi-processing (not to be confused with multi-tasking). It was a good effort but Bill kept his source code secret so you really couldn't make any changes to the hardware that was not allowed in the system.

My first IBM compatible was an X-T Pro and believe it or not, that same hard disk traveled to that machine when I got it. The CP/M operating system allowed me to recompile it to work on the IBM just fine but I did get MS-DOS and (here it comes) Windows 2.01 for this new, crazy fast machine.

Computing power has increased by leaps and bounds in the past few dozen years and I now hold more power in my Android phone than existed in the first half dozen computes I owned combined. My dad died in 1967 and he was given a 5 function calculator for his last birthday which amazed him to no end. If he could see what we routinely use today, he would think he landed in a fantasy world.

And yet we complain regularly about our bugs, misfires and problems with Internet access.

I, for one, still hold the amazement gene in me and am in awe of the computing power we possess. The scale of the technology we have at our disposal still astounds me while the 16 year old kid next door just wants it to play his games faster.

Yes, I feel old.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25547.msg177967.html#msg177967

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 02:47:44 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jamjars
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Treasure Ace 100, Garrett Treasure Ace 300 (under review) Cheapy chinese thing (your's for $5), Fisher VLF551d (currently in peices)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 03:12:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

i started out with a sinclair ZX81
went on to Commodore 64
then 386 and 486 sx &dx machines.  we thought'd we'd never fill a 40 meg hard drive.
there was no internet, it was all dialup access to bulletin boards.
a lot of the first games we had were text adventures.

programs were written lean to fit the system limitations, now storage and memory
are so cheap there is no restriction to what you can make things do...
i feel old and the world is a lot different now   Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25547.msg177974.html#msg177974

Living in shaky town, where the earth will move for you too {alt}

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:52:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Looking at the IBM I have is the PC not the new fangled PC-XT. Just wonder if the 5.25's boot disks I have still work. In the time of 386's and 486's I had a few web pages and spent a lot of time making sure they were as low memory as possible. Took to long to load up it would be aggravating. Walking to the kitchen to get a snack or drink while the page loaded. Telnet'ing, putting your web site up by ftp. Or when a local computer club had a server and was an acceptable. And doing a quick check HAL-PC is still around.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25547.msg177991.html#msg177991

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:46:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by jamjars
a lot of the first games we had were text adventures.

I still enjoy the Crowther-Woods Colossal Cave adventure game. It's been ported to Windows by a dedicated fan group.

For those of you under the age of 60, that was a game written in Fortran that allowed the player to walk around inside of a giant cave gathering tools, food, water and treasure as you fought off gnomes, creatures and used logic to gain all 550 points needed to win the game. No matter how many times you won it, the next adventure would be the same but different. Great game.

Posted on: May 30, 2011, 07:44:45 PM

Please Register or Login

http://www.rickadams.org/adventure/

Here's a link to versions for nearly every computer out there, including some of the antiques we have been discussing.

The Windows executable is attached here. Enjoy!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25547.msg178073.html#msg178073

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

winadv21.zip

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:49:39 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline bubby-joe
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter, garrett, rat shack,(retired)cen tech hand held, new tesoro sand shark and ACE250 for the wife
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:23:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

I think I have an old TANDY with 2 ,8 inch floppies in the attic, console  model almost as big as a ford focus.  What's the age thing we all get older then were gone..no choice in that.  Just try to make them scream on your way out....please turn off the lights.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25547.msg197658.html#msg197658

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:30:54 am by bubby-joe »
Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Any day detecting is better than a day at work
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 1100, Cen-tech pinpointer, Bounty Hunter 2200 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Bounty Hunter pinpointer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 07:27:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

I started out mon a radio shack with tape drive, went to 8088 with a whopping 640k mem,then to a 386 with a ten meg hd(woo-hoo!), then a 486 with dos 5.0 and the same ten meg drive,then pentium 1, etc.  Gosh now I feel old!  Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25547.msg197671.html#msg197671

WB4RAV

Offline Gozzo
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Gold, Whites GMT GoldMaster E - Series, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Grand Master Hunter cx11 (dead ), Garrett Ace 350  , Cen- Tech Hand Held
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:44:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Mine was a phillips something or other then the incredible vic20 quit for a while after the 64 and then it wa san amstrad 464 followed by the 646, my dad used to say to people one day there will be computers in everyhome just like tv's i remember the laughter and scorn, wish he had lived to see whats around now he would be amazed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25547.msg212208.html#msg212208

Dig it, you know you WANT to.

Sorry this isn't that kind of Swingers club.

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: