[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline garyncamiTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Vaquero
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:41:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is a pic of the Marlin 30-30 we found just below the mud of a dried up pond here in one of the city parks. The only reason I can imagine someone throwing a weapon into what used to be water, is because they used the weapon to commit a crime. The police were called and they came and took it. Pretty rusty, but also pretty sweet to find. This was my first actual weapon find.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15660.msg100568.html#msg100568

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

marlin rifle.jpg

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:46:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That poor thing would be worth about 800.00 or more today if serviceable.

Tisk, Tisk!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15660.msg100569.html#msg100569

Offline garyncamiTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Vaquero
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah....the cop that came and took it was wanting it badly too. he was very aware of what it was and it's value.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15660.msg100571.html#msg100571

Offline Spooky
Bronze Member

Proud Rhodesian
Thank you3

Activity
0%

1110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, MXT, Fisher F5, BH SS2
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:39:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seriously though, a Marlin .30-30 is worth in the 500.00 range.

They are nice rifles, but not terribly accurate beyond 150 yards or so.

My first guess would be that it was stolen, or used for 'not so goodness', then my next guess would be some person who bought into the lies and stigma perpetuated by feelgood liberal types, convinced that an object can be 'bad" (God forbid, we blame the person) tossed it there to "save the innocents from being slaughtered by the object"
I would check into the status of it.
Chances are you may be lawfully entitled to it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15660.msg100573.html#msg100573

"Gimme foo, gimme fah, gimme Jabajabajabbah!!"

Offline buff
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:42:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great find.  We try to get out during extraordinary low tides in Florida searching the exposed mudflats.  Saltwater doesn't leave many firearms intact, unless they get covered by sand and/or mud very quickly after deposition.  If the cops don't tie the rifle to any crimes, maybe they'll let you have it as "found" property.  Just a thought.........

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15660.msg101224.html#msg101224

Offline toleary34
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:16:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very cool find.....that would have been hard to give up.  gotta love those lever actions

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15660.msg101677.html#msg101677

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 01:16:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

very cool, big fan of the lever actions here too, on my 2nd Winchester, great guns!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15660.msg101686.html#msg101686

Offline johnnywad
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Deepseeker
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 05:01:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Were you able to garner a number off of the rifle? If so, I've had pretty good luck running serial numbers through the different manufacturers web sites. Alot of them can tell you when the gun was made,where it was made etc. If you're really lucky they can even tell you the exact day. I'm kind of a research nut,can you tell? Good luck,and GREAT FIND!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15660.msg102303.html#msg102303

Offline Rattlesnake Joe
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

965.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 250 ace,  Whites DI Pro,  Fisher two box
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:43:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

When I was a kid back in the 1950's I was near an old slew that had a high cyclone fence with barbed wire on the top that circled the slew.  Along comes a Mexican man and his Sons [about four of 'em I think it was] they were all packed in the car.  He gets out and opens the trunk and then starts pitching rifles and shotguns over the fence into the rather swampy water.  Ker plunk the first one goes and the kids yell out in pain as valuable shootin irons are being thrown away.  Ker plunk another one hits the water.  Now these were teenage boys that were just about dying from agony as their old man kept pitching away, Ker plunk, ker plunk.  All together about 6 guns were thrown into the slew.  He was a man who meant business and wouldn't listen to the pleas of his kids.  I was about ten years old and was standing just 15 feet away.  My eyes were wide as I witnessed this before me.  He smiled at me as he could read the look on my face of total disbelief.  Then he got into the car and drove away leaving me there with my eyes wide and my mouth open.  I think the Father had had it with his kids shooting at things they weren't supposed to and to teach them a lesson he dumped the guns.  I never told anybody this story until now.  I guess because it had such a profound effect on me.   Later on in my life I found a six shot revolver deliberately buried under some leaves in a deserted part of a city park.  lt had been oiled real good and had a nice plastic handle with a 4 inch barrel, it was a RG foreign made six shot .38 special.  It was covered up with tin foil and hand pressed tightly around the gun.  I was walking back to my car with my detector turned on and wham I hit a big metal target.  I took my foot and scooped it out of some leaves.  It was wrapped up in a clear plastic bag and I thought it was the remains of some slobs lunch but my eyes saw the perfect outline of a pistol so I bent over and picked it up.  It was heavy and I knew it was real.  I looked around to make sure no one was watching me and I put it in my jacket pocket.  When I got to my car I very carefully opened the tin foil covered gun and realized I must have a murder weapon or at least a robbery revolver.  I took it straight to the police.  A Captain who had probably been on the force for 20 years grabbed it and took the covers off and put his big dumb hands all over it and opened it up like he was a big shot ya know?  He dumped the six live lead rounds out and destroyed any evidence there might have been with finger prints.  I was absolutely astounded to see such stupidity from a law enforcement officer.  I was speechless with silent rage but then I told him I wanted it back if it was found to not have a history of crime.  Low and behold about four months later they gave it back to me with out the rounds.  I complained about the missing ammo and the cop tells me, "it is not the policy of the police dept to give out loaded weapons to citizens.  I have forgotten more than he would ever know about shootin irons but I held my mud.  The End

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15660.msg102337.html#msg102337

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: