[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ViracochaTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:40:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

I know that a few manufacturers and sellers of MDs are going to be a little upset with me about the info I am going to put into cyber space, but I would like to lif the fog of the mystery of frequency, coils and everything in life!

Yes I know this is a bold statement but it's true.

First we must understand frequency and why it does what it does.  If you want an in depth easy paper on the subject, her is the link

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html

We will also be discussing police cars and red and blue lights!... Yes I know this is strange, but it will make better sense later on.  I have also listed a chart of thermal and electrical conductivity which is going to be invaluable later on.

OK lets first talk about frequency and police lights.... oops gotta go will be back, this one is gong to be long!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36962.msg227265.html#msg227265

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Conductivity.jpg

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:31:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I wish we had A Electronic Theory Section for this one.

This one is going to go wild or be fun.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36962.msg227277.html#msg227277

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:14:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well I'm all ears and eyes

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36962.msg227305.html#msg227305

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Okay!  I'm waiting for the rest of the lesson!         Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36962.msg227312.html#msg227312

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:24:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK here we go ... until my wife gets back and I have to go out to help her.  Alright so I was talking about police lights.  Interesting that they pick both blue and red, opposite ends of the spectrum..... why?  well it has to do with wave length.  Red you see has a  lower frequency and a longer wavelength.  Blue has a higher frequency and a shorter wavelength.  from a distance say a few km.. or one mile, all you see is a bright red light as you approach an accident scene.  But when you get close you see mainly blue light and just a faint red.  Here is the reason.  Red has a longer wavelength and can travel around dust particles in the air and reach your eyes.  Blue on the other hand has a shorter wavelength and gets bounced off dust and gas particles  so it floods the immediate area and over powers the red light because it does not get bounced around as much.  So close to the scene you see prodominately blue and from a distance you see more red.

As per the link listed above about why the sky is blue... you should read it its interesting. 

So you ask why should it or how does it pertain to metal detecting.. here we go!

Here is the old adage most of us agree on:  Lower frequency is better for higher conductive metals like silver and copper.  Higher frequency is better for lower conductive materials like "Gold"

Why?

Ok step two:  Understanding  Phase Response.. the Rosetta stone of metal detecting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36962.msg227319.html#msg227319

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:04:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

PHASE RESPONSE - The duration of time between target surface eddy current generation and resultant secondary electromagnetic field effect on the search coil's receive windings. Also called phase lag or phase angle and is directly related to target conductivity.  Ok in other words.... when your tx coil creates a parabolic bowl of electromagnetic detection field and it induces an eddy current on say a weatie.

For anyone who I have lost.. look up the theory of Induction to understand the process
ps look at a test of eddy currents on a flat coin vs a ring... interesting.

Anyways.. so here we are creating a series of eddy currents from the sine.. sorry modified block wave for you v3 guys.. the phase response can change based on the conductivity of the metal on which the eddy current. Up to 180 degrees if the metal is a perfect conductivity.  Pure silver is pretty close.  So your filter and processor on your MD recognizes this phase change as a characteristic of silver and alerts the user of the pending silver that could be buried 8 inches in the soil.

oh gotta take a break.. brain hurting.. oh sorry that is my gut.. Mmm food!

Posted on: July 02, 2012, 08:06:05 PM
So now how do police lights meld with metal detecting...

easy.. remember what I was talking about wavelength and red an blue lights... OK here we go with the elementary my dear Watson.  Lower frequency like that of say 5kHz has a wavelength long enough that it allows it to travel around the matrix of the soil.. very much like that of the red light and particles in the air.  So silver is then charged with an eddy current which then sends a phase shift of the original frequency back to be detected and because it is a longer wavelength it can make it back..  So why do you ask why not gold a greater depths.. ok look at the chart of conductivity.. you have to make the signal back in order to detect it.. silver is highly conductive and can create an eddy current easily... Gold.. not so much.  So as the frequency can charge the metal and induce it with an eddy current, the silver is the only one that has enough power in the eddy current to send it back at great depths because of it's higher conductivity rating.

ok now for the gold issue.. why is it detected easily with higher frequency.. say 22kHz and not so much as the 5kHz especially small gold..  well not a great depths but at least4-5 inches or small nuggets on or close to the surface.  Remember at the scene of the crime?.. mostly blue light.. because of the reflection refraction and dispersal of the higher frequency being bounced around.  (More chances of the target being hit if its bouncing around a shallow detection pool produced by a higher frequency field. ) More chance of eddy currents being generated because of the greater saturation of the magnetic field at that frequency.  The red light/ lower frequency energizes the small gold nugget less because most of it runs right around the object and goes right past it... A big gold piece it can find because there is enough surface area to energize.. but the gold backing of a diamond stud earring.... right on by!

Now that you know this... The truth about coils and what the manufacturers are not telling you...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36962.msg227326.html#msg227326

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:56:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes-s-s-s!  Do go on.  Please!                           Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36962.msg227333.html#msg227333

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 12:41:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

OK lets start with Orthogonal coil (Garrett two box detector comes to mind).. but lets first start off with the theory of Induction Balance both mechanical and electrical  Cheese n Rice it's 1030pm.. I gotta go to bed.. I will continue tomorrow.

J.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36962.msg227338.html#msg227338

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 12:43:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

We will be here.   LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36962.msg227339.html#msg227339

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 03:55:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
We will be here.

Yep you can count on that. So what's the time there by you are you up yet LOL This is like watching your favourite TV show 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36962.msg227352.html#msg227352

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: