[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 04:52:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would venture a guess that the machine
was not ground balanced for your soil.

The minelab xterra 305 has manual ground
balance, also its operating frequency can be
changed by changing coils.

It is a lot more detector. Price aint bad either.

The 305 is close to three pounds. Most people
think 3 lbs is light.

I think that is too heavy. My machines are two
pounds.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49275.html#msg49275

Offline Dustyr
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1260 x
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 01:20:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sadly, the ground balance on an F2 is not operator adjustable.
When I get a high tone, I make multiple sweeps in that area to make sure that the target is false or just outside the threshold of the machine and the coil needs to be on top of it.
It boils down to there are no faint signals.
the only reason to use headphones is to not attract attention and increase battery life.
The f2 does not have a volume control, and does let everyone in the park know you are there.  Although I am 61, I am not deaf and the pinpoint mode is sort of a siren going off in a otherwise quiet park.   This ghost chasing gets old.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49460.html#msg49460

Offline Muttpuppy
Copper Member

I clean up well, when I clean up
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher f2
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 01:28:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello
I like my Fisher F2, so far has been good for me. The only other model I have messed with has been the Ace 250, which I also liked using...seems to be great for me being a beginner for the price

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49461.html#msg49461

Offline Dustyr
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1260 x
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 06:20:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Having gone to a different area of the park, the F2 DID act better.
The area did have many false positive hits, but the F2 did act better.
It is clear that the F2 is a good detector, there are too many people reporting favorable results for me to claim otherwise.  It is an exceedingly good bargain.  On the downside is that it is, evidently, set up for generic soil conditions.  Perhaps my soil conditions were outside the parameters of the norm.   As for me, I going upgrade to F5 with more control-ability.
JrsMetalDetectors is working with me and will take the F2 back as in their money back guarantee.
He wants me to get a new detector from WalMart so I can take that back if/when I don't like it. Huh?
I, assume, he does not want my business further for fear of another return.  Cry
I see his point, but the only way I can make up his loss it to buy another machine.
He was real nice in recommending I buy another machine elsewhere.
Anyway, Jrsmetaldetectors are nice folks  and want happy customers, so 2 thumbs up for them.
Now, where to get an F5?......?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49500.html#msg49500

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 06:44:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I had a Garrett GTAx 500.

It had a set ground balance. It would go nuts in a lot of places
I hunt. It would have been a good machine except for that.

After I sold it, Garrett told me how to adjust the GB internally.

Live and learn,

Tabdog

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49508.html#msg49508

Offline Dustyr
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1260 x
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 03:00:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Having spent Sunday in the park,  and seeing how the F2 was performing- I came to the conclusion that- for the money,  and in spite of the 10 or  20 to 1 ratio of false  targets to real ones that it was a keeper.
The pinpointer that came with the deal, really made my mind up, as returning the unit would return the pinpointer too.   I hated to see that go.  Misty has the tendency to assume the F2 has hit on a false target and move on.  Several times I made her re-investigate a signal and it proved to be an actual hit.
I it also hits in the high coin range and is only a very rusty nail.  The depth indicator is not particularly accurate either.  Nothing in this world is perfect and for the money, the F2 is hard to beat.

I will post a picture of Misty's finds in the park, yesterday.
This area of the park was part of a labor day festival.
We searched about a 50 foot square area.
We strung a string from one side to the other, searched along beside it, and moved the string after each pass. 
Misty stumbled across a small cache of rings and found 2 hematite. one all agate, and one copper/brass? with a gold solder joint.  Of course the agate would not have been found, if it had not been for the hematite.  Some Spanish coin, 5 clad quarters, some dimes, nickles , and pennies.
I will post a picture of that day's finds when I remember not to forget my camera.  She also found a toy car about 1" long.. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49759.html#msg49759

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 04:22:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Don't blame the detector for the finds ratios. That's down to the slobs of this planet who drop their trash everywhere. Fortunately, the biggest slobs are also the more careless or so it seems. After I clear out the trash, I almost always find something of worth.

For years now I have dug every target preferring to hunt in the all metal mode. It's a decision that I have never regretted. I can't begin to count the number of "pull tabs" I have dug that either turned out to be rings or were masking some other item of value. Had I discriminated, I would never have found them. Keep the faith. The treasure is right under your coil. If you look.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49760.html#msg49760

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Bugar
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 04:36:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey It's a good detector, NO DETECTOR=NO DETECTOR=  will ID everything as to what it is, but they do a fine job, GREAT  job for a  $200.00 detector Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49762.html#msg49762

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Offline Dustyr
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1260 x
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 06:16:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Let me clear the air.
When I mean false positives, I mean a high tone.
Then when you go to investigate that tone, it is simply not there.
You swing, get a tone, try and find that target, make multiple sweeps to find that target in case your first couple sweeps were off target and there is nothing there.
We dig pull tabs, I got the iron and foil notched out.
Don't make me out as some sort of an idiot....
I am not complaining about digging a rusty iron that shows up as a coin or something.
I am talking about the f2 sounding a target and there IS no target.
AND I did mention what my Granddaughter had found in spite of the F2 hitting on targets that really were not there?
In fact, Misty got so used to the "false" targets that she started over looking real targets by thinking they too were false.  This 13 yr old does not like the machine.  She started out on a 1260x and by God every time it hit, there was something in the ground to dig....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49774.html#msg49774

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 09:01:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dustyr, nobody has to try to make you out to be an idiot. Your machine doesn't appear to have a ground balance but that wouldn't account for false positives. Now, about what can cause that.

1. Do you have metal eyelets in your shoes or does your granddaughter have them? Buckles? Steel toes? Metal shoe lace tips? You'd be amazed at how many seasoned professionals forget that the metal in their shoes can set the detector off from the side of the coil. The field is a torroid, after all.

2. The wire from the coil to the control box can accidentally move in the coil field and be sensed by the detector.  Make sure the coil wire is as perpendicular to the coil as it can be. Taping it or using a wire tie to clamp it near to the shaft is the best way to do that. Again, you would be quite surprised at how many people forget that the coil wire is metal.

Don't take offense at these suggestions. The only person who can make you out to be an idiot is you.

The next time you are in a place where you can make an absolute mess of the hole, dig until you have that false signal on the surface of the ground. Surprisingly enough, a good number of those are actually small pieces of wire which take on the color of the dirt and don't become solid targets until you expose them on the surface. Gold and silver chains can often appear to be false targets as well as earrings, which are very tiny and very hard to pinpoint.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49782.html#msg49782

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: