[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline sammygirlTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

560.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Prizm II
« on: November 29, 2009, 08:08:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Question, what is the best way to clean your coins? What methods do you use and how well does it work? I mainly am trying to find the best way to clean copper without damaging the coin. But would love to hear how you clean your finds. Grin

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg60444.html#msg60444

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 02:31:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

For spendable, modern coinage, I use a vibrating tumbler used for cleaning brass casings before they are reloaded. Walnut shell grit with rouge in it works good but the coins have an "other worldly" look about them. They shine but not like from the mint. It makes them spendable as change.

For older coins, I leave them unless they are caked with dirt and then I use an old toothbrush to clean them. I use a few drops of dishwashing detergent and a teaspoon of vinegar in around two cups of water as a soak. Let them go overnight and brush them in the morning after dipping your brush in olive oil. The olive oil dip keeps the bristles from being too much of an issue gathering grit. The oil on the brush keeps the dirt from clogging it.

In the downloads area there is an article posted about using an old wall cube power supply for reverse plating. In a nutshell, you use an old piece of copper or steel pipe as the gathering electrode and the coin as the plating electrode. They recommend salted water but I use the same solution I use for soaking. The crusty, welded on corrosion comes off in an hour or so. Do this process outdoors because it releases hydrogen gas which can become explosive in enclosed areas. A back porch is better than a kitchen for this one. Each coin has to be done individually so this is a special treatment.

For the modern, clad coinage like quarters, vending machines and parking meters make good "cleaners" since they don't care how dirty the coins are. Banks also exchange dirty, chipped or cut coins.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg60515.html#msg60515

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline sammygirlTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

560.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Prizm II
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:05:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you GoldDigger, this is very helpful! I haven't tried the baby oil on the brush, nor a tumbler. I will have to check the net for that one. I appreciate your input!  Kiss

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg60615.html#msg60615

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 08:23:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by sammygirl
Question, what is the best way to clean your coins? What methods do you use and how well does it work? I mainly am trying to find the best way to clean copper without damaging the coin. But would love to hear how you clean your finds. Grin

I've used the vinegar and soap solution as GD stated, it works pretty good. If you have what may be a valuable coin you might not want to do that or ask again for additional advice.. Have a good hunt.
John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg60619.html#msg60619

Johnlaw

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GP Extreme  / Bounty Hunter/Minelab ETrac
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:01:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ive tried all thoes things , the coppers clean up fairley well but their not in circulation over here now so you cant spend them , and the time you waste cleaning them costs more than the coin is worth except a couple of pre decimal pennies that are worth thousands , but you wouldnt attempt to clean them leave that to the experts , and dont mix the coppers with anything else especially nickle coins or you will send them  "nickles "pink .
                          Pickling the coppers work well and tumbling the silver and nickle work well . but it is not a 10 miniute job ,  I had heard that tumbling your coins with the plastic beads they use for plastic injecting moulding work pretty good , but I havent tried that yet ,on account I havent aquired any beads .

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg60675.html#msg60675

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:09:32 am by aussie »
Offline varmit
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:17:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

for modern copper coins i use a cup of water with vinager and salt added.  but old coins you want to be carefull of cleaning, if you take a shined coin to a collecter or shop the first thing they will say is why did you ruin it. cleaning by removing loose dirt with soft brush ok. chemicaly cleaning/polishing bad. have fun coin hunting!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg65878.html#msg65878

Offline CrazyCoinLady
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 06:16:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

OMG! You don't clean them! Soap & water to get off dirt is all. Tumblers & things with vibrations = bad.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg101083.html#msg101083

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 12:06:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by CrazyCoinLady
OMG! You don't clean them! Soap & water to get off dirt is all. Tumblers & things with vibrations = bad.

Most of us know the difference between modern, clad coinage and valuable coins. Both are cleaned differently but without any drama. Spending brown coins doesn't seem to please shopkeepers so cleaning them is a trick of the trade.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg101122.html#msg101122

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline CrazyCoinLady
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 05:26:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Actually a shop keeper should only care that they can read the date. Although on modern coins why bother?

The main reason I say don't is far to many time people do it and destroy a valuable coin. You might be surprised even some modern coins have some value.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg101840.html#msg101840

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 05:47:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by CrazyCoinLady
Actually a shop keeper should only care that they can read the date. Although on modern coins why bother?

The main reason I say don't is far to many time people do it and destroy a valuable coin. You might be surprised even some modern coins have some value.

Not if they're brown and nicked by a lawnmower. You are absolutely correct about silver coinage and most certainly gold.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg101843.html#msg101843

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: