[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge RunnerTopic starter
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:12:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Folks,, It was detector Playtime here at my house today, And it got me thinking about the Claim that PI machines do not Air Test Well, So I grabbed the Two Likely Suspects and Testing Begun With the VLF I only Had A 10"DD or A 15" Concentric and the PI was wearing it's 12" Mono, Yeah I know Mono's Go Deeper and it was 12" and Bigger than the 10"DD, But That did not mean diddley, Coz the VLF with it's Lowly 10"DD Opened up a Can of Whoop Against the 12"Mono and the PI, Lord Knows what the result would of Been if I had A !2" Concentric For the VLF.

My View is that In Mild to Medium Ground is the VLF is going to Whoop any PI when Matched with similar Sized Coils, I read that Someone had found A 1ozt Nugget at 18" with A VLF,
I don't believe That PI Machines can see deeper in the Ground than In Air, UNLESS there is some kind of Leaching effect from metals Like Copper and Iron where as Gold and Silver do not Assist us In or search for the Holy Grail of Deep Nuggets and Silver,

In Mild Ground I am Sure that Machines Like the MXT fitted with the 12" Concentric Coil will Even Beat Machines Like the GPX-5000 on Depth, I know Air Tests Are Not Factual But Air is thinner than Soil So therefore It displays what Can Be achieved in A Perfect World, Although we do not Live in such A Place. Finding Deep Copper Coins with either machine would be quite easy because of the Halo / Leaching Effect, But To my way of thinking Air is easier to see through than minerals and Mud hence why I don't believe that PI's See deeper in the Ground,

So what are your Views, either from field use to from the Tech side of things,

Thank you,, HH

RR

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60736.msg300083.html#msg300083

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:18:24 am by Ridge Runner »
Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 44.0.2403.130
Chrome 44.0.2403.130

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:28:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

The thing with a PI machine is that you have a very slow pulse rate, for example a machine with a 1m * 1m coil runs at about 90 PPS(90hz), have you heard cars go by at a distance with loud music? and all you heard was the base drum? well the frequency is low and therefor travel much further, the same goes with the PI machine but the problem is that non ferrous metals have a very fast decay time and especially gold, this is where the VLF machine has an advantage with it's frequency of lets say 18Khz making it 200 times faster than the PI machine. By having this fast frequency the non ferrous metal gets charged with eddy currents many more times per second and this gives the receiver coil a chance to see the eddy currents coming from the non ferrous metal. A problem with a PI machine is the amount of magnetic field you are sending into the ground at each pulse, this is why we have an off time to let the field dissipate it's self into the ground otherwise you would get the field bounce into the receiver coil and your detector would be screaming at you all the time. So should you want the PI machine to run at a faster PPS you will need to reduce the amount of power, this will allow you to reduce the off time and the eddy currents to be picked up by the receiver coil, another thing to keep in mind is that the object in the ground gets a much higher charge from the PI machine so you end up with a stronger eddy current. You need to remember that a VLF machine has a coil that has been null'd and the eddy currents make it's null change but the PI machine simply waits for the returned eddy currents to come to the coil. If you test a machine PI or VLF in air you will not get the distance that the machine will see the object in the ground because of the halo effect that you get with the ground and also the humidity, iron rusts and dissipates it's self into the ground making it easy for the detector to pic it up and other metals like copper oxidize. Gold dose nothing making it hard to detect so the faster the PPS of frequency the better and I should think that an air test would be very close to when you find it in the ground.              

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60736.msg300088.html#msg300088

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Lord Dracon
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Chrome 44.0.2403.133
Chrome 44.0.2403.133

Awards

Dario MD-3006SS VLF / SURF 1.2 PI (WIP) / Garrett Ace 300i
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:33:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting topic, I wonder if underwater makes any difference .... you can see through that  Smiley for your tests. Water is denser than air and the ground that we sometimes dig is damp. just a thought  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60736.msg300090.html#msg300090

Keep searching ... you might just find it.

Happy Hunting Detecting

Online GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 39.0
Firefox 39.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 06:37:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ah, Xavier, my Grasshopper, you have learned well.

The other reason is that soil is irrelevant to a PI machine since the particulate size of oxides and leached metals is so small. With a VLF/TR machine those bits actually attenuate the signal - they absorb part of it. Those masses of particles can also completely hide a larger target below it. But the PI shines in that kind of environment. The fact that the eddy currents only travel on the surface of an object means they have to travel on the surface of those particles and they simply cannot. Not enough mass. The VLF/TR signal is different and during the on/off time the signal is transmitted directly into that mass of particles and doesn't even try to magnetize them. They are far too small but they DO transmit the signal from particle to particle making an effective mask which we cannot see through. That's in the all metal mode.

In discriminate mode, they can penetrate the mass of oxides to a limited degree but the signal that gets through is much weaker. Remember, the receiver is working harder, not the transmitter. The receiver is the reason that discriminate works because the return signal is filtered out by the circuitry inside. That filtering also has the effect of making the item appear to have a weaker return and this can cause your machine to miss an object or two.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60736.msg300091.html#msg300091

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 06:50:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by xavier
The thing with a PI machine is that you have a very slow pulse rate, for example a machine with a 1m * 1m coil runs at about 90 PPS(90hz), have you heard cars go by at a distance with loud music? and all you heard was the base drum? well the frequency is low and therefor travel much further, the same goes with the PI machine but the problem is that non ferrous metals have a very fast decay time and especially gold, this is where the VLF machine has an advantage with it's frequency of lets say 18Khz making it 200 times faster than the PI machine. By having this fast frequency the non ferrous metal gets charged with eddy currents many more times per second and this gives the receiver coil a chance to see the eddy currents coming from the non ferrous metal. A problem with a PI machine is the amount of magnetic field you are sending into the ground at each pulse, this is why we have an off time to let the field dissipate it's self into the ground otherwise you would get the field bounce into the receiver coil and your detector would be screaming at you all the time. So should you want the PI machine to run at a faster PPS you will need to reduce the amount of power, this will allow you to reduce the off time and the eddy currents to be picked up by the receiver coil, another thing to keep in mind is that the object in the ground gets a much higher charge from the PI machine so you end up with a stronger eddy current. You need to remember that a VLF machine has a coil that has been null'd and the eddy currents make it's null change but the PI machine simply waits for the returned eddy currents to come to the coil. If you test a machine PI or VLF in air you will not get the distance that the machine will see the object in the ground because of the halo effect that you get with the ground and also the humidity, iron rusts and dissipates it's self into the ground making it easy for the detector to pic it up and other metals like copper oxidize. Gold dose nothing making it hard to detect so the faster the PPS of frequency the better and I should think that an air test would be very close to when you find it in the ground.              

So If my VLF see's an Item at 48" and the PI see's it at 36" In The Air which will be Deeper,

Posted on: August 13, 2015, 06:41:30 am
Quote:Posted by Lord Dracon
Interesting topic, I wonder if underwater makes any difference .... you can see through that  Smiley for your tests. Water is denser than air and the ground that we sometimes dig is damp. just a thought  Smiley

Damp Ground Assists VLF Machines and can boost depth up to 30% or more, yet Wet Ground can Upset A PI Machine, And Detecting after Lightening storms can Boost the Depth,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60736.msg300096.html#msg300096

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:52:10 am by Ridge Runner »
Online GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 39.0
Firefox 39.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 06:58:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Like soil, water is mostly invisible to a PI machine including salt water. A VLF/TR on the other hand will have its signal pretty mangled in salt water mostly due to mineralization in the water. Salt is very corrosive and metal bits are universally spread throughout the water in suspension.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60736.msg300097.html#msg300097

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Lord Dracon
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Chrome 44.0.2403.133
Chrome 44.0.2403.133

Awards

Dario MD-3006SS VLF / SURF 1.2 PI (WIP) / Garrett Ace 300i
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:01:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

:-  :-  :-  OK RR now I'm getting confused, if wet ground can upset a PI machine, why are they supposedly better for beaches? is it the salt water or is it the mineralisation the PI ignores to an extent? (Sorry I'm assuming alot of questions recently, as homie shook up what I thought to be correct hence doing my research  Cool )

Posted on: August 13, 2015, 07:00:08 am
:-  :-  :-  OK RR now I'm getting confused, if wet ground can upset a PI machine, why are they supposedly better for beaches? is it the salt water or is it the mineralisation the PI ignores to an extent? (Sorry I'm assuming alot of questions recently, as homie shook up what I thought to be correct hence doing my research  Cool )

thanks golddigger you answered my question  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60736.msg300099.html#msg300099

Keep searching ... you might just find it.

Happy Hunting Detecting

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 07:10:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Ah, Xavier, my Grasshopper, you have learned well.

The other reason is that soil is irrelevant to a PI machine since the particulate size of oxides and leached metals is so small. With a VLF/TR machine those bits actually attenuate the signal - they absorb part of it. Those masses of particles can also completely hide a larger target below it. But the PI shines in that kind of environment. The fact that the eddy currents only travel on the surface of an object means they have to travel on the surface of those particles and they simply cannot. Not enough mass. The VLF/TR signal is different and during the on/off time the signal is transmitted directly into that mass of particles and doesn't even try to magnetize them. They are far too small but they DO transmit the signal from particle to particle making an effective mask which we cannot see through. That's in the all metal mode.

In discriminate mode, they can penetrate the mass of oxides to a limited degree but the signal that gets through is much weaker. Remember, the receiver is working harder, not the transmitter. The receiver is the reason that discriminate works because the return signal is filtered out by the circuitry inside. That filtering also has the effect of making the item appear to have a weaker return and this can cause your machine to miss an object or two.

So in Normal type soils which would be deeper because if the PI Air Tests A Coin at 16 inches and the VLF See's it At 22 inches, In Mild Ground would the VLF see deeper??

Posted on: August 13, 2015, 07:06:43 am

Posted on: August 13, 2015, 07:00:08 am
thanks golddigger you answered my question  Smiley

This is One thing that I have doubts in Because A lot of people on Another forum Claim that Their PI's Go Nuts in Wet Clay type ground and that the signal bounces Back causing the machine to make false signals, I thought that they should ignore it too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60736.msg300101.html#msg300101

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 39.0
Firefox 39.0

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 07:24:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Some Clay has High Mineral / Matalic content.  When Wet all those Ions, Particals are seen as ONE item.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60736.msg300102.html#msg300102

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 07:42:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
  Some Clay has High Mineral / Matalic content.  When Wet all those Ions, Particals are seen as ONE item.

Thanks Homie, Yes that was the issues I was talking about, and because it see's it as one lump it signals like it has found something, In OZ even when the ground is Dry most places out in the Bush will give a Ground reading as high as the meter Goes, yet to can still ground balance it out the Nuggets have to be almost A Couple of Grains in weight for a VLF to be to see them, But I still am not convinced about that, because if the Machine can Balance out the Ground then it should not have an effect,t which is why we Ground Balance the machine in the first place.

If a VLF Is Ground Balanced so the ground is supposed to be Invisible yet if they cant see very deep even though it has been GB'd then something else is going on that needs to be eliminated,  which seems to be missing on VLF machines,

Thanks Mate,, RR

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60736.msg300103.html#msg300103

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: