[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline texasred777
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

95.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Bounty Hunter 840, + non working BH 840,  Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707, BH Lone Star,  BH Tracker IV, and MD-3005 (Harbor Freight)
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 07:30:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ok, guys.  I'm a Texan!  Although I've transplanted to Idaho.  I wrote a reply yesterday, but can't find it this morning.  I guess I left the page without 'posting' it.  
I lived in Texas from 1942 'til 2007, so I'm assuming that I'm still a 'Texan'  All of these recipes are ok.  There's only one problem.  I won't eat chili here in Idaho, and very seldom find any that I'll buy canned.  In Texas there were some places that I wouldn't eat their chili.  I used to buy some canned chili, but it just isn't/wasn't like homemade.  
Here at home, we make chili at least once or twice a month.  Sometime we make it with 'cubed' chunks of beef, and sometime with ground beef.  When I make it, I'd rather use ground beef and maybe a little ground pork.  I brown the meat until it is no longer red.  I use several other ingredients all in one big pot that's left to simmer for several hours.  It's been some time since I made a pot of chili, so I'd have to go find my 'personal' recipe for it.  My son-in-law does most of the cooking.  I live with my daughter, son-in-law, grandson, and son.  So, when we make chili, we make a big pot so it'll last a day or too.  I really don't like my chili very hot.  I want a lot of heat; but not hot enough to scorch my mouth (or the other end when it comes out!).  
My problem with all of your recipes, and the restaurants/cafe's here in Idaho, some back in Texas, and a lot of the canned chili is the fact that they have beans in it!!
I have only seen a few places here that carry any canned chili without beans, except the Hormel brand.  The old 'Wolf' brand chili is probably the best known brand down south.  I grew up eating it, unless we had homemade.  But, I don't remember having beans in the chili more a couple of times in my life.  
I believe that during the old 'wild west' days when the big ranchers had bunkhouses and cooks for the cowboys, it was a tradition to add beans to the chili is there seemed to be a chance of too many 'eaters' and not enough chili to eat.  Beans were used as a 'filler'.  Some people like the taste of beans in their chili.  I don't.  I want my chili with a little catsup, saltine crackers, and nothing else.  If I want a little side dish, I want a lettuce, red cabbage, and shredded carrot salad with a little dressing.  Now that's the way I like to eat my chili!  

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57406.msg278846.html#msg278846

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:37:23 am by texasred777 »

Old Texan transplanted in Idaho.  Love Idaho; but sure miss Texas!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2014, 09:33:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by texasred777
 I lived in Texas from 1942 'til 2007, so I'm assuming that I'm still a 'Texan'  

Personally, I prefer to think of myself as a Texan living in exile.  I may currently reside outside the great state of Texas, but my heart, soul, and loyalty belong to Texas.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57406.msg278848.html#msg278848

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2014, 11:02:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Personally, I prefer to think of myself as a Texan living in exile.  I may currently reside outside the great state of Texas, but my heart, soul, and loyalty belong to Texas.

BA

Remember that when they

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession
   From the Nation.   Texas has been crapped on more then enough for them to do more then talk about it.

Posted on: August 05, 2014, 11:00:48 am

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57406.msg278850.html#msg278850

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 11:31:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire

Remember that when they

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession
  From the Nation.   Texas has been crapped on more then enough for them to do more then talk about it.

Posted on: August 05, 2014, 11:00:48 am

Homie, I've already considered that.  I'm OLD school---I'm an American because I'm a Texan and Texas is part of the United States, but I am a Texan first.   Where my state goes, there go I.   But let's not let this discussion of food degenerate into a debate on proper role a state vis-a-vis the national government in a federal republic (especially when it comes to the role envisioned by the framers vs the current role).   That is a subject for a different thread on a different board.

Now, if someone wants to get into a heated discussion of "Beans" or "No Beans", I'm more than happy to defend the primacy of a bowl of traditional Texas red.   Rider

Heck, I'd even be happy to discuss the relative merits of a good bowl of chili (with or without the beans) vs a good bowl of green chile stew....although we'd need to open a new topic on that subject on this board.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57406.msg278852.html#msg278852

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:32:12 am by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 11:59:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Being a Military Brat, I eat what's put in front of my face to the most parts.  If it's still wiggling, or I know it parts of a Animal I Keep as a Pet it's not going to happen.

Chilli, I have ate , Enjoyed more then a few types.   Beans, I like But Without Beans is better for some Meals.  Real Bread like French or Hard loaf Sour Doe is good with Chili.  Crackers are good but not as good as Baking Powder Bisects and a bit of Salsa.  I Guess it all boils down to how you grew up.  I don't do Fish unless I catch it , cook it the same hour.  Store Fish is a NO NO.     Chili can be made a Zillon ways and maybe only 100,000 ways taste good to you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57406.msg278854.html#msg278854

Offline Ridge RunnerTopic starter
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2014, 01:29:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homie, I've already considered that.  I'm OLD school---I'm an American because I'm a Texan and Texas is part of the United States, but I am a Texan first.   Where my state goes, there go I.   But let's not let this discussion of food degenerate into a debate on proper role a state vis-a-vis the national government in a federal republic (especially when it comes to the role envisioned by the framers vs the current role).   That is a subject for a different thread on a different board.

Now, if someone wants to get into a heated discussion of "Beans" or "No Beans", I'm more than happy to defend the primacy of a bowl of traditional Texas red.   Rider

Heck, I'd even be happy to discuss the relative merits of a good bowl of chili (with or without the beans) vs a good bowl of green chile stew....although we'd need to open a new topic on that subject on this board.

BA

Im going to try them all, But I want to Make the True Knock down Drag out TEXAS CHILLI,

I might have to Go and get some Stainless steel Pots as mine are non stick and it just might melt the coating off them, Seriously.
they are not good for leaving on the stove for 3-5 hours, I think ??
Would you Mind Doing A Thread of Green Chilli Stew step by Step, I have never heard of that before.    Thanks BA.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57406.msg278861.html#msg278861

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2014, 01:44:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you GooGle Texas Chilli your going to have enough to read to write a few books.   Go with the Basics and Injoy every Experiment.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57406.msg278864.html#msg278864

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2014, 01:45:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

"Would you Mind Doing A Thread of Green Chilli Stew step by Step, I have never heard of that before."

Sure look for it in the next couple of days.   Not surprising that you haven't heard of it.  Green Chili Stew is a New Mexican/eastern Arizona dish that owes at least as much to the local Native American influence as it does the Mexican.   It's a great dish for when the weather starts nipping at you and the leaves start turning colors.

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/empty-t57406.0.html;msg278856;topicseen#new

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57406.msg278866.html#msg278866

Offline Ridge RunnerTopic starter
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2014, 02:08:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

"Would you Mind Doing A Thread of Green Chilli Stew step by Step, I have never heard of that before."

Sure look for it in the next couple of days.   Not surprising that you haven't heard of it.  Green Chili Stew is a New Mexican/eastern Arizona dish that owes at least as much to the local Native American influence as it does the Mexican.   It's a great dish for when the weather starts nipping at you and the leaves start turning colors.

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/empty-t57406.0.html;msg278856;topicseen#new

Thanks Ba, when ever your Ready, No panic I'm  Trying out all the Recipes we got here so far

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57406.msg278869.html#msg278869

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2014, 01:00:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well this is getting to be a lot of fun indeed and I sure would like to know more about this green chili too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,57406.msg278905.html#msg278905

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: