[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CrazyCoinLady
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 06:22:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well, all copper turns either brown or green at some point. As for nicked by lawnmower. LOL, I need that for my collection. But in that poor of a shape it's just not worth cleaning either.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg101850.html#msg101850

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 05:07:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by CrazyCoinLady
Well, all copper turns either brown or green at some point. As for nicked by lawnmower. LOL, I need that for my collection. But in that poor of a shape it's just not worth cleaning either.

I get your point. I really do. Just take note that most of the readers here disagree with that assessment and DO clean their modern coins. Such is life.

I'm taking a wild guess but judging by your comments here you strike me as a very new beginner to coin hunting as we do it. Our coins sometimes emerge as unrecognizable lumps in clumpy soil which have to be washed just to identify them, never mind evaluate them. Sometimes from water they are so encrusted with coral and verdigris that they are just thick white or green disks in our finds pouch.

We learn how to clean them the same way that archaeologists clean them. We also learn how to preserve the more fragile of our finds. We do this by sharing information on how to do these things. In days gone by, we did it by writing books or magazine articles on the subject. Today we have forums like this one. The beginners are always told to take heed and be careful of damaging coins. From the moment the digging tool enters the soil, newbies and beginners are warned about nicking or scratching a coin during recovery. We tell them the techniques and tricks to keeping a find from being damaged.

Sometimes we go on to explain how to clean and preserve them. Every one of the moderators here knows that warm soapy water is the ONLY way to clean coins. I always tell beginners to resist field cleaning. If they simply cannot wait, I advise them to carry a small plastic jar of soapy water to shake their find inside for a quick clean. After a while, they get over their sense of urgency.

We are not moderators because we are dummies. We are selected by both the administrators and our peer group because of our experience, knowledge and a few other factors. I'm really not trying to give you a hard time and I agree that the valuable coins need professional care and cleaning. Modern coinage for spending can and should be cleaned up at least to get the roots and soil from them. But let me also suggest to you that a good number of our members here have indeed become expert professionals at cleaning coins by either study or trial and error. That happens to be the same way that the industry professionals learned. And some of our members have surpassed the self proclaimed experts at their skill in cleaning coins.

And make no mistake about it. All of the experts in coin cleaning are self proclaimed experts. There's not a one of them who holds any kind of advanced degree in coin cleaning. Such a degree or course of study simply does not exist. They all learned from reading articles and books about the subject. In fact, some may have even read my long ago published articles on the subject.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg101944.html#msg101944

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:26:54 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 07:08:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

She would hate me I just dump 100 dollar face value silver at spot to a jeweler who is going to melt them. As for clad tumble it and dump it on the bank they don't like dirty money.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg101953.html#msg101953

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 10:13:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
She would hate me I just dump 100 dollar face value silver at spot to a jeweler who is going to melt them. As for clad tumble it and dump it on the bank they don't like dirty money.

Well, she is crazy, after all. She may consider you a kindred spirit. Isn't that special?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg101969.html#msg101969

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 10:45:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That is special. So I sell silver coins for scrap it just makes the ones left worth more Hey I should get a reward.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg101972.html#msg101972

Offline CrazyCoinLady
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 09:48:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Kiss LOL, Nah, I own a coin shop. Wink I hope they were just those 64 Kennedy. Although technically your not suppose to melt them besides they are only 90% silver. With the silver market they are worth 10 times face.

Well part of why I say don't clean them is there are companies out there that use a program to sniff the for chemicals and won't grade or authenticate them. Same if they have been altered.  Lips Sealed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg102139.html#msg102139

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 09:52:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No most were dimes and quarters and a couple of dollars most from the 40's and 50's  I just sell don't care if he melts them

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg102141.html#msg102141

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:55:08 pm by seldom »

Offline CrazyCoinLady
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 10:35:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ah dollars if they are not to beat up go for about $12 on up. You checked for carson city right. Wink Just giving a hard time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg102144.html#msg102144

Offline craig j
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bonty hunter 1100
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 12:03:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i wa told by coin collecters to never clean them it takes the value away from the coin.thats my best advise to you good luck hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9573.msg105844.html#msg105844

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: