[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 03:06:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
And the Twinkies were Real Cake too.   Not that Sticky Weird stuff today.

Indeed. Sponge cake, not sponge. And the creme filling would actually go stale after a few days instead of being so full of sugar that they will never rot.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg231512.html#msg231512

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 08:46:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

G.D. ["There was a time when you could walk up to a school and pull $50.00 or more in silver in an afternoon. Now we fight for a few silver coins in a week."]

I can't get the quote to work?Huh??

That is what I was wondering. Many of the sites I work have been worked before [parks, ball fields, fair grounds] and I find a few coins from before 1980 but many from after and I was thinking that there may have been a big silver hunt when H bunkey ran up the price of silver?Huh??. What got me to thinking about this was a school yard I hunt regularly. The school was torn down in 1965 and it was an orange grove up till the freeze in 1990 and now it is weeds. Right now I think I'm the only one that braves the weeds and snakes and hunts there.  I figure most of the coins should be silver or at least before 1965. In many hunts,  I've found one Roosevelt and a 1914 liberty dime and some clad probably dropped by the grove workers.    I have 2 other theories about this site as well. One that it was filled or scraped or both, I found a mound on site which contains rusty nails hinges wire etc that is consistent with scraping,  the second is that the old coin sunk deep down into the sand out of reach of my F-75. I believe this because one of the silver coins was found at the driveway entrance which still is hard packed gravel. I'm still working on this.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg234092.html#msg234092

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

tangerinedig7feb10.jpg

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:58:34 am by gambol1, Reason: add photo »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 09:28:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gambol1
I can't get the quote to work?

First, highlight your text using the mouse. After you highlight the part you wish to quote, press the Quote button. Voila! Quoting happens!

Regarding sandy soil in Florida, some sinking occurs, as you suspect, but construction disturbs the soil far more. I was at a bulldozed site many moons ago and found a spill of 50c pieces, all more than 100 years old. Right on the surface, pretty as you please. I've always wondered how many were in the sod that was removed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37509.msg234094.html#msg234094

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Up
Jump to: