[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline MudflapTopic starter
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 03, 2013, 08:42:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There was a ripoff. Got 2 magazines after doing a lot of complaining, several months late and then they went bust with all the subscribers hard earned money!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48462.msg264264.html#msg264264

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:12:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry to hear that Mud but I have been had more then once on magazines like that. Few years back a group in the Dallas area started a treasure/ Indian artifact mag, they sent flyers and emails to 10's of 1000's of hunters about 3000 paid 54 bucks for a year to date not one mag has been delivered.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48462.msg264275.html#msg264275

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 01:31:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'll start by saying I don't have near enough facts to make a reasonable judgment on what actually happened in either case cited or whether there was any intention on the part of the "publishers" of either magazine to do anything other than what they stated they intended.

I will say that is a common failing of many new companies to seriously underestimate both their upfront/setup costs and their immediate income, especially when they are pre-selling items (which is basically what a magazine subscription is) and are counting on the pre-sales to cover the costs of producing and delivering the product (as well as paying the staff).    Estimating initial costs is difficult enough when a person has actually worked in the target industry for a while.   It becomes much more complicated and much more subject to catastrophic miscalculation when you are new to the industry (in this case publishing).   Add to that Meteorite Magazine missed the meteorite bubble and you have a recipe for disaster (had they come out 9 months to a year earlier, they might have had a better chance of succeeding, but by the time they started making noise, "Meteorite Men" and all the associated meteorite hype was already starting to wind down and fall back to "normal" levels of interest.

Not excusing what happened and very much in sympathy with you, but just giving some fat to chew and a bit of advice to anyone considering doing something similar in the future.   And as far as saying they should have refunded your money, while the most ethical response, that might quite literally not been possible.   Every cent received from subscriptions and ever cent received from loans and mortgaging personal property  may have already been spent on trying to get the business up and running.   In the case of bankruptcy, subscribers generally are lower in the legal pecking order than other creditors.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48462.msg264278.html#msg264278

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:35:06 pm by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:58:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think BA hit the nail on the head. I feel in my case the folks trying to put it together way under estimated the start up cost and were not trying to scam anyone. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48462.msg264279.html#msg264279

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline MudflapTopic starter
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:38:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I agree with both of you. Good idea, just too many things not thought out. Maybe they underestimated the overhead of advertising, mailing etc. Customer support went from e-mail response with promises to no e-mail response at all. Poof.... Gone. Just grousing a bit....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48462.msg264301.html#msg264301

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:40:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Mudflap
Just grousing a bit....

Don't blame you a bit on that point

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48462.msg264306.html#msg264306

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:10:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

His magazine was a real class effort though. His layout was superb, the photography is terrific and the writing was excellent. Take it from a guy who publishes 3 of these in digital format on unrelated subjects. The problem that I saw and told him about was that he was not in conformance with postal regulations on periodicals. He had no idea he needed to register a digitial magazine with them and when he had them printed, he mailed them. Oops. I'm just guessing here but he may have been shut down because of his lack of registering and complying with federal regulations.

If he sees this thread, perhaps he'll comment. It was a well intentioned effort and a really nice magazine. Even I, who have zero interest in meteorites, found it to be a wonderful effort.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48462.msg264310.html#msg264310

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline mrs.oroblanco
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Female
United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:03:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm really curious about these "federal regulations" and digitized copies of magazines for mailing.  I mail these things all the time (I'm an assistant Post Master), and I have no clue what you are talking about. Are you talking the regulations to get special rates for mailing magazines?  Thanks,

Mrs.O

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48462.msg264832.html#msg264832

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 08:16:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mrs.oroblanco
I'm really curious about these "federal regulations" and digitized copies of magazines for mailing.  I mail these things all the time (I'm an assistant Post Master), and I have no clue what you are talking about. Are you talking the regulations to get special rates for mailing magazines?  Thanks,

Call your local Post Office for details. It's a federal regulation. All periodicals, even digital, have to comply.

And by the way, "I'm really curious" doesn't mean that I have to do your research. If you are curious, find out about them.

Hint: Start off by picking up a year end issue of almost any magazine - December or last quarter or whatever. They have the statement of ownership and subscription information and the regulation is cited there. Federal law.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48462.msg264839.html#msg264839

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:19:46 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline mrs.oroblanco
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Female
United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Call your local Post Office for details. It's a federal regulation. All periodicals, even digital, have to comply.

And by the way, "I'm really curious" doesn't mean that I have to do your research. If you are curious, find out about them.

Hint: Start off by picking up a year end issue of almost any magazine - December or last quarter or whatever. They have the statement of ownership and subscription information and the regulation is cited there. Federal law.

You don't have to do my research - I'm curious what you are talking about - I'm a Postmaster.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48462.msg272295.html#msg272295

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: