[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline upsmanpaTopic starter
Silver Member

Life's A Garden Dig It!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:54:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I saw recently that a ship in the outer banks due to storms had moved about 2 miles from where it sank years ago. Is it safe to assume that smaller treasure "coins, goblets, dishes, etc" would also be moved around by stronger than normal ocean currents? Thanks for you help upsmanpa

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12647.msg79901.html#msg79901

Offline aquanut
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse, Tesoro Tiger Shark
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 10:33:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Absolutely!

Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12647.msg80006.html#msg80006

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:23:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bigger question "would be how far would the smaller types of treasure move relative to the main wreck and what would be the major factors in determining what moved where? "   That could involve some complicated modelling... best I can guess is the debris would be scattered from the original site to the new site with location depending upon object density and size and its initial location on or near the wreck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12647.msg80102.html#msg80102

Offline upsmanpaTopic starter
Silver Member

Life's A Garden Dig It!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 04:30:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well Said BA, thanks Aquanut. I'm still trying to figure out what the tides mean and how they work. There is so much to learn, but thats the fun part, Good fortune follows the prepared!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12647.msg80107.html#msg80107

Offline aquanut
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse, Tesoro Tiger Shark
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:14:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The initial storm, if that was the case, would move buoyant stuff and the buoyant containers holding not so buoyant stuff (treasure etc.)  wherever it's winds and currents determined. After that, subsequent storms moved it to a lesser degree.
The dynamics involved are extremely complicated and have been discussed at length especially as it applies to the 1715 Plate fleet off the coast of Florida. This is not a question that will have any simple solutions, for subsequent storms could even move stuff back to the point where they originally rested, kind of messing with any theories you might have. You can rest assured, however, barring an earthquake, the cannons once off the cannon decks won't move from where they were dumped even though it might be some distance from where the bottom holding it's silver bars was torn out.
Good Luck,
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12647.msg80130.html#msg80130

Offline eyepatch
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:30:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very interesting and way above my head. My question would be is it possible to predict through tested means the movement of a weighted object on a given ocean bottom through a hurricane or storm, and through ordinary currents. If so, a kind of trend might be predicted.
Thanks,
eyepatch

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12647.msg151152.html#msg151152

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 01:29:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Through ordinary currents for a specific location, probably.   But when you start throwing in the other variables such as hurricanes and other storms coming from different directions with different velocities and different durations, especially over a time span ranging from 75 to 500 years your odds of accurate modelling go way down.....way to many variables.  Aquanut probably given you about as good of an explanation as you can expect unless you really want to dive into fluid dynamics, computer modelling, etc.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12647.msg151241.html#msg151241

Offline eyepatch
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:41:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

We fish off the NC coast and belonging to the fishing crew of about six, and being in the retirement age...I function mostly as cook.  It occurred to me that if we had some numbers of approximate location of some of these wrecks, it would be great to fashion some kind of bucket or scoop to let down to sample the surface sand for any finds....particularly small objects or coins.  You'd probably need a shrimp boat to scrap anything across the surface....but to let down in a fairly stationary position, a weighted cone that would open up when the sand is penetrated, and closed to capture the sample might work.  My imagination runs wild. Like looking for a needle in a hay stack. But the chances become greater the closer one samples to the wreck. Or, sampling along a predicted path the wreck might take in a storm or hurricane.

eyepatch

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12647.msg151454.html#msg151454

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: