[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 03:38:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GriderPirate
I find it interesting that some respond on the topics by simply pointing out the foolishness of the whole idea. I have met many that stand on their academic or logical pedestal in this way and debunk everything that doesn?t fit into their world. They are similar to some religious people in this way.

My question is, as a believer or non believer, how many of you have physically tried to dowse? As a follow up question, were you in any way successful in the experience?

Unfortunately, you prefaced your request here with an anecdote that doesn't allow for any answer other than a positive one or else you will be doing the ridicule instead of the skeptics. That's a good way not to ask a question.

As to a reply from me, I admit to having tried dowsing. I also admit to having seen others dowsing and tested some of them. I failed to get any valid response from my own dowsing and in every case of watching others dowse was never convinced of anything at all. I truly wish it worked but statistically there is no more than what would happen by pure chance going on.

Why would any logical thinking treasure hunter NOT want there to be a real way to dowse treasure? It makes no sense to simply state that the skeptics are being unfair. I'd bet your last dollar (note that I won't bet my own) that every skeptic here is only one because of wishing it worked and being disappointed that it doesn't. Mere disappointment turns into a harsher feeling when seeing people who believe treating the subject as if it is a proven technology.

It isn't.

What dowsing is or is not doesn't matter. If you believe in it, fine. Use it. If you don't, fine. Don't use it. Just remember that when you make a comment here, you are not simply blogging. If you want no discussion, do just that. Start a blog and turn off comments. If you make a post here, be fully aware that it CAN and WILL get comments both positive and negative. Prefacing your questions here with a "please be nice" clause is a good way to stir up the pot and despite your request will incite more harsh comments that it will prevent.

I do not believe that dowsing works and I know for an absolute fact it has never been scientifically verified. It has been tested scientifically, but not proven to work. I do remain hopeful, however. Who wouldn't? If I could point a couple of sticks at a potential treasure site and find a pile of gold, I would do it every time. If I could dangle a crystal over a map and find a spot laden with treasure, I would do that every time.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19520.msg128317.html#msg128317

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline GooniePirateTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

225.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 04:35:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I simply passed on something I experienced and then asked, have you tried it, and what happened. I never meant to blog anything. The fact that some folks come out with daggers drawn is their problem, again reminding me of religious folks defending their beliefs.
GD and RO i have read many of your posts and I fully respect your opinion and I do others. I think some of you read a bit too much into what I wrote. I was asking for experiences and yes I know these are not scientific in any way. I may not be the Rube you think.
I have only seen one full video of a dowsing test that was taped in England .....What a dowsing failure, with one person crying and not understanding why they failed.
It would be amazing if somehow it was proven to work, but can you imagine the possibilities of that? We would have to find a different hobby!

By the way, my Tesoro is my first choice as a dowsing tool.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19520.msg128332.html#msg128332

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:39:00 pm by GriderPirate »

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."   R. R.

Offline LkyEgl
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 07:19:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This whole debate puts me in mind of an experiment I was trying when I was about 20 years of age.
I took one die of a pair of dice, and was in a quite compartment aboard ship. I wanted to see if I could control the number that came up when I rolled it. Well, long story short, I was rolling the number I was concentrating on about 8 out of 10 tries. Then another sailor came in and asked what I was doing. I explained to him and since he didn't believe it, I tried to prove it. Yep, you might have guessed it, I could not do more than 50% after that. (Until he left.) After that, I could again "beat the odds", but never got much better than 65% afterwards.

I reasoned that when anything of a psychic nature is done for a demonstration, then the results are less than dependable, to say the least! Grin

Perhaps due to negative psychic enfluences around you?? Oh well, I guess I'm one of those "star-gazers" that believes humans have a ways to go before they start living up to their full potential. But, in any case, I have never been one to stand around and say that it's impossible.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19520.msg128354.html#msg128354

Offline GooniePirateTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

225.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I simply passed on something I experienced and then asked, have you tried it, and what happened. I never meant to blog anything. The fact that some folks come out with daggers drawn is their problem, again reminding me of religious folks defending their beliefs.
GD and RO i have read many of your posts and I fully respect your opinion and I do others. I think some of you read a bit too much into what I wrote. I was asking for experiences and yes I know these are not scientific in any way. I may not be the Rube you think.
I have only seen one full video of a dowsing test that was taped in England .....What a dowsing failure, with one person crying and not understanding why they failed.
It would be amazing if somehow it was proven to work, but can you imagine the possibilities of that? We would have to find a different hobby!

Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19520.msg128523.html#msg128523

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."   R. R.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 06:18:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GriderPirate

Good choice. It's just like a fine wine. It's in my top 5.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19520.msg128600.html#msg128600

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 09:04:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

OK lets see
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Good choice. It's just like a fine wine. It's in my top 5.
Ok let see
#1 Mrs GD
#2 GD dog
#3 Garrett
#4 Tesoro
#5 Fine wine

You left out Gentleman Jack Who you going to bump 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19520.msg128615.html#msg128615

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 05:00:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

LoL

Gentleman Jack is my personal manservant. He'll be along any minute now to see if I need anything.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19520.msg128682.html#msg128682

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: