[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline zenmanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

76.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Anyone living in south florida interested in putting together a team to start some serious treasure hunting ? please respond. There are two of us (beginners but smart and savvy) gearing up to start the hunt.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15970.msg102503.html#msg102503

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:50:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Zenman there are 100's of small groups working in Fl and all along the gulf coast I suggest you hook up with one of them to get your feet wet. Unless you have the boats, detectors, Mag's dive equipment and a support team you are looking at a large investment.

Seldom 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15970.msg102526.html#msg102526

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline aquanut
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse, Tesoro Tiger Shark
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:16:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That's not you, is it "Kris".

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15970.msg103168.html#msg103168

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

76.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:26:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

no kris here, name is michael

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15970.msg103205.html#msg103205

Offline aquanut
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:43:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good Luck Michael. Beware the state of Florida.
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15970.msg103224.html#msg103224

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

76.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:24:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

why does everyone keep saying that ?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15970.msg103674.html#msg103674

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 04:38:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

NAPLES ? For years, sunken treasure off Florida?s coast has been a relative free-for-all for anyone with the time and ability to find it.

But proposed rules could make it harder for treasure hunters to collect the prized relics.

Some commercial salvers suggest the waters off of Florida contain more Colonial-era sunken treasure than any other place in the world, with a value estimated to be in the billions of dollars. Salvage companies estimate at least a million dollars worth of treasure is in the Naples/Fort Myers area alone and artifacts worth hundreds of thousands of dollars are salvaged in and around Southwest Florida, by both commercial and recreational divers, each year.

Treasure hunting has been legal in Florida since the 1960?s. Recently, however, groups of marine archaeologists are fighting to have the practice outlawed. Many in this camp consider treasure hunting to be little more than state-sanctioned looting of what they believe should be deemed historical sites. These groups are pushing for tougher laws and outright bans in many cases.

Over the past decade, marine archaeologists have successfully championed greater restrictions on Florida?s treasure hunting industry and have recently brought requests for modifications to the state?s rules governing the recovery of historical shipwrecks by private sector salvers. Their requests would limit salvage permits to a period of one year and narrow search areas to one mile. They would also mandate that an archeologist be on board the search vessel. The proposal would prohibit hunters from searching for treasure up to 500 yards offshore ? the range that is considered the most treasure-rich because storms and hurricanes naturally wash shipwrecks toward the shore.

The rules could threaten the livelihoods of local treasure hunters, such as Captain Kym Ferrell, a Florida native who has been working aboard salvage vessels since he was 14. He and a small crew of three to four people choose search sites based on historical research, instinct and knowledge of the local waters. Ferrell said he?s found treasure near Naples but would not say where.

Even simple, single day dives can be costly, Ferrell said. Fuel, supplies and salvage permits are expensive. On a recent dive by Ferrell, permits were $600 per site. A single wreck can have several different sites, depending on its size. Treasure hunters also have to give the state 20 percent of their find.

?Still, treasure hunting is one of the few industries left that allows people to use their strength and wits to earn whatever profit they can find for themselves,? Ferrell said. ?The ocean doesn?t care who you are or what you have. If you?re smart enough to find the treasure, you can hit it big. In that sense, treasure hunting is very American.?

Treasure hunters argue that without their efforts many of the sites would never be excavated, resulting in a loss of artifacts and treasure. Roughly 20 percent of all of the artifacts in Florida?s museums ? more than 30,000 items ? have been donated by treasure hunters.

On the other side of the argument are scientists who fear that the lure of treasure and the cost of retrieving it forces some hunters to destroy much of the history that could be salvaged from a site.

In a December meeting in Paris, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization discussed a ban on commercial exploration of underwater historical sites.

?Treasure hunting is driven by commercial logic, and not by the concern for increasing our knowledge of history,? said Mounir Bouchenaki, Assistant Director of General Culture for UNESCO. ?Time is money, so treasure hunters must work quickly to raise as many artifacts as possible. We gain an enormous amount of knowledge from wreck sites, but with treasure hunters, all of this is lost. Proper records are not kept and salvaged artifacts get scattered around the world in private collections. This is a tragic loss for humanity as a whole. Where there is no knowledge, there is no memory.?

Professional treasure hunters say they take exceptional care when excavating a wreck site. According to Taffy Fisher, daughter of the late Mel Fisher, one of the country?s most famous and prosperous treasure hunters, ?we have professional marine archaeologists and marine biologists with us on every dive to ensure that artifacts are removed and handled properly, and that the surrounding marine environment is not disturbed. Every detail of each dive is meticulously photographed, recorded and cataloged.?

It will likely be several years before any final verdict is decided regarding the fate of treasure hunting, but, according to Ferrell, as long as there is unclaimed treasure lying at the bottom of the sea, there?s likely to be somebody willing dive in after it.

Ferrell recently introduced Dr. John Wolf, a Naples dentist, to treasure hunting. Wolf commissioned a half-day pleasure cruise for his dental staff out of Doctor?s Pass with Ferrell and his crew.

?It was fantastic,? Wolf said. ?Beautiful. I found a silver coin my first day out.?

Wolf said he has since gone ?hunting? with Ferrell a dozen or so times, and found scores of coins.

Depending on its age and condition, a single silver coin can be worth up to $1,000 and a similarly-sized gold coin can fetch as much as $20,000 at Christies Auction House ? one of the world?s leading experts on the sale of legally salvaged sunken treasures and artifacts.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15970.msg103696.html#msg103696

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

76.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:49:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The answer is simple, a state archeologist must accompany the salvagers, but then the state should pay 20% of the expenses if they are taking 20% of the monies.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15970.msg104262.html#msg104262

Offline aquanut
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:35:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm glad seldom answered your question. I got a feeling he can type faster than my one word a minute.
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15970.msg104272.html#msg104272

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:41:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by aquanut
I'm glad seldom answered your question. I got a feeling he can type faster than my one word a minute.
Aquanut

No man that took me 2 days

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15970.msg104275.html#msg104275

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: