[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 09:58:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Now that we can talk without the foolishness of blaming everyone but the one's responsible here are a few facts.

Over the last 10 years I have seen 10 or 12 groups in Texas form to promote the rights of detector owners. All had good idea and a plans to carry them out but all failed because of one or two folks with special interest and enlarged egos. One bunch out of Houston had a good mix of rock hounds fossil hunters artifact hunters and coin shooters they started letter writing campaigns. They had several meetings with archeologist from the corp of engineers and local/state officials they were becoming a respected special interest group till a couple of then thought they could get away with bashing the other  special interest groups dictating to city hall how to do things, with in months the group fall apart. You/we will never get anywhere placing the blame on everyone else we are going to have to learn to talk and work with these people or yes we will lose the right to detect on government lands (school yards, parks, beaches etc.)

We have to talk/write to the people in charge and explain what we do how we help by removing glass metal etc from the parks etc. Not by bashing other groups most people will stop listening to you when you start running down other folks are groups and you get pegged as a nut case. Plus the group will close ranks and shut you down, prime example the other mods here stay out of this thread till Metal started bashing then the ranks closed and shut him down. Yea the mods here are a  special interest group our interest is to help new folks keep the spammers out post treasure story's and news items to discuss just keep things on an even keel. Not to argue with members.   

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231263.html#msg231263

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 04:50:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, Local clubs help to spread the message not to destroy private property and to get permission from land owners. Since I have been associated with the hobby I have been in two clubs that stress this. Not that all the members comply but It is the best we can do and without it the clubs themselves would become viewed as a public problem I believe.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231303.html#msg231303

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 06:50:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gambol1
Seldom, Local clubs help to spread the message not to destroy private property and to get permission from land owners. Since I have been associated with the hobby I have been in two clubs that stress this. Not that all the members comply but It is the best we can do and without it the clubs themselves would become viewed as a public problem I believe.

I agree a 100 percent clubs do a lot for the hobby and are very good helping new folks get started on the right path. I have given talks at several clubs but never joined any mainly because the ones I may had been interested in joining were to far away for me to make the meetings and join into the group hunts etc so I would not have been a good member.
Back in the early 90's I was working on a project in the Florida panhandle and meet a couple of beach hunters that invited me to their club meeting can't remember the name of the club something like the Panhandle Hunters or Hunters of the Panhandle anyway I was very impressed with them. They had a committee to reach out to groups like the boy scouts school groups histological groups anyone who would give them 30 minutes to talk about the hobby and answer questions. They had a committee that worked hand in hand with land owners and developers to get group hunts into places that most could not get into on their own. They past out literature at malls fairs flea markets  they worked hard to get new members and grow but the last time I talk to Bill before he died they had not had a new member in 5 years and that was 10 years ago.  I guess the club is now gone as most of the guys I meet were in their 60 back in the 90's without new members nothing will last long.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231331.html#msg231331

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 06:03:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, One of the clubs I belong to, Suncoast Research and Recovery Club, has worked with Florida Historical Society to recover artifacts from historical sites. That did a lot for our image locally. 
Seldom,
I'm new to this hobby. I've been wondering when did metal detectors with discrimination capability came to be marketed to the public? Was it before or after 1980 peak in silver prices? And if you were in it at that time was there a big interest in silver coin recovery? Do you recall?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231463.html#msg231463

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 06:08:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gambol1
Seldom,
I'm new to this hobby. I've been wondering when did metal detectors with discrimination capability came to be marketed to the public? Was it before or after 1980 peak in silver prices? And if you were in it at that time was there a big interest in silver coin recovery? Do you recall?

If you aren't careful, you'll get Uncle Seldom and Uncle GD goin' on a yarn spinnin' contest about life in the good ol' days when metal detectors weren't much more than highpowered clotheshangers at the end of broomsticks connected to big ol' heavy control units almost as big as a boombox  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231464.html#msg231464

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 06:59:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Garrett came out with the Very Low Frequency (VLF)/TR ground mineral cancellation discrimination instruments in 75 or 76 I think but being mainly an artifact and cache hunter I don't think I got one till around 78 I preferred BFO's for much of that kind of hunting  and still do. Fisher Lab's may had come out with a discrimination instruments before then I'm not sure.

The silver rush of the 80's was a time to remember seem everyone wanted to borrow a detector or buy any silver you had.

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Uncle Seldom and Uncle GD goin' on a yarn spinnin' contest about life in the good ol' days

Well I do remember back in the dark ages having to turn on my detector 20 minutes before I got to the site so it would warm up. And once I had to walk 5 miles in snow to no wait that was a school thing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231469.html#msg231469

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 07:07:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

UP Hill both ways?    LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231471.html#msg231471

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 07:14:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
UP Hill both ways?    LOL

sure, why not.......if Escher could make it happen, I'm sure GD and Seldom can remember it that way

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231473.html#msg231473

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

escher_ascending_cropped_1.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 08:35:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
If you aren't careful, you'll get Uncle Seldom and Uncle GD goin' on a yarn spinnin' contest about life in the good ol' days when metal detectors weren't much more than highpowered clotheshangers at the end of broomsticks connected to big ol' heavy control units almost as big as a boombox

Definitely some good old days in this noggin. There was a time when you could walk up to a school and pull $50.00 or more in silver in an afternoon. Now we fight for a few silver coins in a week. Right now, I have my eye on a vacant area next to a shopping mall that used to have a pathway that kids took from a housing area to school. Have to really dust off the brain cells for that one. I used to take that path every weekday for years. There was also a store there where we'd stop and spend a few cents on lunch items to add to those stale sandwiches mom used to make. They didn't leave the house stale but wax paper wasn't nearly as good as plastic wrap for keeping bread moist.

A pack of Twinkies would cost all of 3 cents back in the day.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231485.html#msg231485

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:37:06 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 08:48:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And the Twinkies were Real Cake too.   Not that Sticky Weird stuff today.  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231486.html#msg231486

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: