[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Dustyr
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1260 x
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 12:07:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is Misty holding our treasure from Sunday's outing.
Note the agate ring was found along side the two hematite rings.

The next picture is our collection of trash targets.
These were all solid "hits" so we dug them. Nothing to brag about, but just showing we dig everything the unit "hits" on above notched out iron and foil.

The last picture is our cache of treasure.  Again, not bragging, but illustrating the point of trash to treasure ratio.

Completely separate from that.
(I seem to have difficulty in properly explaining this)
MY F2 will "hit" on a target during a sweep.
When I make follow up sweeps, to get the approximate location of the hit, there is nothing there.
I then scan the area, making overlapping sweeps and there is still nothing there.
So, I have called it a false target, or falsing.   Ghost target, now you hear it and now you don't.

I am not talking about losing a target after digging a hole.

I hope I have better explained my main complaint about MY F2.

Aside from all that, something very strange happened yesterday.

The unit was sitting on the ground, as we were gathering our gear for the day and the fisher pinpointer probe was laying about a yard away.
Then both the f2 and the probe started "going off".
We leave both units on during the entire hunts and work around them, but in this case, no one was near them and both units went off for no apparent reason.  It lasted for about 5-10 seconds.  the pinpointer just buzzed and the F2 sounded like someone was waving a piece of metal over the coil, but very fast....
It got me to wondering if there was a cosmic event or a military event..

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49845.html#msg49845

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

filth 002a.jpg
filth 003a.jpg
filth 004a.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 03:54:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Dustyr
MY F2 will "hit" on a target during a sweep.
When I make follow up sweeps, to get the approximate location of the hit, there is nothing there.
I then scan the area, making overlapping sweeps and there is still nothing there.
So, I have called it a false target, or falsing.   Ghost target, now you hear it and now you don't.

I am not talking about losing a target after digging a hole.

I hope I have better explained my main complaint about MY F2.

It does explain things a bit more. Thank you for that. See if you can duplicate it doing this. Find and metal free area and lay the coil still against the ground without moving it. While it is very stable like that, lift it rapidly up about a foot from the ground and stop abruptly. Do the same by launching it left and right very rapidly from the position of rest. If you get any noise at all that sounds like a target, it normally means that the coil is faulty. All it takes is a single strand of the coil wire to be loose rather than embedded in the plastic to cause a false at the end of the coil travel.

Unfortunately this is the price we pay for the modern technology we now rely on and expect. The sensitivity of your machine is miles ahead of older machines and as I pointed out earlier, even the tiniest movement your coil wire can give a false positive at the end of the coil swing. As I mentioned earlier, the edge of your coil is far more sensitive than most people realize and you might just be picking up something less obvious near the end of the coil travel. Yours is not the only machine to do this kind of behavior, Dustyr. Some manufacturers have taken to putting a Faraday shield on the top and sides of their coils. This limits field strength (that equates to depth) but allows very accurate pinpointing and completely eliminates side detection from working near metal poles.

If there are other F2 users here on the forums, perhaps they'll chime in with their experiences. My Garrett Groundhog used to do that phantom signal at the end of coil travel and it was down to the coil shaft being aluminum rather than plastic. I fashioned a plastic shaft and it went away. The coil weight would give the shaft the tiniest movement and the metal to metal rubbing of the shaft would cause it to false. I replaced it with a Plexiglass(tm) rod, shaped at the end for the coil, and it stopped falsing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49864.html#msg49864

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:10:33 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline mikeK
Silver Member

purrrr
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany
Referrals: 0

2940.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1266 and f2
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 03:01:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

golddigger your 100% right with the f2 sensitivity,I bought one early this year and had the same problems with the detector,I hated it at first,and was hard to work with it in trashy parks,untill I reduced the sensitivity to nearly zero,and god was it a diffrent machine,down,down,down with the sensitivity button, [wise]then after that I just loved this great low budget detector,what a diffrence,in no time I was pulling up lots of modern coins and silver jewellery,I search in all mode with it,and the discrim is excellent,ok surface iron bottle caps(beer mostly)give a positive signal,but I can live with that,ok the depth is not the best,I bashed the park with it in the first month and done realy well,was not untill I searched the same park with the minelab xterra,that I noticed the f2 depth problem,but for a US200 you cant go wrong,,by the way its 300euro over here,its a great light weight switch on and go detector,and as soon as you master it you will love it,as I say you can only find whats there to be found,a few weeks later I found a gold ring in a diffrent park with the minelab maybe 2.5cm deep,the first thing I said to my self was the f2 would of found that If I was useing the f2,dont worry the f2 will produce the goodies,,,,HH and the best of luck with the f2,mikek

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2448.msg49935.html#msg49935

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: