[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline AntonyTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Ukraine
Referrals: 0

1740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ACE 250 + Nel Tornado, Minelab Golden Hawk, Explorer SE PRO
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:33:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Let me tell you about the place, which is connected with the history of my best finds of... It is the ruins of the ancient city of Chersonese.  Megarian Greeks from Heraclea Pontica in 528 BC established their trading factory on the of what is known today as Karantinnaya bay.  On the fields outside the city they grew wheat and grapes, and grazzed cattle.  Port Chersonesus welcomed ships from many different countries.  The city rapidly developed into a prosperous and wealthy community.

The streets and public places were decorated with statues of gods and of Heracles, the famous hero who was believed to be the city's guardian and patron.  New and attractive houses were soon built, as well as several market places and a theatre.  Having brought under its control the entire western coast of Crimea, Chersonese became a large center of trade, crafts, and culture.

Mighty walls and towers defended the city from the ferocious Scythians who never succeded in capturing it.  It was only in the 10th century AD when Chersonese first surrendered to the army of the Kievan prince Vladimir who converted into Christianity here.  In the 13-14 th centuries the Tatar invasion put an end to this glorious city which had existed on the Crimean land for 2500 years.

Posted on: June 19, 2012, 03:31:39 PM
Already in 390-380 BC Chersonese mints its own coin, and this is the illustration for not only advanced trade, but also for a high level of metal-working that appreciably determine a level of all other crafts. On the first picture you can see the ruins of the ancient Mint where you can make your own souvenir coins. But it is not of interest for the true treasure hunters... Exactly a month after I went to this incredible place I was lucky to find two rare coins of "Chersonesus Taurica" which I'm very proud of.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36816.msg226090.html#msg226090

There are 7 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

1.jpg
11.jpg
2.jpg
21.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

“Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.” (Marcus Aurelius)

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:47:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great nice finds Antony , you are lucky to be able to search places with such interesting history . cheers Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36816.msg226097.html#msg226097

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:31:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very nice.  Thanks for sharing what few of us will ever get the opportunity to see first hand.  Appreciate the background too.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36816.msg226110.html#msg226110

Offline AntonyTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Ukraine

1740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ACE 250 + Nel Tornado, Minelab Golden Hawk, Explorer SE PRO
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by au fever
nice finds Antony , you are lucky to be able to search places with such interesting history . cheers Mick

It is not difficult because I live in the town, which is going to mark its 25 - century anniversary... Eupatoria (Russian: Евпатория, Ukrainian: Євпаторія, Tatar: Kezlev), also known as Yevpatoria or Evpatoria, as pronounced in Russian and Ukrainian, is a town in the Crimea.  The original settlement, called Kerkinitida, was built by Greek colonists around 500 BC.  Along with the rest of the Crimea, Eupatoria was part of the dominions of Mithridates VI, King of Pontus, from whose nickname, "Eupator", the city's modern name derives. In the 4th century BC Kerkinitida became a part of Chersonese state. So here you can still find coins of this ancient city, which I told you.
The past and present are intertwined in Eupatoria in a quaint manner. People of different religious and ethnic backgrounds have lived together for centuries in peace...

Posted on: June 20, 2012, 01:02:30 AM
Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Very nice.  Thanks for sharing what few of us will ever get the opportunity to see first hand.  Appreciate the background too.

Thank you for your attention to my topics... The only jewel which will not decay is knowledge.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36816.msg226133.html#msg226133

“Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.” (Marcus Aurelius)

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Antony

Hmm see what happens when I am away for a time. Interesting posts slip buy. I did not realise Greek influence had pushed that far east. So you learn some thing new every day. How trade had such  Major impact on the social exchanges in the region..

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36816.msg240013.html#msg240013

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:26:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Antony

As all ways you post make for some very interesting reading thanks for posting and looking forward to you next

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36816.msg240023.html#msg240023

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: