[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SvenSTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro, Detectorpro, Mirage PI (my own)
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:49:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

The Fisher ID Edge is proving to be a wonderful detector. A true sleeper, is not talked about much and not many have tried. My guess it has been passed up by treasure hunters because it does not have ID icons to indicate what the target is and or depth. Even tho it has two main ways of ID'ing a target, 4 tone audio and a number LCD screen. It's just a basic ID machine.
For many that's all they need.

Now you do have to take some time and learn the numbers by digging them.
Or do an air testing with multiple targets and make a chart and then a small cheat sheet to be taped to the control housing. Guess this is too much for too many treasure hunters. They want it simple, the detector to do all that.
Well the Edge will make you work at it and eventually reward you with many finds.

I have put in plenty of hours and during the first 20, like many other owners couldn't decide if I really liked the unit. Some days wanted to sell other days wanted to keep. Well after 4 weeks of detecting, I have clicked with the Edge and decided to keep it. Was told this would happen and to give it a chance.

I am used to a single tone machine hunting in all metal mode and checking with disc mode then deciding to dig or not. Beep and dig.
Not used to the 4 tones at first...............eventually decided best way to hunt up here in Canada is CP disc mode, with discrimination setting at almost zero. Almost zero is accepting all iron numbers that start at 0 and go to -36. I accept targets -28 to +34. I ignore all minus numbers except for those that fall between -19 to -28. In this range Canadian claddage (on edge) will signal off and register a number or bounce between those numbers. quarters usually will lock on at -21. Any of the Canadian claddage that is lying flat will bounce in the positive numbers. Canadian clad is made of nickel plated steel. Tough for most detectors to ID.
Gold rings and silver will lock on to particular numbers. By listening to the tone and watching the numbers in CP disc mode, then using the all metal pinpoint button. I can usually make a good guesstimate of what the target might be. I do have a chart made out that proves to be very accurate.

I am finding this detector is deeper than I originally thought and is sensitive to small good targets. I am finding lots of pennies and dimes down to 7" using the small 6" search coil. It's a clad magnet. And really shines in trashy areas. Pennies at 7" are still pretty loud and have a fainter softer sound in pinpoint mode.

I have used the Edge in parks, schoolyards, soccer fields and on the beach and have come to really enjoy using it. So much so I traded my Tesoro Eldorado umax for another Edge. So I will have two Edge detectors with 3 coils so now i can keep the 6" on one and use either the 8 or 10" on the other. I also like that the control housing can be slid right off the arm rest handle and be hip mounted. Removing the housing also makes it easier to stuff into a backpack.

I decided on the Edge because of a few well known owners found these detectors to be a real power house in the field. They have provided me with many tips to help me get the most out of it. I'm still learning and can't wait to get out again with it.

Found lots of coins so far and my first Canadian half dollar this weekend as well as my second hash pipe.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27701.msg196504.html#msg196504

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

fisheridedge.jpg
pipe600.jpg

FREE Classic & Vintage Detector Catalog Downloads
Plus a whole lot more. Build my own PI's.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

www.treasurelinx.com

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: