[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377Topic starter
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Arizona lost nineteen elite "hotshot" firefighters yesterday evening fighting the Yarnell Hill fire.  All but one of the nineteen was from the same firefighting team...The Granite Mountain Hotshots of Prescott, Arizona.   One member of that team survived because he was not with the others.   The fire is still 0% contained and now covers over 8,000 acres.
      Hotshots are the specially trained firefighters the form the frontline fighters when it comes to forest fires and other wilderness fires.   This is the largest number of US wildfire firefighters killed in the line of duty in a single day/event since 29 were killed in Los Angeles Griffith Park in 1933.
      To give non-Arizonans a perspective on why I would post this on a Treasure Hunting website,  the town of Yarnell (which is now over half destroyed by the same fire), stands on the edge of a huge cliff over looking Fool's Gulch (yeah, the one with the safe that washed away in the flood that wiped out Wickenburg), and the mining ghost towns of Rich Hill, Stanton, Octave, and Congress.   It was situated on what was the main stage and automobile route for over 100 years between Tucson, Phoenix, Wickenburg, Yuma, and southern California and the towns of northern Arizona such as Prescott (long time territorial capital) and Flagstaff.   The stage route through Yarnell passed by Skull Valley and several other sites made famous in Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey novels.

BA

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47397.msg260856.html#msg260856

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 12:47:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Shit that's not good BA not good at all.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47397.msg260857.html#msg260857

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:19:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, the first I knew about the fire was when the wife and I were getting ready to drive home from Prescott.    A friend of hers knows that we usually come back by way of Yarnell because of the history and the view and call to tell us not to since the road was closed.    Which was fine, we were already planning on taking the faster Interstate highway as it was late and a storm (probably the same one responsible for the quirky winds that killed the crew) had dumped a lot of rain on Prescott.   The road down from Yarnell is NOT one you choose to drive in less than ideal conditions unless you have to.   It was only a couple of hours after we got home that we heard about the firefighters.
   I'm not sure whether it was the same storm, since Arizona monsoons are kind of strange, but assuming it was, while the storm was centered on Prescott, it was a good and welcome thing....provided much needed moisture and dropped the temperatures about 35 F....but once it moved on, the results weren't so good.   Too bad it had dumped it's rain by the time it got to Yarnell or it probably would have had a happy ending instead of a deadly one.    The winds associated with the storm were very strong and very erratic which caused the fire to change directions and essentially surround and overcome the firefighters.   They all had personal fire resistant shelters which they were all able to deploy---but the shelters did them no good in this case since several of them were found inside their shelter.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47397.msg260860.html#msg260860

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:42:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes, it's a very sad day for Arizona and firefighters everywhere.  Here in La Grande, Oregon  we have a lot of firefighters and firefighting aircraft out of our local airport, and I think everyone around here knows some of the firefighters.   Your loss is felt heavily in our community also.  A lot of people here are involved in the profession.

May God be with all the families and friends of the lost firefighters in Arizona.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47397.msg260866.html#msg260866

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:48:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BA, a truly sad day. Tragic for the families of the firefighters and tragic for the people of Yarnell.

Here in Florida we are setting ourselves up for a tragedy not unlike that. It has been a lot wetter here over the last decade and fires are easier to supress so we haven't had fires to burn off the underbrush and it just keeps building up. I was in the Withlacoochee State Forrest 3 weeks ago and the understory growth (shrubs) has reached over half the height of the 70 foot pines.   This coupled with semi-urban development which is being built out into wild areas makes a dangerous situation. The state of Florida has cut back on funds to do controlled burns and fire lane construction and they have shut down almost all fire towers. I predict in the next extended dry period, Florida will have deadly wildfires...Gambol said this... The problem here is not dry weather which will surely come, The problem is housing development in places that are vulnerable.  Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47397.msg260883.html#msg260883

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 05:34:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I remember the 1998 Florida wildfires....you're right---lot's of fuel, a long drought, and people moving into areas they shouldn't be in (at least not in the numbers they are going there) and you have a recipe for disaster.   
      The Yarnell Hill fire is in an area that has not had a major fire for 40 years---meaning a lot of dried chapparal and grass just waiting to burn.   Between the droughts and the high, erratic winds, the fire managed to jump in size from 200 acres to over 2,000 acres in just a few hours (around the period the crew died) yesterday.   By the end of the day, it had grown to over 6,000 acres.   This morning found it setting at over 8,000 acres.   I have no idea what it is at now, but the winds have not been favorable to fighting the fire.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47397.msg260886.html#msg260886

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:55:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cry Very tragic news , condolences to the families and friends of these Brave people who put them selves in harms way on the frontline . Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47397.msg260896.html#msg260896

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:52:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

When I was young, I was a volunteer fireman. The first time I attended a forest fire, I was absolutely in awe of its power. My deepest sympathy and condolences to the families and to all the people of Arizona who mourn their fallen heroes.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47397.msg260897.html#msg260897

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 11:25:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Bad New for All.   Half of the Western States have major fires about now.  One minute your safe and doing your thing and the wind changes a bit and your in Deep Trouble.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47397.msg260904.html#msg260904

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 08:59:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
When I was young, I was a volunteer fireman

Same here GD. Was on volunteer forest fire crew at Mont Alto Penn State Forestry School. Sometimes I had to carry an Indian pump. I drank more water than I shot on the fires. Take a ridge rake any day over that #$#$ pump. That tank was heavy and your arms felt like they were going to fall off pumping the trombone....

My condolences to the families, coworkers, and friends of the Prescott Hot Shot Crew. Those people are the elite of the best damn forest fire fighters anywhere.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47397.msg260912.html#msg260912

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: