[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline quagmeisterTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

15.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 69.0.3497.100
Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Awards

Garrett Groundhog
« on: September 20, 2018, 03:08:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

(Another) Just Joined  relative newbie, with almost the Usual Question... 

Retired Old Grump, Western side of Oz.  Have been given a - working -  Garrett Groundhog ADS, but the depth and response is not much better than my  PI kit of over 35 years ago.
 Sometime next winter we'll be up on the goldfields  (read,  mineralized ground...)   so I need a better detector than the Groundhog.

At the moment,  Garrett  ACE series are looking attractive on the basis of  proven brand/product/value/support,  though this pensioner-Scrooge remembers how cost-effective that kit-built machine was, and how 'tempting'  those  $180 ebay chinese machines  are looking...
   Has anyone here bought & used one ? - and brave enough to admit it Huh?  Cheesy

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Deep-Sensitive-Minelab-Metal-Detector-Pinpointer-Gold-Treasure-LCD-Waterproof/173407099816?hash=item285fde5ba8:g:z~IAAOSw~TNbRxqZ

My second choice would be another PI, build-it- myself.  They work well in mineralized soils and great on beaches. Any proven, easy to build kits around ? 

I can see the Garrett being a near-certainty, unless there's something better at the price point.   Ending up with 2 or even 3 machines is not a problem, as a farmer-friend will happily accept the cheapest one for round the paddocks hunting... like that $60  drawbar pin he dropped into the fresh furrows... Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67711.msg325443.html#msg325443

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 62.0
Firefox 62.0

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:19:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the forum.  

Of the machines you mention the best Proven Gold machine is the 15 Khz Ground Hog .  I have the American S3 lower power version.  15Khz does quite well.

The Ace is a fine all round machine but not going to be a getting er on the small gold running 6.5.  

I would avoid the Chines Clones like the Plague.  Most only look like that there meant to be like and nothing the same in circuitry.    

What PI machine did you build back when ?

What sorta Electronics back ground and skill would you say you possess ?  Do you have a bit of gear and test equipment  ?  Minimum of  a DVM and Two Channel O Scope ?  Basic requirement on any of the more complicated DIY Builds.  

There are a pile of Some What Simple PI Kits or at Least PCB available.

I've built the Surf PI,  Not much more then a handy dig it all coin machine.

The Barracuda, Much better Beach Type Coin Machine.  Works fine for Tot Lots if you dig it all like I do.

The Pulse Mini in various stages of Completion , Way more capable coin machine with possibilities of  larger Gold with some tinkering in reach.  Set up as to can run DD coils.  You can find more information on these machines by searching this site in box above.   Or half way down on this GeoTech Site Page.  

Please Register or Login

http://www.geotech1.com/forums/forum.php

Of any of the current PI kits or PCB's available to most sophisticated and capable Gold Machine looks like the Mirage.  Yea I have that PCB setting her waiting for the Some Day to come along.  LOL  

Please Register or Login

https://www.treasurelinx.com/mirage_pi_2.html

If your serious about finding Gold you need a Dedicated Gold Machine in your mix.  My Whites GMT does that for me.  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67711.msg325447.html#msg325447

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:28:01 am by Homefire »
Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux (Ubuntu)
Linux (Ubuntu)
Firefox 62.0
Firefox 62.0

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 12:58:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire, I think you just sold me on building the Pulse Mini.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67711.msg325456.html#msg325456

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 62.0
Firefox 62.0

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 04:58:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cool beans.  Easy Build.  One or two nights tops.  I had all the parts on hand but a few.  Just ordered the PCB.  Goty lucky and caught a Whites Yard sale TDI Super 150  for like $35.00 ?  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67711.msg325461.html#msg325461

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Whites TDI 6 inch Super 150.jpg

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:33:56 pm by Homefire »
Offline quagmeisterTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

15.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 69.0.3497.100
Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Awards

Garrett Groundhog
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 07:48:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

The metal detector was from some obscure electronics magazine,  one of many floating around back in the day., I think...   It WAS  a long time ago... 40 years+
After that I built a  ETI 549 for myself.  Sensitivity was...acceptable.  Setting up the coil overlap was the biggest nuisance and that defined performance.  A few years ago I found a partially built ETI 1500  VLF/TR, and in a most UN-characteristic moment....threw it out.   Shocked
 Anyway,  it's a bonus to hear that the Vintage Garrett Groundhog might still be a viable machine...

Background:-  Self-taught, have built several valve amplifiers... before those new-fangled  "tran-zis-stars"  turned polarity as well as theory upside down.  Builder of kits, a couple of home-brews  - Infra-red triggered IGN system for an outboard motor being my  'magnum opus'.   However, despite this,  to  'Rise in the World' I chose Printing.  That did prove useful in making my own PCBs,  reverse-engineering magazine  pics of boards into actual tracks and making negatives/exposing/etching them.
 So yes, I can stick wires to copper pads and work out which way the eleck-trickery goes...
 But, at this end of Life,  the more that comes ready-made or simply made,,,, the better.  Which is why I've always 'approved' of the PI machines for DIY... only ONE winding makes the search-coil and NO CRO  needed to set it up !!!
  In a moment of madness last night I let myself buy a   Surf PI kit on evilBay, so we'll see how that works.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67711.msg325479.html#msg325479

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux (Ubuntu)
Linux (Ubuntu)
Firefox 62.0
Firefox 62.0

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:28:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, I have a couple Surf PI boards in a box somewhere. If I find them, I will build them. But right now I'm thinking that the PulseMini (or three) will be my winter project.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67711.msg325482.html#msg325482

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 62.0
Firefox 62.0

Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 06:34:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

LOL, Sounds like my thinking.  When ever I buy a PCB I always buy at least two.  The Baracuda and Chance I have being being exceptions.  They were gifted to me.  Same with Components.  If I need two order at least 10 or 20 ?  Ever notice when you get on a project you seem to have Every Part required but ONE ? 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,67711.msg325488.html#msg325488

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: