[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 05:46:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by kayakpirate
I have never seen a real picture of the actual Gonzales copper chart and I have researched this treasure on and off for 20 years. It is supposed to be in some museum in Miami but I can't find it.

Perhaps it's in a private collection. It would explain why it's so hard to find. Museums generally want their items to be seen since the admission fees pay their freight, if you know what I mean. Hiding it doesn't really do them any good.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6584.msg46524.html#msg46524

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline kayakpirate
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 06:11:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm trying that picture again

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6584.msg46534.html#msg46534

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

lettucelake.jpg

Offline FISHEYE
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

2 aquasounds,2 aqua pulses,1 fisher impulse,1 teg,1 dalton mag,1 Wesmar SHD700SS side scan sonar
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 03:44:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gasparilla is a myth,made up by a land developer years ago in florida to suck in buyers.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6584.msg46600.html#msg46600

Millions of dollars of Spanish treasure await those who would dare brave the eye of the hurricane.

Offline Dell_Winders
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male

2355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 08:49:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Is there no record of a Pirate named "Jose Gaspar" ?   Dell

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6584.msg46635.html#msg46635

"WHAT HAS BEEN DONE, CAN BE DONE"

Offline ksightler
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1860.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 VLF; Garrett Sea Hunter XL500 Pulse; JW Fishers Pulse 12
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 11:47:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Read the page on this link:

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.com/books?id=LEVpJytFVYcC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=juan+gonzales+copper+code&source=bl&ots=6PPdSjzOp3&sig=euvvq1347VfDExolYDg24MSJ9dw&hl=en&ei=icCYSvr3DIeKsAOa4dHaBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=juan%20gonzales%20copper%20code&f=false

page 39

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6584.msg46799.html#msg46799

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 02:26:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I spent a lot of time metal detecting around Lettuce Lake. Found nothing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6584.msg52862.html#msg52862

Offline kayakpirate
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 10:28:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Has anyone ever seen one of the cofferdams that are supposedly in the area?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6584.msg52939.html#msg52939

Offline pccvanwilder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 03:41:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

ok... i have been reading all these pages about jose gaspar with great interest and sometimes amusement. my turn to add my "two cents."  i am a treasure hunter/ historian buff that is consumed with pirates.  after what some would call too much studying and researching, let me share some things i have learned pertaining to pirates and this one in particular.

first of all, gasparilla was indeed a real pirate that really existed. there is no doubt about this. the few of you that would say otherwise are mistaken... plain and simple. im sure you have read that, and are are not just spouting off your opinion, but you can also read seemingly convincing information about santa claus being real or Jesus Christ never walking the earth. now lets move on and focus on facts.

to start with, pirates were not all rich, and some were much richer than we even realize.  with the exception of a few pirates, most became pirates to avoid the "drudgeries" of normal life and or to run away from their problems with their families, the law, etc. it was like a modern day nomad who lives in his van or in the wilderness and just turns his back on society. sure, some started off working for their government and plundering their enemies, but few ended that way. they would become infatuated with "easy" money, and the adrenaline rush involved with their way of living, and even when trying to retire would have a hard time, just like athletes, (etc.) do today when they try to retire from something that has been their whole life.

now? on to Jose Gaspar.  it is indeed true that this pirate accumulated vast amounts of treasure and riches. what is seldom realized is that most of this wealth was not left in the tampa area.  when gasparilla?s pirating days were coming to an end, he decided to send most of his wealth to other places outside florida. if you think this does not sound correct, trust me? some of this wealth that was sent elsewhere has been found, which i have personally verified.   the most amusing thing is that often times the people who have found it did not know how it came to be there or where it was from. they would have been VERY surprised to find out that it was actually pirate gold and silver.  It DOES seem to be true that some of his treasure we left around the tampa area, but this is true of pirates all over the world.  it was just not logical for pirates to haul their new found riches all over the world.  i was recently reading of one treasure that was found out west in the past 50 years and has been verified by many many people high up in the military, government, etc.  it literally was billions of dollars worth of gold and silver that was found, that was originally being brought from mexico over land, and it took the government months to move the treasure. if it took our government months to move this treasure with trucks and planes, can you imagine one or two pirate ships hauling this stuff wherever they went? even if their stolen possessions were nowhere near that much? there was no safe place to deposit this wealth, so most pirates would bury it, hide it, spend it, or send it elsewhere.  by doing this in many places, no matter where they ended up, if they needed money they had riches hidden nearby and were able to get along with no problem. 

i guess what it comes down to is this. if the tampa bay area was used by jose as a base, and we know for a fact it was, there is bound to be treasure left to find? whether his or smaller caches left by individual pirates that hid their share of the treasure.  treasure has been found all over this area like the one Dell mentioned. 

i have to go, but more information is coming soon. i will attempt to answer your questions on these matters in a timely manner.

The next thing

lll

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6584.msg63005.html#msg63005

Offline rider_87
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 11:22:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

makes we wanna start seaching...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6584.msg98503.html#msg98503

Offline Diver06
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2011, 01:00:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So I am currently looking at the picture of the engraving from the link posted and have a few ideas so far. Legua translated means league, which was a commonly used unit of distance in that time. Now different places have different leagues, but seeing that Gasparilla and Juan Gonzalez are Spaniards I went with their unit which is about 4.2 km or 2.6 miles. Now right after that it says 1/10 so I took that to meant that it is 1/10 of a league away from the coded starting point, or about a quarter mile. I haven't looked into the position of the lake at that time, but it wouldn't be right on the shore based on this theory, and depending on if/how far the lake has moved it could be miles away now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6584.msg181259.html#msg181259

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Up
Jump to: