[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 06:52:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have most of the field tests on these machines and the factory is only about 30 miles from my house

AU

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10772.msg175667.html#msg175667

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 01:17:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

and no discrimination.

Excellent reading guys about these C-scopes and I'm in the USA here on the east coast, and would like to see a few in action on our east coast beaches here with some mineralization and magnetic black sand deposits here & there.

Dan, you make some very good points about the depth of PI signals, they transmit very deep!

Quote:Posted by danfloun
The only problem is that it has no discrimination, this means you have to dig every signal, at least until you become familiar with it's ways. This discrimination problem is a downside of pulse induction detectors, not the engineering or design of the detector.
So why use Pulse Induction if it has no discrimination? - Because it goes deep, I mean really deep! I once found a target on the beach, I asked my friend (who has an Minelab Etrac) if it was iron! He couldn't even detect a signal! I could, so I dug it and found a really nice roman brooch, good condition too.
So, you may spend time digging much junk up with the CS4PI, but there is nothing deeper for on the beech.
Prefer something more universal with discrimination? - get the CS3MX or better.
One more thing, finding great stuff is less about the detector in your hand, and more about the research you do and the hours you spend detecting.

Dan

But that's not the only reason that makes a PI machine great at the beach...And whether discrimination control on a PI detector is a good feature or not...At the beach specifically, no discrimination isn't a downside at all IMO but rather helps to enable you to make better & more finds of the good stuff.  Wink

Why many of the PI and other beach machines don't have a discrimination control makes sense to me for one very important reason?
To be honest, you really don't want to use discrimination at the beach for good reason, many of the lower frequency gold signals would be tuned out if you used discrimination, which means smaller gold rings and jewelry wouldn't be detected or sound off, and these are the signals that you really want to hit & hear the most IMO.

Great topic and eventhough the post is older, I saw that it was recently revived and wanted to post a reply about the benefits of not using discrimination at the beach!

Cheers,  Great
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10772.msg175759.html#msg175759

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:24:10 pm by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline danfloun
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

CSCOPE CS4PI
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 05:15:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Poseidon-Jim

Why many of the PI and other beach machines don't have a discrimination control makes sense to me for one very important reason?
To be honest, you really don't want to use discrimination at the beach for good reason, many of the lower frequency gold signals would be tuned out if you used discrimination, which means smaller gold rings and jewelry wouldn't be detected or sound off, and these are the signals that you really want to hit & hear the most IMO.

Cheers,  Great
Jim

Jim, I couldn't agree more.
After I re-read my post I saw a few things I should have reworded.

I said that having no discrimination was a problem! - This is of course subjective.
Like you, I also do not believe that lack of discrimination is an issue. Certainly with the CS4PI you can learn slight differences in the tone which helps you determine whether an item is iron or not. But of course, there are always exceptions and the only way to know you aren't missing something valuable is to dig it all.

However, one of my local beaches I gave up doing just that, there was far too much iron. So much so that most of my day would be spent digging junk with no time left to find the good stuff. But at least with the CS4PI and some time, the great thing is you can make the choice of whether to dig or not, whereas with something like a Minelab Etrac or other awesome detector you trust the iron discrimination to see you through.... but is that truly wise?Huh?

A note about the tones on the CS4PI;
After emailing CSCOPE about tonal variations when detecting various types of metals, I was assured that unlike the CS3MX, the CS4PI has no ability to change it's tone depending on the material of the target. I found this to be an accurate statement, however, what does happen is that with certain metals such as aluminium, various alloys, some small iron targets, gold and silver, you often get a very sharp, short tone.
Whereas with larger items, an specifically iron, it produces a fuzzy, slightly delayed tone. It takes some time to realise this and is not by design.

I went from digging 90% junk to digging 30% junk using this method,  in a matter of trips.

Regards
Dan

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10772.msg176202.html#msg176202

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 01:27:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yep, I can see that in your above reply. Your statement could have been taken either way, objective & subjectively, which this topic has lead to a very well rounded and full discussion at least so far.

I agree on, the PI's only have subtle tone variations, and so it appears to me that once you master those slight variations that you trash take reduces greatly.  Great

I enjoyed the post Dan, thanks man-  Wink
Jim

PS: Give RidgeRunner an email or PM, he has detailed info on those detectors plans & circuts!

Quote:Posted by danfloun
Jim, I couldn't agree more.
After I re-read my post I saw a few things I should have reworded.

I said that having no discrimination was a problem! - This is of course subjective.
Like you, I also do not believe that lack of discrimination is an issue. Certainly with the CS4PI you can learn slight differences in the tone which helps you determine whether an item is iron or not. But of course, there are always exceptions and the only way to know you aren't missing something valuable is to dig it all.

However, one of my local beaches I gave up doing just that, there was far too much iron. So much so that most of my day would be spent digging junk with no time left to find the good stuff. But at least with the CS4PI and some time, the great thing is you can make the choice of whether to dig or not, whereas with something like a Minelab Etrac or other awesome detector you trust the iron discrimination to see you through.... but is that truly wise?Huh?

A note about the tones on the CS4PI;
After emailing CSCOPE about tonal variations when detecting various types of metals, I was assured that unlike the CS3MX, the CS4PI has no ability to change it's tone depending on the material of the target. I found this to be an accurate statement, however, what does happen is that with certain metals such as aluminium, various alloys, some small iron targets, gold and silver, you often get a very sharp, short tone.
Whereas with larger items, an specifically iron, it produces a fuzzy, slightly delayed tone. It takes some time to realise this and is not by design.

I went from digging 90% junk to digging 30% junk using this method,  in a matter of trips.

Regards
Dan

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10772.msg176321.html#msg176321

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline metal maniaTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity