[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge RunnerTopic starter
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 03, 2012, 02:29:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's that time of year again when some of us have to put away our detectors coz the snow is soooo deep that you cant even reach the dirt let alone get a signal,

So what do you folks do to keep warm, weather you're Hunting, Ice Fishing or just walking the Dog, Or even sneaking out of the mother in laws when you've had to take the wife and kids there for a visit.

dont be shy, I Promise I wont tell ya Mrs

AU

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38336.msg236280.html#msg236280

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:45:23 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 02:32:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Research, research and more research. Getting ready for every new year or, more succinctly, every new Spring.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38336.msg236284.html#msg236284

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 02:40:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ahhrr, So thats where i've been going wrong, your research is what gives you the edge

No wonder i'm not finding too much I'd forgot about that bit,

Thanks for the wake-up call

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38336.msg236287.html#msg236287

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 03:01:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just yesterday, the state police were running through the woods on my property with police dogs looking for an escaped parole violator. As far as I know, they didn't catch him so whatever he was up to on my land (or not up to) may still be there next spring. Only time will tell. I'll be watching to see if I can tell why he was running and from whom.

I also had a request for research to be done on a bog that the locals are up in arms over. Seems a poor fellow wants to use his barn for something that may impact the bog. The locals were screaming about the bog being saved because it's not replaceable. Turns out (in my research), I discovered that the bog was accidentally created in 1932 when a local farmer, who used the space where the bog is now, to dump machinery. Over time, the earth got filled with rusting metal, oil, paint and other petroleum products. He went in with a bulldozer and a backhoe in 1932 and scraped down about 12 feet to clear all the debris. Before he could refill the spot, the water table took over and filled the area. He was in the process of filling the hole (acres of it) when his machine got bogged down and had to be dragged out. The cost to fill it was so great that he decided to leave it as a newly created watershed area, now known as "The Bog." Well, I presented this at a local planning and zoning meeting and was later contacted about my sources by the town. I freely gave them the information and they promptly removed the protected status from this bog making the land available to the owner for his own use. He now has a permit to fill his bog and turn it into a parking lot for his new business.

All's well that ends well, I always say. And I have a new friend in town. I had asked him to hunt his property which dates back to the land grant days of the early 1600s and handed him my calling card which identifies me as a historical researcher. He immediately asked me to help him with his land use by identifying what I found there and trying to date the land and its use more precisely over the centuries of occupation. Turns out the local historical society has it all wrong. That land called a bog was not natural at all.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38336.msg236291.html#msg236291

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:04:09 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 03:20:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks GD, thats a great story with an even better ending, with a new friend and unlimited possibilites of yesteryear, the land grant days was a time when people from all over the globe came to settle in the US and even my mind is running wild of what the history might be, let alone what you might find, and although you have not done any searching there yet?, It just goe's to show how important research is, not just for our Hobby but how it can save the day in our everyday live's

GD, please do a follow up if and when you manage to spend a few hours there, with just one turn of the spade you just might change history.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38336.msg236295.html#msg236295

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:28:21 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
Thanks GD, thats a great story with an even better ending, with a new friend and unlimited possibilites of yesteryear, the land grant days was a time when people from all over the globe came to settle in the US and even my mind is running wild of what the history might be, let alone what you might find, and although you have not done any searching there yet?, It just goe's to show how important research is, not just for our Hobby but how it can save the day in our everyday live's

I have searched the property and have mapped out a century by century use map for the owner with lots of relics and dozens of coins dated from the 1500s to modern coins. As you might note, I normally stay pretty closed lip about my finds because some of them might attract the wrong kind of attention. Been that way all my life and don't really see any need to change since it works for me. Around a campfire is a different story but here, too many strangers read these pages. The forum owner WANTS the attention for good reason and I don't for my own good reasons.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38336.msg236300.html#msg236300

Let's Talk Treasure!

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 04:35:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes GD, you are totally right, I'd be happy with just the stories just like this one. The Facts are personal and should remain So,

where i am living I have found a very large WWII air raid shelther that even the residents did'nt know was there and we had to pump it out coz it was so fill of water that took a few hours, there was nothing down there but it gave me something to do as winter finds it's way to my front door.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38336.msg236301.html#msg236301

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 05:24:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dang!   Down here in the Desert that's when things start to happen.

You can't breath out there when it's that hot.

Your Truck Breaks Down Your Dead.

Now it's just getting do able.

Under 6,000Ft and your good to go.

We have two months to hit it and hit it hard.

Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38336.msg236304.html#msg236304

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 05:39:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homie, ours break down in the cold and aprt from frost the rain holds us up,

When you say about going above 6000ft does it get hotter then

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38336.msg236305.html#msg236305

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 05:41:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
As you might note, I normally stay pretty closed lip about my finds because some of them might attract the wrong kind of attention.

Because we old school LOL  But its good advice play your cards close to the vest and let few know what your up to.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38336.msg236306.html#msg236306

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: