[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 04:25:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by avision4u2liveby
Huh? I said.............but dont ever do a plated item. Unless you want to "unplate it".   I better stick to the item were talking about.  Grin  yep brass turns green like  copper.  Did I spelt that rite? Anyway.......I dont do much iron, but I change out my water often to help with the final cleanup of the piece. Especially if there is more than one type of metal in the solution. I'm not sure about that piece but different metals can stain each other. Copper can turn other metals pink. And its a bear to remove.....tumble some penny's with some nickles and see.  Grin

And this is why I said what I said. The only time copper will do that is during PLATING, not during electrolysis. No confusion on my part. The electrons are flowing the wrong way to stain anything. Your last post was quite unclear regarding the cleaning of iron and brass when you introduced an irrelevant discussion point in the same discussion with another irrelevant point. You'd have to do it a very long time to unplate something.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27643.msg196278.html#msg196278

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline zombieTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

131.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

jw fisher pulse 8x
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 10:36:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I dom't think it's plated. I am more worried about the iron staining the other metals.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27643.msg196342.html#msg196342

The philosophy of inevitable discovery, seek and ye shall find.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 06:54:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by zombie
I dom't think it's plated. I am more worried about the iron staining the other metals.

You're going to be using a sacrificial anode to remove the corrosion. That will be the only thing getting stained. The current flows from negative to positive taking the oxidation in ion form with it towards the anode. It removes any staining.

Look, the easy way to try all this out is to take an old brass key and a rusty nail and put them together into a solution using one alligator clip. Don't put the real item in until you are satisfied that the process won't hurt either metal. Keep the real deal in distilled water until you're ready to apply electrolysis to it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27643.msg196364.html#msg196364

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline zombieTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

131.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

jw fisher pulse 8x
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 08:25:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks GD that's a great idea.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27643.msg196369.html#msg196369

The philosophy of inevitable discovery, seek and ye shall find.

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: