[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline johnnywadTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Deepseeker
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:18:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Has anybody ever heard of a Miquelete(<---spelling? it's close)   Flintlock Musket? I aquired one in an estate sale,for next to nothing. I have searched and found tidbits of information,but I'd sure appreciate more info!  It has a Hexagon barrel,with brass rings around the forestock (where the metal ramrod is contained) There is plenty of ornate scrollwork all over. The all metal stock is sloping hard in a downward way from behind the flintlock,and where I would call the "pistolgrip area" of the stock,it's only as big around as a childs wrist. I can't find any numbers,initials,or any sort of identification. I'll try to send a pic,as soon as I figure out how to. Thanks to all!  Jc

MODERATOR NOTE: This topic has been split into its own topic from another so it won't get lost among the previous discussion. JC, when you have a question such as this one, it is much better to remain in the same forum and ask your question by beginning a new topic. You've done nothing wrong. This was only meant to help.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15931.msg102282.html#msg102282

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:30:27 pm by GoldDigger1950 »
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:35:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The miquelet lock, with its combined battery and pan cover was the final innovative link that made the true flintlock mechanism possible. It proved to be both the precursor and companion to the true flintlock. Two major variants of the miquelet were produced. The Spanish lock where the mainspring pushed up on the heel of the cock foot and the two sears engaged the toe of the cock foot. The other variant was the Italian  type where the mainspring pushed down on the toe of the cock foot and the sears engaged the cock on the heel of the foot.
Can you post some pictures

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15931.msg102283.html#msg102283

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Deepseeker
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:11:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

WOW!  You've really got me going now! You've provided me with more information than I have ever gotten elsewhere. From your description,I'm kinda leaning toward perhaps the Spanish version. When I pull the flintlock back,a spring loaded button hidden behind the cockfoot pops out and then it rests on the now extended button. Pulling the trigger pulls the button in,thus releasing the flintlock to make the strike. I'm sending this now,and I'm going to try to send pic,and possibly a video. I have both,but am a greenhorn rookie on the damn computer. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to assist in getting to the bottom of this mystery.  JohnC

Please Register or Login

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_--aXzHYh8#noexternalembed

I tried to upload it on Youtube. I watched it after the process. Whether or not it is available and ready yet,I'm not sure. Please let me know if you get to see it. I also have taken some pictures. If you don't get the video,I'll try and send them. You're probably shaking your head lol. Honest I'm not an idiot!!Haha  I'm just an old fogey who can swing an axe but can't push a bunch of friggen buttons! JohnC

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15931.msg102289.html#msg102289

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 08:03:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

John the video is up but its hard to study detail in a video some still photo's are needed
John from the video I am leaning to yours having a French influence there may be a mark of a 3 point crown on the bottom of the pan if there is it will help ID and date your musket 

It is generally accepted that the characteristics that classify a flintlock mechanism as a miquelet are the horizontal acting sears. That is, the full cock and half cock sears pass through the lockplate at right angles and the one-piece battery and pan cover. The most recognizable features associated with the miquelet are the large external mounted main spring and the large ring of the top jaw screw. Those features, when present, do not, by themselves, classify a lock as a miquelet.

One could notice a French influence in Spanish gunlock making in Madrid in the first quarter of the18th century. The Spanish lock had the French flintlock appearance, but the gunsmith mounted the main spring on the inside of the lock. It operated in the classic Spanish style (i.e., the horizontal acting sears). This style of miquelet was called the llave a la moda to distinguish it from the traditional patilla lock so popular with provincial gunsmiths.

The Italian miquelet was a style of lock that developed concurrently with that of the patilla. It was also known to the Spanish as the Roman lock or llave a la romana and achieved some measure of success in Spain, and subsequently throughout the Mediterranean. Its distinguishing features were the main spring that exerted a downward pressure on the toe of the cock and the full cock sear acting on the heel of the cock.

The origin and initial development of the patilla lock took place almost certainly under royal patronage and in Madrid around 1570. By 1620, it was fully developed and remained substantially unaltered for the next 200 years. The advent of the "caplock" firearm in the first quarter of the 19th century initiated the demise of the classic miquelet patilla lock.

The term miquelet was not applied to the lock until about 1815, most likely as a result of British troops in the Peninsular campaigns in Spain against Napoleon applying the term to the patilla mounted fusil carried by the Spanish mountain fusilers, known as "miqueletes". Periodic references to the Spanish styled lock, as miquelets became common usage over the remainder of the 19th century. The Spanish lock and all variants are now termed "miquelet". The accepted classification for the miquelet must now include the country, region, or tribe as the identifying style, i.e., Turkish, Russian, Spanish, Balkan, etc.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15931.msg102315.html#msg102315

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Deepseeker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 05:22:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

UPDATE: Firstly, I can't thank you enough for the interest your showing,and the unbelieveable information you've passed along. I've looked and found weapons similar,but there was always the wonder of what I really had in my possession. I believe we will be making a breakthrough soon. Of course this wouldn't be possible without your assistance.For that I am truly grateful.
I have a photographer friend across town. He can take pictures of a mosquito's iris at a thousand yards,and you can count the spots within it!  I'm going now to his residence,where he will take a volley of photographs. Once he is complete he will send them to me. Once I get home I will send them to you.(Hopefully) Perhaps I will ask him to send them directly here from his P.C. I still haven't mastered these things yet. I am very excited,at what we may be able to discover. For the record,the value of things mean nothing to me. It's all about history,exciting finds,learning,and getting a house full of junk. Yes my friend,I am somewhat of a hoarder.I just can't part with anything! HOWEVER! I love donating to museums. It's ALL GRAND!     Thanks once again!  JohnC.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15931.msg102374.html#msg102374

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: