[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline therandymanTopic starter
Copper Member

Old, Fat and Lazy Need Not Apply!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, Ace 250
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:34:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Late in the afternoon...too late, I thought.  The wind was blowing out of the northeast, gusty and strong.  I looked down at the two L shaped coat hanger rods in my hands.  For some reason, I had selected the unpainted bronze looking type over the white painted...I was not sure exactly why.  I had snipped and shaped them carefully into perfect shapes with none of the crimped and twisted hook end left in them.  They looked very small in my over sized hands...the wife said they were too small for me.  How did she know? She had dowsed for water as a little girl when she went to work with her dad who had made money repairing and replacing old and damaged water lines in the small Texas town she grew up in.  He had something of a reputation for finding and fixing them fast.  I stared at her when she was telling the story.  "What?" .... "I've been married to you for 13 years and never heard this story.  You've been holding out on me."  She shrugged, "Never seemed like a big deal to me or him at the time."

The wind slapped me out of my thought...a gust that must have been 40mph.  Dangit...my first time and it has to blow a hurricane.  As I walked up to the target area I saw an erstwhile golfer practicing his 9 iron into the wind.  No problem...plenty of room for the both of us.  I walked down to the other end by the barbed wire fence.  Whistling shrill notes popped through the barbed wire... I gotta be crazy to be trying this now.  Oh well, I'm out here...what the heck, lets give it a shot.  I turned my back to the wind.  Holding the rods down, I took out a Kennedy 90% silver half that I had brought along as a memory and focus prop.  I stared at it closely.  A beautiful coin, not as pretty as the walker I had in my other pocket, but still nice to look at.  I noted each feature...the hairline, the stars, the eagle's feathers...L I B E R T Y...arrows...branch...shield..E. PLURIBUS UNUM...each burned into my mind.  Thinking clearly, I put the coin back into my pocket.  Under my breath... I want the Kennedy silver half she buried here.  Take me to the Kennedy half please.   I raised the rods...

As the rods came up in front of me, I struggled with the grip...I was surprised that I didn't have a good feel for what I thought would have been the easiest part of the whole thing.  Lowering the rods, I adjusted my grip.  A jogger went by on the concrete trail nearby...staring.  Bah...c'mon, focus.  Repeating my mantra, I raised the rods again.  The grip was better this time, relaxed and seemingly fitting in a notch in my index finger.  I started to slowly walk forward trying to keep the rods level by locking my elbows near my sides.  One step, two steps...both rods swung outwards...left to the left, right to the right...which took them directly into the wind.  I stopped, thinking they would come back as the wind would blow them.  As if powered by their own little generator, they fought to hold their position against the gusts, rocking back and forth slightly at almost the same tempo.  Naw...can't be.  I must be holding them like that.  I lowered the rods.  Adjusting my grip, I said my mantra slowly looking at the ground and focusing in my mind on the Kennedy again.  Raising the rods up, I held them in front of me.  My back to the wind...for a few seconds they did not move.  Then, slowly, both turned outward again, fighting the wind as they came out from my body shield.  I stood still and watched them battle thinking for sure they would give up...fall back...fail.... for a full 3 to 4 minutes, I watched them fight.   Lowering the rods again, I stared at my hands.  

Darkness was falling quickly and the wind was picking up even more...the golfer had gathered up his equipment and left.  A front was blowing in now.  I tucked the rods into my coat pocket and walked back to the house thinking all the way...

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19602.msg128918.html#msg128918

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:38:05 pm by therandyman »

"Loyalty above all, except Honor."

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:45:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice badge there mudflap. trying to figure out where its from. Im off topic, but dont know how to use site that well yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19602.msg128923.html#msg128923

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 06:45:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by casca
Nice badge there mudflap. trying to figure out where its from. Im off topic, but dont know how to use site that well yet.

That was USASA, US Army Security Agency. Closed down around 1977. Electronic spy vs spy Wink 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19602.msg129129.html#msg129129

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 07:16:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I apologize a thousand times for being off topic. That patch looks like another one out there right now. I miss the old days.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19602.msg129141.html#msg129141

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 08:15:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I apologize a thousand times for being off topic. That patch looks like another one out there right now. I miss the old days.

Your not off topic casca the topic is 3:30 in the morning talk about anything you like.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19602.msg129150.html#msg129150

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 08:41:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good then, today I realized I do not need an expensive detector. It would help if I had one with a pinpointer. I spotted out a few targets on my list, and got used to google maps on my blackberry. I also spent time in the creek to get comfortable with that. I like this little BH 202, but anything like a soda can, and it goes haywire. I played with the notch and sensitivity, but Im still finding sprinkler heads in the parks and such. Everyday is a little bit better.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19602.msg129153.html#msg129153

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 12:46:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good then, today I realized I do not need an expensive detector. It would help if I had one with a pinpointer. I spotted out a few targets on my list, and got used to google maps on my blackberry. I also spent time in the creek to get comfortable with that. I like this little BH 202, but anything like a soda can, and it goes haywire. I played with the notch and sensitivity, but Im still finding sprinkler heads in the parks and such. Everyday is a little bit better.

When your Bounty Hunter detects a large target close up the receiver becomes swamped with too large a signal. That's what you refer to as going haywire. When you suspect a sprinkler head or soda can, simply raise your detector up until the signal gets weak. Then detect from that distance until you can pinpoint it. Sometimes you have to raise the coil as much as two feet to get a fainter signal.

I'll give you a bit of encouragement here. Nearly every cache I have found in my life has been a huge hit on my detector. They nearly all ring up like a huge can or sprinkler head. In one case, I nearly decided not to dig the target because I wasn't hunting for a cache and I thought it was rubbish. Surprise! An accidental find of a cache was made that day.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19602.msg129194.html#msg129194

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:48:08 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 12:58:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Golddigger. Thats a very simple solution. I cant tell you how many simple solutions I have found on this website. I still want a pinpointer option on my detector. Nah, Im having too much fun with this one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19602.msg129196.html#msg129196

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: