[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bootybay
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

xcalibur 2, explorer se, xterra 70
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 10:47:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This sounds so cool, thanks for doing this.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35355.msg216249.html#msg216249

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 10:54:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Get out there and find somemore of those Goodies! Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35355.msg216255.html#msg216255

Offline bootybay
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

xcalibur 2, explorer se, xterra 70
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 11:48:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

grrrrr am working on it Jim....pushy aint ya  lol Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35355.msg216282.html#msg216282

Offline Gozzo
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Gold, Whites GMT GoldMaster E - Series, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Grand Master Hunter cx11 (dead ), Garrett Ace 350  , Cen- Tech Hand Held
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 01:24:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well here she is as promised, found it in what appeared to be an old cigarette box, I tried to recover the box as well but it disintegrated when i attempted to move it. It's been in Kero since i found it. then I put it on a cloth wheel and attempted to polish it but the chrome on the Cylinder started to peel of so I stopped. The police were a tad peeved that i polished it up and soaked it in kero, as apparently I have removed any possibility of recovering fingerprints ( I attempted to tell the idiot that it appeared to have been buried for quite some time ). I have to wait 3 months to see if it is claimed or they can find it's owner but since there is no numbers or even a brand on it, good luck with that. it has a legible proof mark on it so out of curiosity I took it to a local Gunstore to see if they could ID it, apparently it is a Belgium proof mark for Black powder pistols and could date back as far as 1891 however there is supposed to be a number that tells the exact year of production and even who passed it but the frame is in such poor condition it is illegible. The 350 said it was 2 inches down but when i dug it it was probably closer to 8". It registered as multiple targets from the extreme left all the way to the right. figuring it was just another Railway spike I almost didn't dig more than the first inch or so. But since I plan to go back there I didn't want to find it again so away I dug. It's a cool find but i would prefer to find the rumored gold. Who knows maybe next weekend.
Keep on
 Detecting
Gozzo

Posted on: March 13, 2012, 01:19:06 AM
The s under the proof mark made the Gunsmith remark that he wasn't sure if the cylinder belongs to the gun something to do with the chrome, but unfortunatly as my being in possesion of it had already been reported to the police ( by me ) Sad I couldn't leave it with him to check it right out. I have been also told I wont get it back due to the fact it has ne serial Number. Which sucks
Gozzo

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35355.msg216429.html#msg216429

Dig it, you know you WANT to.

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

IMGP1812_small.jpg
IMGP1813_small.jpg
IMGP1815_small.jpg

Sorry this isn't that kind of Swingers club.

Offline cache
Knight
Silver Member

NOT INGAGING IN IGNORANCE IS WISDOM
Thank you123

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4335.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow's,  X2, X2 and X3
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 01:41:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

VERY cool find Gozzo!  Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35355.msg216431.html#msg216431

Always set your detector knobs on high dedication, higher devotion and at the highest persistence

Seconds Of Madness   Monster Munch   Military Snow  
Offline Thylacine
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Master Hunter 7 ADS.
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 02:25:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

I had one almost the same, the calibre was .450, was double action only as the sear was worn, they are chrome plated and the factory is now FN, they were 1900 copies of the Webley IRC pocket revolver. These little handguns were just the thing in gentlemen's protection on the continent and in OZ for a while. Mine had a birds head grip that was loose with a rusted screw, so I wrapped a leather boot lace around it. Back in the 1970's rounds were $1.55 each from Mick Smiths in Sydney.

Mine came back from WWI and was well used by the previous owner many times in trench raids, I had a nice letter from him outlining its history. He passed the FN to my mother to give to me as I was in the army at that time.

It fired black powder loads with a big soft lead projectile, the MV was not fast but the weight of the projectile made it a man stopper. I can remember how it kicked in my hand, the noise and the flash as I test fired it into the plum tree in the backyard around 11. pm one night. It certainly woke the neighbours and put a impressively decent hole in the old plum tree.

Depending on the state your in you have a few choices under the Uniform National Gun Laws, that arn't. It is almost impossible to find projectiles for the .450 now, they don't accept sort or long Colts and are different from the Kynoch rounds and the Webley was actually.455 ! You may be lucky and have it classed as a curio but you may still have to send it to a gun smith to make it inoperable by having parts removed and welding. The problem there is, welding and gun blue or in your case 100 year old chrome, don't mix well.

Also seeing that is it a .45 some state police agencies (UNGL's again) won't allow you to possess a handgun in a calibre that is larger than the S&W .40 calibre Glock's the police use. There is a wall of paperwork ahead of you and the decisions are made in the state capital. All paperwork must be made for in advance and if there is any mistakes or rejections there is no refund and you have to apply all over again.

You will need a safe that is of an approved type and in some cases if your neighbour objects to you having a firearm in your home they can complain and complain and................

If you get it back and it works and you don't want to keep it try a member of the SSAA who is into the cowboy shooting and they can put it on their licence and make some use of it.

Nice find, brought back some memories but your in for paperwork hell.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35355.msg216433.html#msg216433

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:53:58 pm by Christian »
Offline Gozzo
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Gold, Whites GMT GoldMaster E - Series, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Grand Master Hunter cx11 (dead ), Garrett Ace 350  , Cen- Tech Hand Held
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 02:31:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Cache, Smiley wish I had kept my mouth shut to the coppers though, but I suppose the way to look at it is like the cop said today " it's one out of a crims hands and off the streets "
Gozzo

Posted on: March 13, 2012, 02:26:32 AM
Thanks for the info Thylacine, yea im afraid I think I signed surrender papers today. and didnt realise what i had signed the Gunsmith i took it to told me he would have bought it but I told a mate ( he is a copper ) that I had it and he rang last night to see why it wasn't handed in yet. So dont know but im gonna go back tomorrow and see what i can do.
Gozzo

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35355.msg216437.html#msg216437

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 11:25:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great find Gozzo!  If you don't get it back, at least you have the pictures and the memories!  The state can't (yet) take the memories away.    Good Luck!             Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35355.msg216449.html#msg216449

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Gozzo
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 12:27:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yea I totally agree Arfieboy, as it says on someones signature, its about the find for me. Although I would love to dig up a hoard of old gold coins. I'm happy just finding anything. I find it a real buzz just digging and wondering " what is it this time " however I am sick of hearing that beutiful belltone, just to discover its another pulltab lol
Keep On
 Detecting
Gozzo

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35355.msg216506.html#msg216506

Offline ScubaSteveXdm
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett At Pro
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 04:27:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am striking out , I haven't found anything but clad on the few hunts I snuck in quick.

We only submit one item or is it one hunt?

I found a mini ipod today lol

I need to hook up with boomer so he can take me to the good stuff!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35355.msg216670.html#msg216670

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up
Jump to: