[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline robotekTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:50:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All,

Anyone with a Gold Bug 2 out there?
I'd like some details on its depth of detection and ability to deal with heavy mineralization.

Thanks

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13397.msg84567.html#msg84567

Offline nuggetshooter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GPX 4000, Falcon Probe, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Whites Spectra V3, Whites Matrix M6, Tesoro Silver Sabre
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:52:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,

I have used a Gold Bug 2 for about 12 years.  I have all three coils -6, 10, and 14 inch.  Larger coils equal more depth, but they also pick up more ground mineralization.  When I was in Alaska, I dug a nice .24 ounce nugget at around 9 inches using my 14 inch coil.  The ground was mild and the nugget was round and flat - big target.  I have used the small 6 inch coil and dug many "gold nuggets" that were .1 grains or smaller in size - most of them 1 inch or less in depth.  As far as ground minerals, I hunt mostly in the Sierras of CA or the north western dessert of AZ.  I have had no problem hunting in that soil, ground balancing has never been a problem.  Much of the ground is dark reddish brown in color from iron being present.  I mostly hunt with the detector in the low mineralization setting, but have used the normal and high settings at times.  My sens is around 7-8, and the ground balance setting varies.  I check my ground balance by pumping the coil up and down every few minutes or whenever I see any change in ground color or a terrain change or if I change any of my settings. I always use low mineralization setting whenever I can because it is much quieter and the threshold is much smoother.  Hope this helps.  If you want to talk about the Gold Bug 2 some more, let me know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13397.msg87792.html#msg87792

Darryl

Offline robotekTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:30:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi nuggetshooter,

Thanks for the detailed info on the Gold Bug 2. So you've had it for 12 years. I didn't know it had been around for that long.
On the Fisher site, I noticed there's a new GB coming out "real soon now": the 'New Gold Bug'. I wonder how much improvement it will have on the GB 2. It's a lower price, though, so we'll have to wait and see how the two detectors measure up against each other.

An interesting thing I've noticed is that you own quite an array of detectors, including a GPX4000 and a Falcon probe.
I have used a 4000 but not a probe. That's another thing on my shopping list.

Since you've used all three: GB2, GPX4000 and Falcon probe, can I fire a few more questions at you?
At the same depth and in the same ground (not heavily mineralised), which detector will find more small nuggets (say 0.2 gram), the 4000 or the GB2, using the optimum coils for the 2 machines?
Can the probe find much smaller gold (particles, I guess) than the GB2 and 4000? How deep can it go?
Have you found much with the probe, especially gold inside crevices?

Thanks a lot.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13397.msg89270.html#msg89270

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: