[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Nightjar
Copper Member

He who never made a mistake never made a discovery
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

746.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Minelab GPX-4500
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 04:54:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Salvor6,
You have summed it up very well, maybe Alan will view his decision in the light of a new day.
Many people are followers and while they don't openly express their appreciation, the contributors should feel comfortable when their contributions do not raise the ire of members. In a sense that is an unwritten "Thankyou."

Peter 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11448.msg73596.html#msg73596

Auriferously
Nightjar

Offline Alan HassellTopic starter
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 05:42:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi guys for those that have made a post here thank you.. you know from the time were all born we all learn a few words, they might be mama, papa, please and thank you.  On the internet readers sometimes forget those words.
What you get for free is seldom appreciated and its only when you have to pay for something its treasured.
For years I have given my work freely and never expected anything for it. To me it was fun and a way of encouraging others to enter the hobby. But enough is enough. I belong to other forums not connected with m/d or t/hing and its common decency to thank someone for the time and effort they put into passing on their hard earned knowledge in order for others to learn.
I always maintained that once you do something and the fun goes out of it, its the time to quit and thats exactly what im doing with deep regret.  Yes it is a sad day for me too. Because there were many that did appreciate my efforts and say thanks thats little reward when you give so much. Common decency has gone out of the window and shame on those guests who have bought this to a head.
What they have done is deprived others from learning what it took years of dedicated work to achieve and put into writing words that meant the difference between success and failure.
You know when you sit down for a meal some people say grace, "for what we are about to recieve we are truly thankfull".
Knowledge is something everyone wants and those two words can mean so much to the writer.
Enough is enough too little too late. The funs gone and so will I too at the end of the month.
For those that enjoyed my work thank you I enjoyed sharing it with you.  I will be leaving some of my work behind most of the water material is going if i have not already destroyed it.  I dont want any good byes so im going to lock this thread.
Years ago when i was a kid someone said to me, "if you cant buy flowers for someone when they are alive dont buy them when they are dead."  The next day  that person was dead and it was too late.
There are many great individuals on this site that make this site possible for their continued contributions that take time to research and write about so people can enjoy the fruits of their efforts.
The next time anyone reads something that someones posted on here spare a moments thought for that person and at least have the common decency of thanking him or her.
Without contributors this site wouldnt be what it is today.  Today is a sad one for me but thats my choice nothing is going to make me change my mind. Good luck to you all and happy hunting its been good while it lasted.  alan hasssell

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11448.msg73598.html#msg73598

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 07:15:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Allan

Please read this post from a tired broken down ghost of man who has made more mistakes he cares to admit in years of chasing fortune and glory. slogging the poor mans dream.

I hope you will re-consider as I really enjoyed your posts and in some respect I myself understand your frustration as Cornelius and others experienced it in some of their postings. Some of the subjects you and I and others have posted can be a little daunting to those who just swing detector on a Sunday for fun. Who have very little knowledge of world history. I can understand your frustration when you want to debate your posting at a higher level and finding out it is some times empty one sided conversation.

It is easy to feel why bother?

3 times I have been through that and have walked away from a project I have put a good part of my life into.

There is no benefit to my own research on the project I am working at this website. But  I still Contribute some of my time posting treasure stories etc... Because I am part of an generation and era that is slowly entering the shadows of history. And I believe we have some thing to contribute as pass on to the next generation of treasure hunters even if I have no thanks for it. I learned many years ago learned the treasure hunting game is a always thankless one.

Forget the flyby nighters and dreamers. they will always come and go. And their ignorance will always as be their downfall. I contribute here subjects freely and if it inspires just one person to become a better historian, researcher or treasure hunter.

Then it makes all the years of toil not so fruitless.

It would be a great shame to lose your knowledgeable insight into British History. I have really learned a lot from your posts and it has forced me to read up and reevaluate pre conceived notions on the dark ages and Welsh history.For that I thank you for the thought provoking posts.

Your parting will be a great loss to this very young and truly internationally promising  website and you will be truly missed.

I bid you farewell in the words of the Brethren of the code.

"Exsisto verus ut unus ego."

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11448.msg73617.html#msg73617

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 07:56:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Allan,

In life there are always things to be ungrateful but also a lot of ungrateful people. What to say and do to change this, unfortunately, not much.

There will always be opportunists, scavengers as you say so. But do you think that it is necessary for this stripe of some gum work done, because this work will feed the knowledge base of those that made you read and appreciated.

I ask you to reconsider your decision, the fact for those who appreciate your writing and your work.

Regards

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11448.msg73623.html#msg73623

Lucky Luc

Offline Out4gold
It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Bronze Member

It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2835.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 08:47:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Allen,
I confess that I have been ignorant about a lot of things. But ignorance can be taught away.
You have opened the eyes of a lot of people and now you have decided to shut off the enlightenment of the TRUTH about what you know.
I am a Texan and an American and have a love of the truth.
I will say this, your truth will always be with me.
I will say thank you for letting us know how you feel and why you are leaving, and "thank you" for being an internet friend.
If you reconsider, I'm sure there will be others who have not responded favorably, that will now, although it may be too little too late. You have given us so much. Damn this sounds like an obituary.
I have only been here for a few short months, on thunting, but you have shown me so much and gave me something to think about when I think of "THE DARK AGES" .
Long live Britain and the United States of America.

Out4gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11448.msg73641.html#msg73641

Out4gold
AKA:Bone2stone

Offline CANI
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

545.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

TESORO, GARRETT, BOUNTY HUNTER
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 11:03:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Mr. Hassell, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and articles.I am totally guilty of taking what you have given so freely and using your knowledge, that which has been gained through years and years of hard work experience and research for my own personal goals, All the while neglecting to do something that i have tried so hard to instill in my own children. The simple act of saying two small words that when used together show a real appreciation and a true respect of others efforts. Mr. Hassell i have never been accused of being the "brightest bulb on the tree" and now after reading your post my ignorance is shining brighter than ever, now i could go on about how "I" am sorry and "I" regret and "I" feel bad, but that would all be about me. Mr. Hassell  you will be truly missed if you so choose to leave this forum, but i would like you to know that of all of the things i have learned from your years of hard work and research the most important thing you have passed on to me is that one must always be aware of others and show them your appreciation when due, for this Mr. Hassell "I" am truly thankfull

THANK YOU MR. HASSELL

RESPECTIVELY, THE CANNIBAL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11448.msg73678.html#msg73678

THANKS, CANI

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 11:19:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Alan, I'll really miss you.  Even when the topic was about a place I'd never visit or a kind of hunting I'd probably never do, you always had a tip or two in there that I could apply to my own hunting and life.

Thanks for teaching me more in 6 months than I've learned in several years of reading magazines.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11448.msg73680.html#msg73680

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 11:59:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Alan I have nothing but respect for you. That being said you have posted for the wrong reason. You want people to bow down and say O Alan you so great THANK YOU THANK YOU you need your ego boosted every day. You should have posted to help and inform members and help build the forum, not boost your ego. There are others that feel the same way but will not say so, me I don't give a rat's butt what you are anyone thinks about me,mines in the bank. I read every post every day and reply to 10% and I am not going to tell you are anyone thank you to boost ego's I will thank people who post to help others and help build the forum. Sorry but thats how I feel and if you stay I will not read any more of your post.

Seldom

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11448.msg73694.html#msg73694

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 12:16:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Alan,

even if you never post another article I hope you will stay on. A person can never have too many friends even if they are e-friends. At least pop in to visit now and again and laugh at our bumbling efforts without your guidance  Smiley

I have to agree with Hardluck, most of my friends get that deer in the headlights look when we talk about history. It's the same thing here, you have spent years researching, I and others have to play catchup. Problem is I love it all so I can't keep up. There are several great posts I am still reading and trying to digest. So much great history and legend in your part of the world.  

Whatever you decide, it's been fun. I wish you well and good hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11448.msg73696.html#msg73696

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This seems to be sort of a "self-crucifixion" type of thread, and as hard as I've tried to stay out of it, I just can't. 

Alan, for all of the articles you've place on this site are Top Notch.  That is for certain.  But you shouldn't get depressed because only a few people who hit your articles comment on them.  We all have a different reasoning behind being on thunting.com, and while your articles are informative, not all of them will be stimulating to everybody.    If I don't say "thank you", it's because I probably didn't even read it.  I most certainly clicked on the link as a new post, and scanned the first few sentences, then clicked out of the thread without even reading any responses.  This has NOTHING to do with whether or not the article was written in an articulate manner, or whether the information was accurate, factual, or thoroughly researched for the subject at hand, it just means that the topic was not something that I was interested in so I didn't bother to read it.  Again, this is not an indictment of your writing skills, just a statement that the diversity of the members of this site means that not everybody is going to be interested in the things any one of us writes about. 

If you want to run away because you don't receive accolades from every person on the board for every article you write, then run away.  Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.  If you want to write the articles for the love of writing them, then realize that they are appreciated by the people who are interested in the topics you are writing on, and ignored by the people that aren't interested in those topics.  You can run away from this venue and write a book instead as a way to try to try to redeem yourself from the injustice that has been dealt to you by people not saying thank you for your writings here, but you'll only feel just as persecuted when only the people who are interested in the topic buy the book.

So kick back, think about it, take a deep breath and settle down.  If one person out of 50 has something good to say about an article you wrote, that's not bad.  If you wrote a book and one person out of 50 who heard about it bought it, you'd be a VERY rich man.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11448.msg73716.html#msg73716

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.