[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline lookinferbootyTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

235.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Safari & the Garrett 250
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:55:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Does anyone know where to find detailed info on old indian camps or early settlements in Florida?  Most of what I have found does not have allot of detail.  I do not dive the waters yet and I just wanted to find some old places on land that would be fun to search.  If anyone knows of old treasure tales of buried treasure in Florida, please post them, it would be great to read and research. Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5579.msg34549.html#msg34549

Freedom IS NOT free!  Have you thanked a Veteran today?

Offline wheelwoman27
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:29:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

try reading "floridas fabulous treasures"  by jeffery kramer. some really good spots to look for. ps if you can find pics of the copper chart please offer me that info. Teach

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5579.msg39681.html#msg39681

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 02:59:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The recording of the data you are seeking was sparse. That is pretty much why it is referred to as prehistory. Much of what you are looking for was handed down from person to person rather then written. The Native Americans of Florida did not print books preferring to sing their tales and legends to each other and to each generation. Why sing? Because remembering a rhyming verse is easier than remembering an entire story word for word.

In the maritime archives in Florida, there are literally thousands of references to contact with Native Americans. I have seen some of them. Those mentions are hardly glanced at by those seeking sunken treasure but they are there for you to find the major encampments. I once picked up a booklet from St Thomas in the Virgin Islands about the gun supply route during the American Revolution. I forget the name of the booklet now now but the Native Americans in Florida were mentioned throughout the booklet as the primary point for dropping off weapons needed to fight the British. It was something I got from the St Thomas Historical Society many years ago.

I highly recommend your local historical society as a prime resource for treasure hunting. A bit of advice? Do not ever mention that you are a treasure hunter. You may get knifed on the spot. Simply mention your interest in local history and let them fill in the blanks. Join them as a member and you will usually get access to more important documents.

Sometimes the research is as much fun as the physical hunt. Good luck to you both.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5579.msg39685.html#msg39685

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline evlstrike
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 03:29:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I know from living is South Florida many of our county parks take pride in providing historical data to the public.  Most have large maps posted with early Native American settlements, as well as, Seminole War sites.  I know in a few of the National Parks on the East Coast of Florida they have early Spanish and French settlement locations posted, as well as, locations of indigenous peoples.  I found the following group of maps from 1491-1859 which have basic information on settlements. 

Please Register or Login

Native American Florida Maps

I thought this was another interesting site:

Please Register or Login

Florida Indian Tribes

and Another:

Please Register or Login

Florida Maps

Please Register or Login

Florida Maps 2

Hope it helps?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5579.msg74613.html#msg74613

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:08:03 pm by evlstrike »
Offline grillz
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GPX 4500
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 06:44:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gd;
     You are one of the very few, and I mean very few, people that has ever mentioned watching the use of the words 'treasure hunter'.
I belonged, note the past tense, to a small group of md'ers and only once was the subject broached, by myself.  I mentioned the evils of using certain expressions, such as, TH'er or salvager or cache hunter and the effect it has on the average person as they envision chests of treasure buried by pirates, or by western bad guys after robbing the stage. In general, they are real no-nos'. That we should adopt the term 'searcher' as it doesn't convey what we're really doing. I gave all the reasons why we should drop the generally used expressions for differant terminology.
The general response of the group was, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Mine was, bye, bye, bye.  Ed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5579.msg74651.html#msg74651

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 10:24:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

check out

Please Register or Login

http://www.northamericanforts.com
. There is a list of the forts in Florida. Should be some good hunting there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5579.msg75193.html#msg75193

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 04:15:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Grillz, some people never learn and it makes it doubly hard on the rest of us.   It is a very good thing to be interested in local history, genealogy, and folklore and legends.   And if you can show that you're a serious student of any of these things by asking thoughtful question all the better, and especially if you are even remotely considering writing a book or a series of articles about the subject, or planning on sharing your knowledge with young people.   People will bend over backwards to help you find leads when they know you really are interested in learning the little details of the local history.......but these same people will clam up tighter than you can imagine if they get the idea your interested in destroying their history by digging up "treasure" or "loot".  And a lot of them will think it is their patriotic duty to stop you (even if most of the artifacts in their museum were donated by people like you).

So, Lookinferbooty and the rest of you who are looking for research leads in libraries, historical societies, courthouses, etc pay good attention to the advice that GD and Grillz have given you......unless you know for absolute certain that the person you are talking to is a fellow metal detectorist do NOT tell  them your looking for treasure leads or leads to buried anything. 

You're not being deceptive,  you're being smart and playing your cards close to your chest.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5579.msg75562.html#msg75562

Offline grillz
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GPX 4500
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 08:39:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

lookinferbooty;
      There is a book entitled 'Ghost Town Locations In Florida', it covers 350 forgotten sites. The author is Jim Warnke, the ISBN# is: 0-9631693-1-9. Look it up on the net, but check around, I've seen prices from $10.00 to $175.00. It was $6.00 new.
Use the ISBN, (International Standard Book Number), if you know it. This number is what the book sellers always use to locate books. The author is next and then the book title.

I have a list of Florida forts that will pain everyone a bit, and this is a partial list. All these forts are destroyed, paved over, or built upon i.e., developments, shopping centers, etc.
Fraser, Gadsen, Cooper, Alabama, Hartsuff, Jupiter, Henry, McCoy, Mellon, Picolata, Thompson, Maitland, Gatlin, Davenport, Brooks, Camp Morris, a WWII site, and Bayport, a CSA Battery.  Olustee Battlefield is a State Park. All of these are unexplorable, and most if not all were destroyed with the full knowledge of their importance.

Where were the archaeologists, our nemisis, the protectors of the peoples heritage, when the bulldozers arrived?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5579.msg75605.html#msg75605

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 12:19:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Where were the archaeologists, our nemisis, the protectors of the peoples heritage, when the bulldozers arrived?

They were driving the bulldozers.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5579.msg75654.html#msg75654

Offline grillz
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GPX 4500
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:23:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good reply salvor6. D... I wish I'd thought of that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5579.msg75754.html#msg75754

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: