[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bbwfwTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 26, 2010, 02:57:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have some questions on electroylsis. SO I use it to clean stuff but I am thinking some times it works better and I think some things may help it. For instance will it help to have a bigger item attached to the black or negative lead? Also is any particular metal preferable for the negative? I use a nail I have heard spoons, and rebar before. Is there a way not to totally destroy the item on the negative end? I have found shaking off junk from it seems to help make it last longer. Does it work better if the item is touching salt at the bottom it seems I have put a ton of salt some times and didnt get it mixed up and the item to clean with in a small bit of salt it seemed to work better, same thing when I first turn it on I sprinkle some salt and it seems to fizz more when salt is being sprinkled.
  Any sugestions to improve my process or warnings of anything I may be doing wrong. Dont worry I know not to let leads touch, and I know no to do it outside. I use a battery charger for my electricity. I would like to get one of those more powerful ones though I have a pretty standard 6-12 volt 5-10 amp one. Any other sugestions on how to make it more powerful would be nice too.
  One other thing I notice is seems if I leave it in for a little while then stop it I can break off junk with my nails or a towel pretty well and that works to clean it off faster. Any opion on this should I leave alone for long time or take breaks to clean? Another similar issue are the effects doubled or multiplied by leaving on longer? Like if I leave it for 10 minutes will it be better then letting it go for 5 then stopping to check in then doing it for 5 more minutes?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13872.msg87737.html#msg87737

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:39:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

You have one thing drastically wrong with your setup. Electron flow is from the negative to the positive so your find gets hooked to the negative and your positive is the sacrificial metal which should be fairly large in area but not necessarily in mass. If you hook it up the way you describe, you are plating the item with iron rather than removing corrosion.

You also might want to add a sand cast current limiting resistor to the circuit to keep the process very slow which avoids pitting of your valuable finds.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13872.msg88716.html#msg88716

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:15:44 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 12:11:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Actually I just wrote it the wrong way I wondering about that when I wrote. So its fine I am doing it right but maybe should take your other suggestion. I think it depends on what is being cleaned I normally clean ancient roman coins and that is a good point for those but other things doing fast may be fine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13872.msg88736.html#msg88736

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:17:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here's a hot tip for you. Rather than spend money on a sand cast resistor for current limiting, put a 12 volt light bulb in the circuit in series with the negative lead and it will limit the current for you and even dim when the electrolysis process is almost done. The reason it dims? Because there's more resistance in the solution when the oxidized material is all flaked off.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13872.msg88739.html#msg88739

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:22:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I get it. Though most the time I am wanting to know how to speed it up to get my stuff clean faster  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13872.msg88743.html#msg88743

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:02:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a new question about this... I have one of those motorcycle battery 'trickle' chargers that people use to keep it charged over the winter.. is that going to work, or do I have to get something else? I'm sorry I don't know the amps on it. I'm guessing though it would be a steady 12v.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13872.msg91478.html#msg91478

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3