[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline scoobylovesjazzTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace-250
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:37:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Please forgive me if as a noob I am being to forward, but I figured I might see if someone has gone down this road before me prior to trying to navigate the bureaucracy (though if that is the route I end up going, I will be sure to report back). Has anyone (without any "special connections") been able to get permission to hunt/MD on state land from any state agencies? I am particularly interested in the South Florida Water Management District and the Florida Inland Navigation District though any experience anyone has had with other agencies would be welcome. I already know from my reading to forget asking the State Park service but I haven't found anything online about other state entities.

For what it's worth, I am not particularly hopeful, but maybe since the SFWMD is okay with people putting holes in their wildlife they would be okay with a few refilled holes in their land (though after typing that I realize that is logical, so likely the opposite of what the gov't would allow).

John

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27270.msg192966.html#msg192966

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:55:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Asking for permission in the Forest is like pulling teeth from a live Jaguar!

Don't know.    Ask em and see what they say.

I'm sure the first time is going to be NO but you have to go up the ladders.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27270.msg193025.html#msg193025

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Like Homefire said its an uphill battle but it never hurts to ask, at least you know where you stand. Florida and Texas are the hardest states to work with but it can be done in Florida.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27270.msg193034.html#msg193034

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace-250
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:49:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That's what I was thinking, but like you guys said it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks

John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27270.msg193036.html#msg193036

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:33:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I know from my past travels that many of the state beach parks in Florida WILL let you detect as long as you A) stop by the park office and get permission and B) stay in the designated areas (or at least out of the areas they tell you are off-limits).   In-land, it's apparently a lot harder to get permission at the state parks in Florida.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27270.msg193040.html#msg193040

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace-250
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 12:10:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I had heard that about state parks, which is why I figured that the SFWMD would be a better place to ask since they seem to allow a lot more uses of their land (including hunting). We'll see. There are some windmills off in the distance so I am off Rider....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27270.msg193133.html#msg193133

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace-250
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:38:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Just a quick update for anyone finding this thread through search (or happen to be following the thread), I got a firm NO from the Executive Director of the Florida Inland Navigation District.

Hopefully this can save someone else some time if they find a site they want to hunt that is owned by the district.

I am still waiting to hear back from the SFWMD (the public information contact is out of the office) and will update the thread when I know something.

John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27270.msg193214.html#msg193214

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 10:48:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good luck with that John, fingers crossed, I hope it comes through for ya

AU

Posted on: September 02, 2011, 10:45:09 AM
I got the same problem here and the only land you can hunt is private or farm land.

When I asked to detect a grass field they said there was anceint plant life in the forest,
so I asked what has that got to do with me and what I'm doing, but they could not ansewer.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27270.msg193216.html#msg193216

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace-250
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 09:35:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

I just got a call from a gentleman at the South Florida Water Management District and I wanted to share the results. According to the information he gave me, the district does not have any rules regarding or prohibiting detecting on their land as long as you do not remove any natural resources, BUT (and it is kind of a big one) a lot of the districts property is actually managed by other agencies (primarily the Fish and Wildlife Commission) who may have more rules that apply, so you need to check first.

ADDITIONALLY, I came across this in the state statutes (

Please Register or Login

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0200-0299/0267/Sections/0267.13.html
) which states:

"Any person who by means of excavation either conducts archaeological field investigations on, or removes or attempts to remove, or defaces, destroys, or otherwise alters any archaeological site or specimen located upon, any land owned or controlled by the state or within the boundaries of a designated state archaeological landmark or landmark zone, except in the course of activities pursued under the authority of a permit or under procedures relating to accredited institutions granted by the division, commits a felony of the third degree"

AND

"The division may institute an administrative proceeding to impose an administrative fine of not more than $500 a day on any person or business organization that, without written permission of the division, explores for, salvages, or excavates treasure trove, artifacts, sunken or abandoned ships, or other objects having historical or archaeological value located on state-owned or state-controlled lands, including state sovereignty submerged lands"

While I am not a lawyer (nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) it would seem based on my lay reading of the law and how the courts would define an "archaeological field investigation", "archaeological specimen", and/or "historical or archaeological value" one could potentially get in a deal of trouble just using a detector while carrying a digging implement on state land (at least from looking at this specific statute - others may interact in ways that negate or enhance the risk) regardless of whether or not your intent was just to look for modern leavings if the state wanted to push the issue and claim you were conducting a "archaeological field investigation". (Though, I may just be over-thinking things, but I tend to be overly cautious when it comes to possibly pissing off the gov't)

Since I don't want to be a test case, I think I am going to look elsewhere for interesting places to detect that are privately owned (the local governments pretty much make detecting in their parks a no-no - though I would be more than happy to pay for a permit if they offered one, but that is a whole other  ).  Sad

Coincidentally, considering the above statute it makes me wonder where the allowance for detecting on the beach, which is state land, and getting to keep your older finds (i.e. Spanish gold/silver coins) comes from. I know I have read online that is the case, but never from anywhere official or with links to any official info. Does anyone know what statutes, case law, etc. allows this? (I know with the number of people detecting on Florida's beaches any issues would have come to light by now, it is just my overly inquisitive nature that compels me to ask why.)

I now realize how long winded this "quick" post has gotten so I'll stop now before it gets any worse.

John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27270.msg193824.html#msg193824

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:56:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

well John that about sums it up over here to, Some smart A$$ makes a ruling for a piece of ground
that they dont know exsists that they have no desire to even go there,
If they are going to render the land useless to everyday folks they might as well as use it for testing
Nukes coz whats the point of it they wont use it, We cant use it so who the hell can Angry Angry Angry

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27270.msg193844.html#msg193844

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: